Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/31/2001 4:59:33 PM EDT
Got my Fatboy last night.  Today I took it out after work to get some gas in it.  There is a gas station up the street and I drove it up there fine and filled up.  I put 3.6 gallons in it and used 91 Octane.  Didn't use any mix fuel just straight unleaded.  As soon as I fired her back up and started to take off it died.  Started it back up and put it in first and started to pull away and it would pop and hesitate badly.  Once I get going everything is fine but starting from a dead stop and pulling out in first it pops and jumps and tries to die on me.  It wasn't doing this before I got gas.  I have checked the petcock valve and have the gas on.  I checked the spark plug wires and all are tight.  There is only 4000 miles on this bad boy.  I also loosened the gas caps thinking I filled it too full and wasn't getting any air in the tank to let the gas flow.  Anyone have any suggestions or know of a good harley board for this sort of stuff.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 5:04:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you check the enricher knob? (or choke as it was formerly called?)
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 5:11:38 PM EDT
[#2]
How fresh are the plugs?  Evo's don't like the enrichener left on too long and it shows up in fouled plugs first.  One of the best things about Harleys is you check the easy stuff first.  You gotta pay worship to Ralph.  On your knees.  Daily.  Or she'll Ralph on the Road.

Arock Harley's since '62.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 5:12:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I think they all do that! [:D][:D][:D]

Really, if it was running good before you filled it up, you got some bad gas. Before I got too crazy I would drain the tank and try and run some different gas in it. You didn't say if it is fuel injected or not. If carburated, you might try and drain the float bowl. If you did get any water it will be settling out there as well as the bottom of the tank. If draining the tank is too much trouble, get yourself some fuel dryer. You won't have to use a lot because of the small size of the fuel tank. Definitely think you got some bad gas though. My .02 cents.GP
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 5:14:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Choke is all the way in.  I let it warm up for a while with it out and then pushed it in.  Ran fine.  Ran fine up to the gas station but as soon as I was leaving it started to act up.  It is carburated.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 5:16:06 PM EDT
[#5]
As soon as it cools I am going to pull the plugs.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 5:23:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
As soon as it cools I am going to pull the plugs.
View Quote
                                             You got bad gas dude! get it out of there and put a little iso in there with some good stuff!.....you would not believe the LARGE number of these same stories we`ve been hearin` lately....mostly since the prices went up.....
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 7:38:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Siphoned it out and got some more.  Seems to be doing better now.  The plugs were also black and I cleaned those up.  Going to pick up a new air filter tomorrow also as it needs one pretty bad.  Thanks for all the help guys.  Does anyone know of a good Harley boards for shit like this?
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 8:14:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Congrats on the new scooter!

Shouldda bought a Road Star, and you wouldn't be having these issues the very first day.  Only funnin wif ya bro. [moon]

How much did you ride it before you went to the gas station?  How far is to the gas station?  I know these sound like silly questions, but some bikes take a while to warm up if they are jetted too lean.  What kind of pipes does it have on it?  If they are straight pipes, I hope the previous owner rejetted the carb.  If not, it will have a tendency to run lean and overheat once you get out on the run.

Summertime months usually don't cause many problems with needing to warm the engine with the choke very long though.  One thing I will advise you not to do is leave it running with the choke out and go back inside to don your helmet and gear.  If you leave the choke out too long, you will foul a plug real easy.  You'll get used to the amount of choke needed depending on the time of year.  Play with it at different settings.  Doesn't have to be fully in or fully out.  Take off with it partially out, and gradually push it in as you go down the road.  Get a feel for where it is, and get used to tweaking it without running out of the road.  

Check the fuel filter.
Replace the plugs.
Pull the bowl if necessary and possibly remove the jets to make sure all the orifices are clean.  If it has been setting very long, it could very well be gunked up. Carbs are funny sometimes. Make sure the boots that connect to the air filter box and intake are tightened down. I could go on and on about potential problems, but do the basic first and hopefully that'll get ya out of the woods.

Check out this board.   [url]http://www.delphi.com/HarleyDavidson/messages/?start=Start+Reading+%3E%3E[/url]

If that doesn't do ya any good, I'm sure you can find what ya need here. [url]http://sepnet.com/cycle/harley.htm#Harley-Davidson[/url]

Be safe, enjoy, and by all means if you buy new leathers be sure to piss on em and roll em around in the dirt a few times before going to a rally.    

Cope

Oh yea, one last thing....Get accustomed to a bunch of this

[img]http://www.hawghollow.com/hawggraphics/blondie1.gif[/img]

and this

[img]http://www.hawghollow.com/hawggraphics/Xbarmad3.gif[/img]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top