Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2013 6:03:39 PM EDT
For starter, let's limit this discussion to the rebellion / Jedi

In all the movies, very....very little is ever shown regarding where people live or when (or what) people eat. People don't seem to change clothes, sleep, bathe, etc.

I know there are a few random scenes showing one thing or another, but in general, it appears that the Jedi are homeless, don't bathe, don't have more than one or two outfits, never sleep, and don't seem to eat much.

Another thing I am curious about is money.
Exactly what was the galactic medium of exchange? More specifically, exactly what did the Jedi and other rebels do to earn it?

At some point, these people must have needed stuff they didn't have and couldn't build...did they barter for everything? Did they just take what they needed?

What exactly is the story?

With the Federation, one can infer that folks wore uniforms, lived in Federation quarters, had scheduled meals, etc. I also assume that they had certain means provided for them in exchange for their work. (Yeah, they all had jobs)

Let's put this in perspective....the Federation folks worked on steady jobs, had sharp uniforms, formal housing, and a scheduled existence. The Jedi and rebels lived a life somewhere between gypsy and hippie.

What am I missing?
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:04:02 PM EDT
[#1]
FSA.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:08:08 PM EDT
[#2]
They were the galactic policemen and they lead the military as well. I'm sure their order was well funded.

Also FSA
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:09:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They were the galactic policemen and they lead the military as well. I'm sure their order was well funded.

Also FSA
View Quote

If they were so well funded, what was up with the stubble bearded dudes and dirty robes?
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:10:35 PM EDT
[#4]
The members of the rebellion were, well, rebels. One of the things that rebels tend to do is steal weapons and shit. Similarly, they also tend to have money, from both legitimate and illegitimate sources, used for all sorts of stuff.

Also, there weren't exactly a lot of Jedi around by the time the rebellion really got going, so I'm not sure why you're focusing on them. Plus, they can just mind-trick everybody... "you don't need to see my credit card".
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:10:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Rebel Scum
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:11:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If they were so well funded, what was up with the stubble bearded dudes and dirty robes?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also FSA

They were monks, who didn't take baths apparently
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:11:46 PM EDT
[#7]
The Jedi had disbanded and scattered throughout the galaxy and were hunted down by the Empire.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:14:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The Jedi had disbanded and scattered throughout the galaxy and were hunted down by the Empire.
View Quote

What this guy said.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:14:13 PM EDT
[#9]
money is an easy one. Do you even star wars bro?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Galactic_Credit_Standard
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:17:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ok Mr. Wizard...where did the Jedi / rebels get their 'credits'?
Jobs? Or some other source?
Star Wars wiki indeed
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:18:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

And they didn't eat, live in structures, change their clothes, or breathe during this time?
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:20:31 PM EDT
[#12]
*jedi mind trick* those are not your credits but mine.
see free shit.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:23:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Jedi- robe wearing religious fundamentalists who went around chopping the heads off of anyone that disagreed with their hockey religion, they also functioned as the secret police for a decrepit and dishonest galactic government consisting of a collection of dictators, kleptocrats, and monopolists.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:25:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Jedi- robe wearing religious fundamentalists who went around chopping the heads off of anyone that disagreed with their hockey religion, they also functioned as the secret police for a decrepit and dishonest galactic government consisting of a collection of dictators, kleptocrats, and monopolists.
View Quote

Pretty much space samurai..
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:26:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Galactic hippies. Fuck you george lucas Han shot first!
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:26:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Star Wars wiki indeed
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Star Wars wiki indeed

Just like any other rebels in history. Some from sources like legitimate employment, some from more... unconventional means.

I don't really see what's so hard to understand about how a rebel army supported by a rebel movement works, as there have been quite a number throughout recorded history.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:27:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

There is no 'first'. Han is the only one who shot at all.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:28:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But greedo was thinking about it! You can tell!
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:29:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But Han didn't give him the chance. Which is the whole point; he's the only one who shot at all, because he is a badass. Having Greedo shoot at all is complete bullshit.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:29:56 PM EDT
[#20]
ever watch them on tv? when they ask for money your wallet starts hovering out of your pants and out the window.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:32:28 PM EDT
[#21]
The Imperial Credit was the galactic medium of exchange, pretty much used by everyone including Rebels but the Alliance had its own credit too.

And yes, pretty much all the Jedi that survived the purge were bums, none of them had what most would consider a legitimate job. Hell Han Solo's job was more legitimate, cause he actually worked.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:35:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I LOLed at "hockey" religion!
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:36:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
*jedi mind trick* those are not your credits but mine.
see free shit.
View Quote

So, Democrats then?
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:43:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Merchandising!
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:46:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nailed it. Kumbaya and shit.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:47:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:50:02 PM EDT
[#27]
The Jedi were space opera samurai.  They worked for the government before being cast out and treated like ronin.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:58:38 PM EDT
[#28]
This might be one of the silliest Star Wars threads ever.  There is nothing that would prohibit Jedi from taking jobs, contracts, running a business etc.  The Jedi Order itself were more/less Galactic problem solvers.  Like some sort of super Interpol.

Money in Star Wars is the Credit chip.  Often encoded to cylinders (credit card)

Storm Troopers wear the same armor all the time and never seem to take a shower either, they must stink a lot..........I don't know about you, but I think Star Wars missed out on including a padawan shower scene.  

Klingons never bath either.

LOL

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:00:32 PM EDT
[#29]
I think the canonical answer is that the Jedi Order essentially acted as a pseudo-extension of the Old Republic's judicial branch, and was funded in part from the Republic itself.  Consider how the Jedis compare to the Catholic Church, which is another example of an extremely long-lived religious organization with significant secular wealth and power.  One would imagine that any organization around that long, composed of individuals of exceptional super-human talents, is liable to not only obtain currency through various means, but will continue to grow in wealth and power over the centuries from the accumulation and investment of wealth.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:24:02 PM EDT
[#30]
The jedi were like the Knights Templar
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:38:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Republic Credits

That is until the Empire took over and started printing Republic Credits so much that it took 26 million to buy deathsticks!
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:42:38 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:49:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
This might be one of the silliest Star Wars threads ever.  There is nothing that would prohibit Jedi from taking jobs, contracts, running a business etc.  The Jedi Order itself were more/less Galactic problem solvers.  Like some sort of super Interpol.

Money in Star Wars is the Credit chip.  Often encoded to cylinders (credit card)

Storm Troopers wear the same armor all the time and never seem to take a shower either, they must stink a lot..........I don't know about you, but I think Star Wars missed out on including a padawan shower scene.  

Klingons never bath either.

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4818357472005201&pid=15.1
LOL

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4877563615315706&pid=15.1
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top