Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2006 5:48:27 PM EDT
I just watched FMJ again and it looked like there was a lever action rifle laying on the ground at Crazes feet when he was talking to Rafterman about the dead VC that Rafterman was about to take a picture of.

Anybody else spot it?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:56:37 PM EDT
[#1]
there's a red ryder BB gun which can be seen in certain scenes of the movie.  could that be it?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:58:07 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
there's a red ryder BB gun which can be seen in certain scenes of the movie.  could that be it?

Could be but this seemed to have a smaller barrel than the thick Red Ryder.  I didn't know about the Red Ryder appearing in the movie..
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:05:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I was just at this scene when I read this. It looks like a Red Ryder to me. Seems too small to be anything else.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:13:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Could be but this seemed to have a smaller barrel than the thick Red Ryder.  I didn't know about the Red Ryder appearing in the movie..

Sounds like something Stanley Kubrick would do.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:15:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like something Stanley Kubrick would do.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:30:01 PM EDT
[#6]
dudes got it straped to his pack in one scene.

MLW>"<
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:53:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Its a Red Ryder.

Back in Viet Nam, alot of troopers, Marines, Sailors, and Airman, used to write "Its a Daisy" on the tank cannons, artillery pieces, heavy machinegun armor.  Apparently it was a popular commercial slogan that made its way to war.

I think Kubrik got the idea from some soldier who took some hotos of his friends, back at base camp, one of the soldiers, got all tough looking with face paint, crossed belts of ammo, and a knife in his teeth...he had a Red Ryder in his arms looking like he would kill the entire NVA.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:54:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I recall something about the Red Ryder in "The Short Timers" or one of Gus Hasford's other books.  

FYI, FMJ was based on "The Short Timers".
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:42:31 PM EDT
[#9]
It's a Red Ryder. Same character carries it in several scenes, including the "Vietname the movie" scene and strapped to his backpack in a later scene.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:01:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Here's a crappy sceenshot of it.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:13:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Ever so lovingly tagged.

Gonna have to watch it again now..
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:25:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Someone is holding one in the scene where the documentary crew pans left while the guys are hiding behind the tanks.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:51:06 PM EDT
[#13]

In several of the Vietnam scenes a Red Ryder B.B. gun can be seen in the squad leaders pack, and in the scene where "Vietnam: The Movie" is being filmed he is holding it in his hand as the camera crew goes by.

www.imdb.com/title/tt0093058/trivia
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:56:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Full Metal Jacket

A Screenplay by Stanley Kubrick & Michael Herr

www.visual-memory.co.uk/amk/doc/0065.html

"And this is our squad leader, Crazy Earl."
    Crazy Earl is armed with an M-16 and a Red
Ryder BB gun.   Crazy Earl looks at Joker.  There
is no expression on his face.  "There it is," he
says.  "They call me Crazy Earl.  Gooks love me
until I blow them away.  Then they don't love me
anymore."

Hand Job laughs, "Hey, I pissed all over
myself."  But he looks down and sees he's soaked
in blood from his stomach to his knees.  A flicker
of comprehension as he falls dead.
    Crazy Earl starts whooping and hollering and
shooting his Red Ryder - BB gun.  A sniper's
bullet drills him right through his head.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:07:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Here are a few more.

In this one he holds it out and says "I'll be Gen Custer"

The screenshots suck because I'm using a crappy downloaded version of the movie.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:15:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:24:25 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The battle in 'Hue' was filmed at the old Becton Gasworks in the East End of London, about 400 yds from were I lived at the time. Feakiest thing to wake up in the morning, look out your window and watching them blowing up Vietnam!

ANdy

And I thought our downtowns looked rough.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:17:29 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Full Metal Jacket

A Screenplay by Stanley Kubrick & Michael Herr

www.visual-memory.co.uk/amk/doc/0065.html

"And this is our squad leader, Crazy Earl."
    Crazy Earl is armed with an M-16 and a Red
Ryder BB gun.   Crazy Earl looks at Joker.  There
is no expression on his face.  "There it is," he
says.  "They call me Crazy Earl.  Gooks love me
until I blow them away.  Then they don't love me
anymore."

Hand Job laughs, "Hey, I pissed all over
myself."  But he looks down and sees he's soaked
in blood from his stomach to his knees.  A flicker
of comprehension as he falls dead.
    Crazy Earl starts whooping and hollering and
shooting his Red Ryder - BB gun.  A sniper's
bullet drills him right through his head.

That script does not match the copy of FMJ that I'm watching.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:09:51 AM EDT
[#19]
"R. Lee Ermey was involved in a jeep accident during the making of the movie. At 1am he skidded off the road, breaking all of his ribs on his left side. He refused to pass out, and kept flashing his car lights until a motorist stopped. In some scenes, you notice that he does not move his left arm at all."

R. Lee deserves his own "Chuck Norris" thread.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:48:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Tag.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:30:21 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I recall something about the Red Ryder in "The Short Timers" or one of Gus Hasford's other books.  

FYI, FMJ was based on "The Short Timers".

This is correct. The movie is based on The Short Timers by Gus Hasford. Gus and Kubrick did not get along very well during the filming.

The gun in question is, without a doubt, a Red Ryder.

Hasford hated R. Lee Ermey, mainly because Ermey was a lifer.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:48:17 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Hasford is wrong. R.Lee Ermey served 11 years in the USMC. Although he received a disability retirement, technically he is not a lifer.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:32:39 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
[FYI, FMJ was based on "The Short Timers".

This is correct. The movie is based on The Short Timers by Gus Hasford. Gus and Kubrick did not get along very well during the filming.

The gun in question is, without a doubt, a Red Ryder.

I'll bet Hasford doesn't know whether to shit or go blind.

He wrote a book to ruin the Marine Corps and there he was, with Gunny and Kubrick making a movie, hoping the movie would become a blockbuster.

The final insult to Hasford is that EVERY SINGLE MARINE that goes through boot camp embraces the movie!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:35:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Were those Mattel M-16s?  I couldn't tell.    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top