Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/22/2006 7:57:22 PM EDT
To the ARFcom handyman hive mind -

We are trying to sell our house and one area of particular concern for me is our kitchen floor. The area right in front of the sink has developed a 'creak/squeak' from where the floor has gotten wet. The floor is a plywood subfloor (upstairs over a basement) with linoleum laid over the top. It is a major traffic area and one that will get a lot of (negative) attention from prospective buyers.

Is there anything that can be done to eliminate the squeak without having to pull up and replace the linoleum or other major overhaul? I'm looking for a simple fix if there is one.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:59:24 PM EDT
[#1]
can you access the joists / subfloor from the basement?

IIRC there are some straps you can buy that will pull the joist and subfloor together, which should eliminate the source of the squeeks.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:00:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
can you access the joists / subfloor from the basement?

IIRC there are some straps you can buy that will pull the joist and subfloor together, which should eliminate the source of the squeeks.

no, there is no access from below

(so true in other aspects of my like as well)
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:01:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Here then, this may give you some help...it's going to be harder since you can't access the joists and can't rip up the linoleum.

http://www.skil.com/Projects/ProjectPlans/FinishingAndDecorating/SilencingFloorSqueaks.htm
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:03:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got one place in the house where my floors squeak, and of course it's right where a bunch of heating ducts prevent me from accessing the joists and subfloor.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:12:55 PM EDT
[#5]
It squeaks where the nails have pulled loose.

You can drill a tiny hole through the linoleum and subfloor. Pick out a spot in the pattern where it won't be noticed. Squirt wood glue or something similar through the hole with a needle-like syringe, available at home improvement stores.  You need to be between the subfloor and a stud.  Fill it up and don't apply any pressure for hours.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:14:31 PM EDT
[#6]
there are special break off nails that you can install thgough carpeting for fixing creaking floors....they break off like 1/16" below the surface of the wood so they will not poke your feet, etc...i'll bet they make some for penetrating linoleum without leaving a big hole...then fill it over with resin or something...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top