Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2006 6:43:34 PM EDT
I recently built my own system with two WD Raptor 74gb HDs, intended to be in RAID-0. I didn't have the drivers needed to do this when I first built the system, so I just formatted them both with no apparent problems. However, when I went back to reinstall windows and format the drives in RAID-0, it would always become stuck at 5%. So I formatted one drive alone no problem, and it functions fine with the OS and everything else I have on there. But the other drive would not format. It would not format in a Windows or DOS environment.

I downloaded the WD Diagnostics Tool and the drives SMART Status is FAIL. However it passes the Quick Test. But the Extended Test fails after a while due to: "08-Too many bad sectors detected!"

Then I tried to write zeros to the drive using the Diagnostics. The Quick Erase failes to write zeros during the last million sectors and then quits. And the Full Erase seems to stall at about 3% completion after an hour and a half or so. What else can I do?!

My system specs are as follows:

AMD Athalon X2 4800+
Corsair 3500LL Pro 2gb
ASUS A8N32 SLI Deluxe Motherboard
Windows XP Pro x64 (WD Data Lifeguard dosen't seem to be compatible with this OS)

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks,

Brian
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:44:47 PM EDT
[#1]
You doing the F6 bit to load RAID drivers?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:47:22 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You doing the F6 bit to load RAID drivers?

Yeah, I copied the drivers on to a floppy disk from my motherboard support CD, and I did the F6 routine to load the drivers.  But I have since abandonned my RAID plans in favor just getting my second HD operational again.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:50:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I recently built my own system with two WD Raptor 74gb HDs, intended to be in RAID-0. I didn't have the drivers needed to do this when I first built the system, so I just formatted them both with no apparent problems. However, when I went back to reinstall windows and format the drives in RAID-0, it would always become stuck at 5%. So I formatted one drive alone no problem, and it functions fine with the OS and everything else I have on there. But the other drive would not format. It would not format in a Windows or DOS environment.

I downloaded the WD Diagnostics Tool and the drives SMART Status is FAIL. However it passes the Quick Test. But the Extended Test fails after a while due to: "08-Too many bad sectors detected!"

Then I tried to write zeros to the drive using the Diagnostics. The Quick Erase failes to write zeros during the last million sectors and then quits. And the Full Erase seems to stall at about 3% completion after an hour and a half or so. What else can I do?!

My system specs are as follows:

AMD Athalon X2 4800+
Corsair 3500LL Pro 2gb
ASUS A8N32 SLI Deluxe Motherboard
Windows XP Pro x64 (WD Data Lifeguard dosen't seem to be compatible with this OS)

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks,

Brian

sounds like its crapped out. FWIW, never run anything less then an extended test on a hard drive. I have had students reload Windows on drives that passed quick tests but when they came in the next day, the extended tests failed them everytime. A couple bad sectors here and there is fine but when you get over a half a dozen it becomes a problem that will only get worse.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:50:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
"08-Too many bad sectors detected!"

The Quick Erase failes to write zeros during the last million sectors and then quits. ?!

in my experience this means the drive is FUBAR.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:50:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Did you partition the other one?  I made that mistake on the first SATA drives I got.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:51:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Ahh shit, missed that part.... Exchange the drive.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:54:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
"08-Too many bad sectors detected!"

The Quick Erase failes to write zeros during the last million sectors and then quits. ?!

in my experience this means the drive is FUBAR.

Ok, thats kind of what I figured.  Have to send it back to Newegg I guess.

Thanks for the help guys!

Brian
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top