Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2009 4:05:27 PM EDT
I just installed Truecrypt on my laptop. Once I get the encrypted container open, can I just drag/drop the files & folders I want protected in there, or should I create entirely new documents and folders inside it?

I'm not even sure how to ask that question... I'm such a newb at this technology...
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:14:10 PM EDT
I don't use TrueCrypt, but I'd be surprised if drag/drop didn't work. TRY IT.

Personally, I use the ubersecure and proprietary ROT12 algorithm.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:17:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/27/2009 4:18:22 PM EDT by jbombelli]
I did, and it did indeed move the file icon into the container.

The reason I ask... I do know if you delete a file, really all you've deleted is the icon... the file's contents still remain on your hard drive until it's overwritten with something else. I don't want to just move the icon, I want to make sure I move the whole thing.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:18:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/27/2009 4:21:14 PM EDT by g2142]
Well if you created them in an unencrypted area you could do a copy and paste into the secure area.
Then use sdelete to securely get rid of the old copy.
Otherwise if you just move it, the data is still possibly available on the disk if one knows how to look.

For totally new documents, yes just create edit and keep them in the secure area.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:22:53 PM EDT
So you're asking a question that will depend on the platform, and on what you're doing to "delete" it. Linux, Windows, FuktOS, ... ?

For example, a common Linux command is "shred". It will overwrite your file and can then either optionally delete it or leave it there looking real but filled with gibberish.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:33:48 PM EDT
Windows Vista, and standard delete. I haven't yet downloaded sdelete, but I'm reading up on it right now, and the copy/paste/sdelete solution above seems like it would probably work.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:05:54 AM EDT

Originally Posted By vim:

Try ROT26 instead.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:12:29 PM EDT
Yea your fine just dont forget your pasword.

ask me how i know
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 10:17:55 AM EDT
Originally Posted By NimmerMehr:

Originally Posted By vim:

Try ROT26 instead.

WOW! Thanks. I've been checking it out and it seems to offer some measureable performance improvements, especially when the scope involves a full round-trip: unencrypted -> encrypted -> unencrypted or encrypted -> unencrypted -> encrypted.

Nice, very nice. You are the man.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 10:41:54 AM EDT

Originally Posted By stryder717:
Yea your fine just dont forget your pasword.

ask me how i know

I don't have to ask.
Top Top