Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2006 5:19:28 AM EST
A good friend of mine was involved in an accident this past Friday. He struck a deer at highway speed riding a Ultra Glide. He sustained severe head trauma and is currently in a induced coma.They have operated twice to relieve pressure but they will not know the extent of damage for a while.The only other injury he sustained was a broken collar bone. He was wearing a "dog dish" helmet and I feel that this may have contributed to his injury. I myself don't think these things offer enough protection. So what do you guys think about these helmets. Please keep him in your prayers.

Bill
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:27:12 AM EST
We call them brain buckets. Very useful for pouring your brains into when they are scooped up off the pavement.

They are a useless POS and they are only worn to give lip service to helmet laws.

I personally ride with a real helmet and it's saved my noggine in the past.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:29:01 AM EST
I wish your friend a speedy recovery.

I don't ride motorcycles, but if you are in an area where the weather is cool enough, I would definitely get one of those full-face type helments. Those DOT/Schnell Approved helments are worth their weight in gold.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:31:24 AM EST
I fully agree with GeorgiaBII, those helmets are worthless....but in certain situations, depending on speed and circumstance, a helmet might not have helped at all. A friend of mine t-boned a car which ran a stop sign, he was traveling 30 mph and was killed instantly....while wearing a helmet, jacket, and gloves.... It all comes down to circumstance, but like you i do not believe those "brain buckets" offer ANY protection at all thats worthwhile. I will keep your friend in my thoughts and i hope him a speedy recovery.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:31:25 AM EST
1/2 helmets are somewhat better then nothing IMO. Best wishes to your friend.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:34:52 AM EST
Thank you Warlord, I stopped wearing this type a while back and even though it gets freakin hot as hell down here I will be sticking with a full face.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:35:13 AM EST
Those helmets are junk. They only serve to get around helmet laws. I wear a full face all the time. Years ago I was in a wreck and split my helmet like a ripe water mellon. No damage to me. In my racing years I wore the plastic off a few helmets. For some reason Harley riders won't wear proper riding gear. I guess it ain't cool.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:36:35 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/17/2006 5:37:26 AM EST by mr_wilson]
I own no vehicle so I ride 24/7/365. Sorry to hear about your bud, (have had a few close run ins w/ deer as I generally head to the farm early mornings, but never whacked one yet, knock wood).

I wear HJC half-shell: www.helmetcity.com/page/HC/PROD/ac2/ac2black, when I wear one, (don't always wear it on the weekends, but do workdays here in Houston).

Mike
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:37:14 AM EST
Nice big heavy bike. Having ridden from 13yrs old on mini bikes till late 20's on "saki kz1000's and having been in more accidents than I can recall(1 was a coma for months) I would reccommed fullface helmets and fairings on bikes. You ever swallow a bee @ 70mph?
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:37:45 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/17/2006 5:39:10 AM EST by m-dc]
I have worn a full faced helmet, boots, gloves and a Aerostitch riding through Texas in August. Keep moving is all I can say.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:37:45 AM EST
Was this a non-DOT skull cap? They call those "novelty" helmets.

I wear a full face Arai. I am tempted to go to an open face full helmet for the 100+ days.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:39:29 AM EST
One can never know what might of been I guess. The reason I stopped wearing one was I got off my bike one day and busted my ass in some spilt oil. I was horrfied at how much it moved around in a simple little fall like this.I could not imagine how it would shift in a real impact.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:43:16 AM EST

Originally Posted By wildearp:

I wear a full face Arai. I am tempted to go to an open face full helmet for the 100+ days.

Don't know what brand he had, but it didn't even come down as far as the one in the link above. I seem to recall it having a DOT sticker but it still was not much of a helmet.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:44:27 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/17/2006 5:44:39 AM EST by warlord]
The motorcyle lobby in Calif has been weakened to allow those types of non-DOT helments.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:47:39 AM EST
It has been a very big deal around here with shops selling DOT stickers to put on these helmets.The police are starting to look at the helmets a little closer in traffic stops.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:56:09 AM EST
Only real helmets for me, but hey, it's his life.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:16:56 AM EST

Originally Posted By GeorgiaBII:
We call them brain buckets. Very useful for pouring your brains into when they are scooped up off the pavement.

They are a useless POS and they are only worn to give lip service to helmet laws.

Yep, worthless IMHO, I ride with a full face helmet.

Chances are your friend will be a vegatabe for the rest of his life if he lives.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:17:12 AM EST
It must be snell rated to be a good helment, the Dot test is easy to pass. HJC are nice and reasonable priced.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:26:20 AM EST
If its hot, i reccomend a Shoei X-11 (expensive, I know...) but well worth it, sold mine when i got rid of my bike and it was by far the most comfortable (I HAVe a shoei head) and definetly the coolest helmet from a temperature perspective that I have ever owned...
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:32:19 AM EST

Originally Posted By GeorgiaBII:

I personally ride with a real helmet and it's saved my noggine in the past.

+1, good assesment. Fashion over Function for posers who don't want to wear a skid lid.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:35:55 AM EST
Sorry to hear about your friend.

My instructor in the (1995) MSF class mentioned how the half-shell helmets are not legal for compliance with Pennsylvania's helmet law. A guy brought in one after riding to the class on his new Softtail.

Pennsylvania's helmet law is now different; you must wear a helmet unless you are over 21 and you have two+ years of riding experience. I suspect the half-shell helmets are still not PA-legal.

I always wore a full-face Shoei RF200 anyway.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:40:54 AM EST
I don't think anyone has mentioned them yet, so I'll throw in a plug for the Flip-Front helmets as a compromise solution.

In the worst of the Louisiana summer I switch from my Shoei RF-1000 FullFace to a HJC SyMax Flip-Front helmet to beat the heat. When traffic slows to a crawl (<10 MPH) I can swing the whole chinbar up and get a face full of air. It also goes on and off with the chinbar up so I never have to take off my sunglasses.

I grant, it is not as good as a true FullFace in a massive impact, but the chinbar isn't just decoration, it does provide significant protection. And if the alternative is I don't ride at all because of the heat and humidity, I'll take the small added risk of lessened chinbar protection and keep riding.

Futuristic
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:49:51 AM EST
I wear a full face with a flip up visor. Seems like in the past 15-20 years I've been hit by a lot more debris on the road. If I ride more than 10 or 15 miles on the Freeway, I'm almost guaranteed to catch a piece or gravel or bolt around the head or chest.

I don't like windshields so I guess it's partly my fault. I know that wouldn't have mattered for your friend.

Didn't the Brittish call those helmets "Puddin' Bowls"? Too much exposed face, ears, base of skull, etc.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:56:48 AM EST
Thanks for the well wishes guys. They have reported that he is responding to people so I guess they have brought him out of the coma, also say they may move him to a room soon.Gotta go to the hospital at lunch and find out more.Luckily he is at one of the top trama units in the south, LSU Medical Center in Shreveport.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 7:21:58 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/17/2006 7:22:37 AM EST by BigRoost]

+1 on the Arai. The best helmet on the market is worth every penny. I wear a MINIMUM of helmet, leather jacket & gloves when I commute, and if I'm going RIDING (meaning a day in the mountains) it's one-piece leathers and boots even if it's 100 degrees. May be hot, but so is raw flesh sticking to the sheets. Skin grafts suck, too.

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 7:24:14 AM EST

Originally Posted By bwyatt:

Don't know what brand he had, but it didn't even come down as far as the one in the link above. I seem to recall it having a DOT sticker but it still was not much of a helmet.

Yeah, but at the Hardly Ableson swap meets, you can buy DOT stickers by the bagful at the same booths that sell the toy helmets.
Top Top