Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2009 11:12:00 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/19/2009 2:05:51 PM EST by pv74]
OK motorheads...

I had the coolant changed in my '03 F-150 today...

I took it to JiffyLube because I'm lazy and changing coolant is a mess...

So the dude hooks up this machine to the overflow tank....

So does this suck it all out and replace it while the engine is running? Is this any good? Never seen it done this way before....

Yeah, I know..I'm full of fail for taking it to the quicky lube place

ETA:

Did they use the right kind of coolant??? It came from a bulk tank...it look green/yellow in color...I assumed it was regular old Prestone....

Is my motor going to turn into oatmeal sludge???
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:16:38 AM EST
I wanna know as well
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:18:18 AM EST
Probably has to have the engine running because half of the fluid is in your motor.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:18:59 AM EST
Sounds like a coolant system flush. It's good since it is supposed to get all the old stuff out, but I think you have to get it done a few times to get all of it out. Don't quote me on that though, I change my own fluids in my driveway the old fashioned way.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:19:40 AM EST
I generally take my Z to a local performance shop to get work done, and this is how they do it. These guys know their stuff and do SCCA work, so I would trust them.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:22:35 AM EST
If your motor is spec'd for an extended life coolant and the grease monkeys at jiffy lube just mixed it all up with noname generic green shit you could very well frag out your engine prematurely.

Coolant flushes are easy to do in the driveway of your house, and helps cut down on stray cats/dogs in the neighborhood too.

Seriously though, it's damn easy to do yourself.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:29:07 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/19/2009 11:32:31 AM EST by pv74]
Originally Posted By Chairborne:
If your motor is spec'd for an extended life coolant and the grease monkeys at jiffy lube just mixed it all up with noname generic green shit you could very well frag out your engine prematurely.

Coolant flushes are easy to do in the driveway of your house, and helps cut down on stray cats/dogs in the neighborhood too.

No...Everyone I talked to said to use regular green Prestone in it....

They did NOT use Dexcool...

Yeah, I could have done it myself..but some hippy would turn me into the feds as I usually drain the used antifreeze on the ground...
So I figured I would hire it done this time....
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:33:44 AM EST

Originally Posted By pv74:

Hopefully they used a coolant that is compatible with what you originally had in there. I was told that mixing them was very bad. I think it starts to solidify.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:39:31 AM EST
Jiffylube

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:39:52 AM EST
Yeah keep dexcool away from your f150. Mixing regular prestone with dex makes for a nice oatmeal mixture.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:39:52 AM EST
Sucking coolant from the surge tank or, even worse, the overflow tank does not do a whole lot to exchange system coolant. Most of the system coolant is circulating in the engine itself. To effectively exchange the coolant you should put a coolant flush machine in-line at the outlet side of the water pump. Then the problem is usually that the cold coolant will actually close the thermostat. So in some cases the best flush can be obtained by removing the thermostat, or flushing the engine backwards with a secondary pump. The best flush is done with power machine, but it is more time consuming that any other method. I have used a lot of different coolant flush machines in the past, I prefer the pressure flush system if it is available.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:42:35 AM EST
Originally Posted By bignred3504:
Sucking coolant from the surge tank or, even worse, the overflow tank does not do a whole lot to exchange system coolant. Most of the system coolant is circulating in the engine itself. To effectively exchange the coolant you should put a coolant flush machine in-line at the outlet side of the water pump. Then the problem is usually that the cold coolant will actually close the thermostat. So in some cases the best flush can be obtained by removing the thermostat, or flushing the engine backwards with a secondary pump. The best flush is done with power machine, but it is more time consuming that any other method. I have used a lot of different coolant flush machines in the past, I prefer the pressure flush system if it is available.

He hooked this machine up to the radiator tank and connected an air line to it....
It looked like it used about 2 gallons of coolant mixture...

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:49:34 AM EST
the machine helps get the old coolant out of your engine block. you can do the same thing with a garden hose. remove the coolant hose from the radiator that sends hot coolant from the block to the radiator so the old coolant will drain out. run your engine with the garden hose flowing into the fill hole @ the top of the radiator. monitor your temp gauge and turn off the motor if it gets above normal operating temperature. a minute or so should flush everything out of the block. put the hose back on and fill the radiator then the coolant reservoir.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:33:15 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/19/2009 1:34:37 PM EST by Chairborne]

Yeah, I could have done it myself..but some hippy would turn me into the feds as I usually drain the used antifreeze on the ground...

Every factory vehicle for quite some time has shipped with extended life silicate free coolant of some type in it. You're doing yourself a disservice if you replaced it with regular green prestone. Also, if they mix very bad sludgy things can happen.

ETA: There isn't a damn thing wrong with dexcool. The people who had issues with it were either letting the coolant level fall below the minimum, or mixing it with "green stuff".
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:51:16 PM EST

ETA: There isn't a damn thing wrong with dexcool. The people who had issues with it were either letting the coolant level fall below the minimum, or mixing it with "green stuff".

That's been my experience, as well.

I just changed the original Dexcool out of my '05 Colorado with 75,000 miles on the clock. It looked like the day they put it in at the factory.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:53:41 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/19/2009 2:03:37 PM EST by pv74]

Every factory vehicle for quite some time has shipped with extended life silicate free coolant of some type in it. You're doing yourself a disservice if you replaced it with regular green prestone. Also, if they mix very bad sludgy things can happen.

Ford's don't use Dexcool....

Owner's manual reccomended the regular green stuff IIRC...

Someone work at a Ford Dealership???

edit

Well shit...

Owner's manual recommends "Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant (Yellow-Colored)"

Fuck..and it takes nearly 6 gallons of coolant...so NO...it wasn't all replaced....

Shit..I'm going to get a flushing T kit and just do it myself.

So what type of coolant do I use in a modern Ford...I haven't changed antifreeze on a vehicle in over 10 years....(only did it when the green stuff was the standard coolant)
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:04:49 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/19/2009 2:07:07 PM EST by Chairborne]

edit

Well shit...

Owner's manual recommends "Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant (Yellow-Colored)"

Fuck..and it takes nearly 6 gallons of coolant...so NO...it wasn't all replaced....

So what type of coolant do I use in a modern Ford...I haven't changed antifreeze on a vehicle in over 10 years....(only did it when the green stuff was the standard coolant)

http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/dealer/quickref/scuc.pdf

This place has the gold stuff listed under a/c and engine coolant.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:09:05 PM EST

edit

Well shit...

http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/dealer/quickref/scuc.pdf

This place has the gold stuff listed under a/c and engine coolant.

Shit...this has turned into rocket science...

"don't use it with this crap, this crap or that crap"...

Used to be...add more green crap and an equal part of water....
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:14:20 PM EST
Most of the "green stuff" is extended use also anymore. Really, the ONLY thing "extended" is the cathodic properties and if the chemical wasn't used up protecting against galvanic reaction, it would never wear out. You'd be better off replacing it on a 3 year rotation schedule then worrying about if it's "extended" use.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:17:16 PM EST
Originally Posted By fxntime:
Most of the "green stuff" is extended use also anymore. Really, the ONLY thing "extended" is the cathodic properties and if the chemical wasn't used up protecting against galvanic reaction, it would never wear out. You'd be better off replacing it on a 3 year rotation schedule then worrying about if it's "extended" use.

Just looked at the coolant tank...the Coolant is yellow in color and not dark green....

So I guess as long as they did not use any Dexcool (which I was assured they did not..I asked) I guess I am OK then???

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:17:32 PM EST
I dont have any problem using a modern anti freeze in anything I own. I figure it is like transmission fluid used to be and what it has become.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:29:24 PM EST
Originally Posted By fxntime:

Just looked at the coolant tank...the Coolant is yellow in color and not dark green....

So I guess as long as they did not use any Dexcool (which I was assured they did not..I asked) I guess I am OK then???

Same stuff, different color. Last time I did all my vehicles was last weekend in fact, 5 years/150,000 miles. They really don't care about the milage, what they care about is the time frame because cathodic damage happens whether it's running or sitting. [Aluminum, magnesium sacrifices itself to protect any steel and is eaten up/honeycombed]

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:37:53 PM EST
Damn, it is only the vehicle no way to dibs guns and ammo...

On the serious side, you have to match up the replacement coolant with the correct replacement coolant. As stated previously bad things happen when you dont do this. Pop the radiator cap and see what color that is. If bad/wrong you can flush on your own with out a machine it is just messy and time consuming.

Drain radiator, then just use a water hose and flush out as much as possible from the radiator. Then seal back up (dont put cap back on so you wont build pressure) and fill with water. Get vehicle to operating temp (remember radiator cap is off so no pressure). Turn off engine, disconnect hose opposite of t-stat and stick garden hose in and go to town. You will have it close and spit back at you when the t-stat closes but you get most of the coolant the first time and if you repeat you can get the rest. Drain water from engine completely and refill with correct fluid.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:50:06 PM EST

Well said

Top Top