Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2006 5:19:38 PM EDT
So the Twin Cities are split by the Mississippi river.  Usually with the Mississippi River radio and TV stations east of the river have the call letters beginning with "W".  On the west side it's "K."

Is this true in the twin cities? Yes I tried Google and it's confusing.  I debated posting in hometown but I decided against this.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:03:31 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
So the Twin Cities are split by the Mississippi river.  Usually with the Mississippi River radio and TV stations east of the river have the call letters beginning with "W".  On the west side it's "K."

Is this true in the twin cities? Yes I tried Google and it's confusing.  I debated posting in hometown but I decided against this.  

Actually it doesn't work that way!  WCCO Radio and TV are in downtown Minneapolis (west of the river) while KSTP TV and Public TV stations (KTCA?) are east of the river.  KMSP is the Fox station and based in a suburb west of Minneapolis.  KARE TV used to be called WTCN and was based in downtown Minneapolis (and origianlly owned jointly by the Minneapolis and St. Paul newspapers).  They are now based in a western Minneapolis suburb.  

St. Paul is entirely east of the river or north of the river.  West St. Paul, which is actually south of the river, is I think a separate city like South St. Paul (also south and west of the river and home of Sportsman's Guide).  Parts of Minneapolis, including Northeast Minneapolis, are east of the river.  Most of the University of Minnesota is east of the river but it's still in Minneapolis by a few miles.  

GunLvr
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:48:12 PM EDT
[#2]
That convention was used in the past, with exceptions for certain states.

Minnesota is unique in that it is the only state that occupies both banks of the Mississippi. North of the St. Croix the Mississippi no longer creates a border between states, as it does the rest of its length southward.   {on edit - there is a ~100 mile section in LA where the Mississippi does not form the border between LA and the state of Mississippi}

Also, I seem to recall that the K and W tradition is no longer used by the FCC.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:59:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:06:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Also, I seem to recall that the K and W tradition is no longer used by the FCC.

My Ham license starts with K even though I live in MD (or are the Ham licenses swapped--Ks in the East and Ws in the West?).

GunLvr

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top