Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2003 6:15:20 AM EDT
Many of you have stated that you are "one issue" voters which basically means that you will not cast a vote for any candidate who publicly states that they are for the continuation of the AWB ban in its current form.

My question is hypothetical...

Knowing what you know about Bill Clinton, what if he were eligible for a third term and was against the AWB?  Would you vote for him?  

According to the "one-issue" voter logic, if there were a candidate that wanted to raise taxes, jeopardize our national security by clearing everything with the UN, reduce our military capabilities, etc. etc. etc. you would vote for him/her if they would do away with the AWB or atleast publicly state that they would.

Does anyone else see the danger in this logic?
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 6:18:24 AM EDT
[#1]
If a campaigning liberal democrat promised to let the AWB sunset I would interpret his words as empty pandering.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 6:40:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Pro-gun and pro-UN are mutually exclusive.

If the democrats became pro-gun and the republicans became anti-gun I would vote democratic.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 6:40:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 6:47:55 AM EDT
[#4]
There are several issues I feel strongly about. The republican party doesen't share my feelings on all of them. But as the saying goes, The Second Amendment makes all the others possible.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 6:52:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I am one issue in as much as I see the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, as one issue.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:05:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I would trade getting rid of all the gun laws for legalization of drugas and slightly higher taxes.

Oh and they can abort all the little democraps they want also.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:10:09 AM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

The only danger I see is the complete lack of logic in your hypothetical.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:11:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, because dinosaurs will roam the earth again before your scenario will ever happen.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:14:52 AM EDT
[#9]
In 2000, Howard Dean was given an "A" rating by the NRA.  No way in hell could I vote for him...
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:28:57 AM EDT
[#10]
[b]"Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."[/b]

Anyone believing anything, that comes from a politician's mouth, has just proved Einstein's above statement true.

Mike
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:31:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
In 2000, Howard Dean was given an "A" rating by the NRA.  No way in hell could I vote for him...
View Quote

That dingbat's position is that each state can do as it will regarding gun rights. Brilliant! Just as we do with other civil rights, like the vote, access to public accommodations, et c.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 8:17:36 AM EDT
[#12]
I only trust the ones that can be squeezed.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 8:37:45 AM EDT
[#13]
If a campaigning liberal democrat promised to let the AWB sunset I would interpret his words as empty pandering.
View Quote

All campaigning politicians([b]regardless of political affiliations[/b]) words should be regarded as empty pandering!!
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 8:58:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I am one issue in as much as I see the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, as one issue.
View Quote

Yep!!   [^]

One Amendment, does NO good, if it's not used to enforce the Whole agreement, (contract), between the People, and the govt...

Funny thing is, the 2nd, is prolly the LEAST violated, of all of them!!! [ROFL]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 9:19:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Why is it on the AWB, so many people seem to contradict themselves regarding the impact of the legislation.  

On one hand, we say that it is meaningless because it only effects the cosmentic features of the rifle.  This is evidenced by the number of post-ban rifles that perform exactly as the pre-ban rifles do.  THe only difference is the absence of bayonet lugs and collapsible stocks.

On the other hand, so many people are willing to throw an election away because of the inability to acquire new weapons with mere cosmetic features saying that it is a huge infringement on our Constitutional freedoms.  

I want to see the AWB die as much as the next person but I am not going to roll out the red carpet for Howard Dean for it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 9:34:01 AM EDT
[#16]
You're wasting your time with this sydney. This argument has occurred many times here. Logic does not apply. Many would rather see a democrap take away our rights "faster" so we can get this all over with and have a revolution and things will go back to being like the garden of eden, before politicians got involved -- just like in the movies.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 9:36:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

The NRA rating system is worthless.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 2:46:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You're wasting your time with this sydney. This argument has occurred many times here. Logic does not apply. Many would rather see a democrap take away our rights "faster" so we can get this all over with and have a revolution and things will go back to being like the garden of eden, before politicians got involved -- just like in the movies.
View Quote

You are SOOOOO enlightened, aren't you? Yeah, us knee-jerk, narrow minded, stupid hicks might ruin it for everybody. No, WE have a PRINCIPLED stand, not one of slowly pissing ourselves down the tubes. I'm not a big "revolution" guy myself, but I'll be damned if I'll cast a vote for ANYONE who has a hand in the AWB renewal.

All those politicians (Bush included) can say all they want, it's their actions that count. If a renewal never gets to his desk I'll vote for him in a heartbeat. But if one does and he signs it, well HELL NO!!!!  
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 3:34:36 PM EDT
[#19]

All those politicians (Bush included) can say all they want, it's their actions that count. If a renewal never gets to his desk I'll vote for him in a heartbeat. But if one does and he signs it, well HELL NO!!!!  
View Quote

Why would you vote for him if it never reaches his desk?  This is a president who has stated that he supports the ban.  What happens if the Democrats gain seats in the House and/or Senate and two years from now it gets to his desk?  Then he would certainly sign it.

If you are making your stand on principles, why would you vote for a man who supports the ban whether it reaches his desk or not?  Sounds pretty hypocritical to me
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top