Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2001 2:22:18 AM EDT
Here's one that I need some opinions on.....I have some LEO mags for sale and was wondering if everything is within the scope of the law.

I helping out a friend (FFL holder) sell some LEO mags. He bought a lot of Sig turn ins and each pistil came with 3, unfired, LEO mags.

In the past, when selling over the Internet, we only transferred LEO mags to other FFL holders. It then became their responsibility to verify legal transfer.

This time around I've had some inquirers from LEO who want to buy the mags. I've been told by the local S**t house lawyer that this is fine. It's the buyer's responsibility to ensure that the intent of the law is unbroken

My question... Is an email statement enough; "I'm a active LEO". Do we need further verification (letter head paper, shield #, etc.)?

Want to do what's right. Thanks in advance for the help.

Link Posted: 11/16/2001 2:48:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I am not a dealer, but an LEO.  If selling via the net or to someone not in person, I would strongly suggest that you get a copy of an ID if selling as an individual, if selling as a dealer, a copy of a letter is probably a good idea, if it is not a legal mandate, which it may be.  Unless I am mistaken it is also a felony for the seller to sell or provide those mags to non-LEOs so it is a seller problem also.  I am not aware of anyone that checks the sale of mags, but I would make sure that I sole them to LEOs just to CYA.  It is, however done all the time, both online and off........the sale of the mags to individual officers, just make sure who you are selling them to in order to cover yourself.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 5:47:59 AM EDT
[#2]
He's on the money. As an aside around here the LEO mags show up at every gunshow. People buy then up and hide them deep, I suppose. The funny thing is most of them come from LEO's that buy something and them decide to sell it. They don't have other mags, so they sell them with the gun. I've bought a few from pawn shops that did'nt realize they had them until they  went to sell them. I get them right because they want rid of them anyway.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 9:43:57 AM EDT
[#3]
When you say "LEO mag" what do you mean?  A high capacity post ban mag?  Also, there is no general method to recognize these, is there?  I've never seen a date nor seldom a serial number on mags.

What we need is some method to keep innocent citizens from inadvertently buying or selling these.  I suggest that LEO mags be painted in light and dark blue stripes as a reminder of what the unauthorized owner may face. This would also make them easy to identify. [:)]
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 10:16:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
When you say "LEO mag" what do you mean?  A high capacity post ban mag?  Also, there is no general method to recognize these, is there?  I've never seen a date nor seldom a serial number on mags.

What we need is some method to keep innocent citizens from inadvertently buying or selling these.  I suggest that LEO mags be painted in light and dark blue stripes as a reminder of what the unauthorized owner may face. This would also make them easy to identify. [:)]
View Quote

I think stamping them with "FOR MILITARY OR LAW ENFORCEMENT USE ONLY" or similar is good enough....

John[whacko]
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 11:58:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 7:35:37 PM EDT
[#6]
It would be best to get a letter from the LEO (on letterhead works better) and a copy of their ID. This should cover you. Or hell, call the dept and ask and talk to him, that may help any uneasy feeling that he is a fraud. Take care!
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 9:12:34 PM EDT
[#7]
is there a picture of these somewhere?  is it stamped on the baseplate or the mag body itself?
just wondering so i don't accidently buy some at a show sometime.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 9:25:26 PM EDT
[#8]
On Glock mags its stamped on the back side of the mag ....if its a hi-cap and a LEO mag...you would have to be blind not to notice it on them...it's that obvious.....not hidden at all!
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 9:48:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top