Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/13/2005 5:07:28 PM EDT
I was searching for a news clip about the 'southern decadence' gay event that New Orleans has around labor day every year now.

I found this website:

www.repentamerica.com/pr_hurricanekatrina.html

Off to the side, there was a link titled 'Letter from an Atheist'.

It may be one of the most powerful wake-up calls I've ever seen. It asks some hard questions.

It is worth reading, so I'll quote it here:

www.repentamerica.com/letterfromateist.html

"You are really convinced that you've got all the answers. You've really got yourself tricked into believing that you're 100% right. Well, let me tell you just one thing. Do you consider yourself to be compassionate of other humans? If you're right, as you say you are, and you believe that, then how can you sleep at night? When you speak with me, you are speaking with someone who you believe is walking directly into eternal damnation, into an endless onslaught of horrendous pain which your 'loving' god created, yet you stand by and do nothing.

If you believed one bit that thousands every day were falling into an eternal and unchangeable fate, you should be running the streets mad with rage at their blindness. That's equivalent to standing on a street corner and watching every person that passes you walk blindly directly into the path of a bus and die, yet you stand idly by and do nothing. You're just twiddling your thumbs, happy in the knowledge that one day that 'walk' signal will shine your way across the road.

Think about it. Imagine the horrors Hell must have in store if the Bible is true. You're just going to allow that to happen and not care about saving anyone but yourself? If you're right then you're an uncaring, unemotional and purely selfish (expletive) that has no right to talk about subjects such as love and caring."

This is an excerpt from an e-mail sent to Evangelist Ray Comfort of Living Waters.

This atheist understands something that many of us overlook. I'm guilty of it myself.

So the question is: what do we do about it?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:06:19 PM EDT
The skeptic that i am find it hard to believe an athiest wrote that.

We are supposed to let our light shine and tell others the good news about Jesus,but we cant force people to do anything.

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:49:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By walttx:
The skeptic that i am find it hard to believe an athiest wrote that.

We are supposed to let our light shine and tell others the good news about Jesus,but we cant force people to do anything.

I've read a few of Ray Comfort's books, and the letter does play right into his philosophy on evangelism.

Having said that, I don't believe it is a fake - it actually raises some good points.

If we claim to be compassionate, but turn a blind eye to the fate those around us are headed for, we are, indeed, cold-hearted.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:08:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2005 8:10:02 PM EDT by WildBoar]
I dont think its a blind eye that does the most damage, but a person who preaches out of a prideful heart that drives away the lost.

Thats why we need to lovingly correct those and warn those we believe in error. Sometimes we should ask ourselves, "how many people did I drive away from Christ be my actions and words?" Many feel yelling at and screaming at unbelievers will convert them but thats just comming from a prideful heart.

I personally think the letter is fake but that does not matter much.

I have worked with so may liberal God haters I cannot count. They all knew my beleifs and some would forget and let slip their hatred for Christians. There was a gay guy who worked next to me and we got along well. Untill another lib asked me what I thought about his homosexuality.

I tried to explain that because I beleive the way I did, it would be evil for me to encourage him and say its ok. I always showed concern for himand others because I really did care about their souls. But the liberals all formed a pack and battled against me saying it was hateful to not encourage his behavior.

Talking to them was hard because they get loud and interrupt too much. When it was over he and a few of the folks there finally understood my position and saw that it was in fact from a spirtit of concern and not hate. We have many roadblocks set up by those false professors who preach out of pride and hate instead of real concern. Many people have been calloused by their prideful preaching and I am sure many non believers will attest to the damage some of the prideful false professors have done.

Oh my brothers and sisters in Christ,
if sinners will be dammed,
at least let them leap to hell over
our bodies and if they will perish,
let them perish with our arms about their knees,
imploring them to stay,
and not madly destroy themselves.
If hell must be filed,
at least let it be filled in the teeth
of our exertions, and let not one go there
unwarned and unprayed for.

CH Spurgeon
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:45:45 PM EDT

"You are really convinced that you've got all the answers. You've really got yourself tricked into believing that you're 100% right. Well, let me tell you just one thing. Do you consider yourself to be compassionate of other humans? If you're right, as you say you are, and you believe that, then how can you sleep at night? When you speak with me, you are speaking with someone who you believe is walking directly into eternal damnation, into an endless onslaught of horrendous pain which your 'loving' god created, yet you stand by and do nothing.

If you believed one bit that thousands every day were falling into an eternal and unchangeable fate, you should be running the streets mad with rage at their blindness. That's equivalent to standing on a street corner and watching every person that passes you walk blindly directly into the path of a bus and die, yet you stand idly by and do nothing. You're just twiddling your thumbs, happy in the knowledge that one day that 'walk' signal will shine your way across the road.

Think about it. Imagine the horrors Hell must have in store if the Bible is true. You're just going to allow that to happen and not care about saving anyone but yourself? If you're right then you're an uncaring, unemotional and purely selfish (expletive) that has no right to talk about subjects such as love and caring."

Or we could trust that a loving God with allow the universe to unfold as He has planned.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:42:03 PM EDT
Well it looks like either God or nature has put an end to 'southern decadence' in New Orleans for awhile
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:05:56 PM EDT
As one of arfcom's most notorious unrepentant sinners, I think the question as far as homosexuality goes should be what do you what to do? Help save people from sin or just condemn them? From my personnel experience on this board both come into play. What is interesting to me though is the more hard core the Christian the less personnel attacks in post.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:50:14 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:11:23 AM EDT
It's ironic that somebody criticizes Christians for not combing the streets and beating the bushes spreading the Gospel, when in reality he would reject the message anyway.

In my experience (one-on-one), I've had better results letting the Holy Spirit bring me people who were ready to receive the message than going out beating on doors.

It works better when I do it His way.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:50:40 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Brohawk:
It's ironic that somebody criticizes Christians for not combing the streets and beating the bushes spreading the Gospel, when in reality he would reject the message anyway.

In my experience (one-on-one), I've had better results letting the Holy Spirit bring me people who were ready to receive the message than going out beating on doors.

It works better when I do it His way.

Your approach has the added benefit that you don't wind up pissing off people who don't like to be proselytized. I agree with another poster that the letter sounds more like what a preacher would write to reinforce his own views, not something an atheist would write.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:03:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/14/2005 6:06:40 AM EDT by BenDover]
Nobody wants to be told they are going to suffer an eternal judgement for their behavior. People want to do whatever pleases them in the here and now.

There's a lot of vitriol spewed against Christians by non-Christians. I find it hard to accept that someone is criticizing a Christian for not getting into people's faces over unrepented sins, etc...

I believe that when we witness, we should follow God's will and let Him guide our words and mannerisms through the Holy Spirit. Surrendering to the Holy Spirit, we may find in one situation, we are as forceful as a sumo wrestler about our faith, and in another situation, the spirit may lead us to be as quiet as a hummingbird. It comes down to being willing to actually speak and act. The one thing that God cannot use, is our inaction.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:07:36 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:38:19 AM EDT
Questions like this IMHO exemplify why a doctrine in which salvation is 100% by God's election & grace (and not at all by man's actions) can be very comforting...
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:36:06 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Brohawk:

That was my first thought as well.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:10:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By HardShell:
Questions like this IMHO exemplify why a doctrine in which salvation is 100% by God's election & grace (and not at all by man's actions) can be very comforting...

Amen. Its humbling for sure.
Top Top