Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2008 12:15:10 PM EDT
I'm looking at picking up a 2001 ford expedtion xlt 2wd, leather seats, power everything, 140k miles, and has the 4.6l engine.  How good are these engines?  any common problems with them?  I can pick this up for $2900...good deal or walk?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:17:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Ford's 4.6 is a pretty good engine. Crown Victoria's (police and civvie) use the 4.6, some ford vans use the 4.6, and the mustangs also used the 4.6, among others that use it. Engine wise, I would say the 4.6 is proven.

It's the transmission you have to worry about. If it's never been flushed or had regular service, don't flush it, or you could fudge it. Ford has a habit of using weak transmissions, while im sure others here would be quick to disagree with me.

The mileage is kinda high, but as long as it's been taken care of, you should get good use out of it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:25:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Ford's 4.6 is a pretty good engine. Crown Victoria's (police and civvie) use the 4.6, some ford vans use the 4.6, and the mustangs also used the 4.6, among others that use it. Engine wise, I would say the 4.6 is proven.

It's the transmission you have to worry about. If it's never been flushed or had regular service, don't flush it, or you could fudge it. Ford has a habit of using weak transmissions, while im sure others here would be quick to disagree with me.

The mileage is kinda high, but as long as it's been taken care of, you should get good use out of it.

+1 on both points.  I have a 1997 Expedition with the 4.6L, owned it about 5 years.  Has a bit less than 105K on it now. I had to replace one of the exhaust manifolds because a hole rusted in it.  Otherwise the engine has been trouble free.

I aksed the local Ford dealer about flushing the tranny and he gave me the same advice that Bedore posted.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:28:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I owned a 2001 Expedition 4.6L.  Not a bad vehicle.

The one BIG nagging problem was the coil packs.

Instead of a traditional distributor, the 4.6L has individual coil packs that sit on each cylinder.

I had SEVEN of them go out while I owned it.  $300 a pop to replace.

- AG
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:31:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know if it uses the same 8.8" independent rear axle as my 4.6 Explorer, but if it does I'd be cautious of differential noise.  I'm on my third one in 140K and a friend of mine has had differential problems on his Expedition as well (though, as I said, I don't know if they are the same diff).
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:36:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I don't know if it uses the same 8.8" independent rear axle as my 4.6 Explorer, but if it does I'd be cautious of differential noise.  I'm on my third one in 140K and a friend of mine has had differential problems on his Expedition as well (though, as I said, I don't know if they are the same diff).

2001 should still be the solid rear axle.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:12:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I don't know for sure, but my understanding is that the Explorer is based off of a Ranger, and Expedition is off of an F-150, and I'm pretty sure they do not use same wheel base or frame parts (wider/bigger/heavier truck).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top