Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/26/2003 7:49:09 AM EDT
Here's the deal.  My wife's about to give birth to our 1st child.  This will be the 1st grandchild on BOTH sides - can we say "spoiled"?  Anyway, I grew up calling my grandparents "mamaw" and "papaw".  My wife called her mom's mom, "grandmother" - which to me sounds too formal - but that's okay.

However, my mom and her mom have come up with "cute little names" to be called.  One wants to be called "KayKay" (her name is Kay) and the other one "Neener"!!! [puke]

Thank goodness, my dad doesn't care - whatever she calls him, he'll be happy with.  Her dad is rarely serious - he says he wants to be called Mr. ____(insert his last name).

So what do your kids call their grandparents?  I'm not asking what you call yours because this seems to be a newer trend - maybe I'm wrong.  And whose decision is it really (parent's, grandparent's, or the child's)?  Advice from you more experienced parents would be appreciated.  And no, I'm not making a huge issue of it with the future GPs - it just annoys my traditional self.

CR

edited to add:  Opinions of those of you that are younger grandparents (40's and 50's) would be helpful, too.  And our mom's are in their early 50's - I'm thinking they feel "mamaw" or "grandma" sounds old.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 7:56:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Mine isnt's old enough yet, but he'll call me "Hero" and his mom "bitc... I mean "mom".LOL!  J/K, He'll call me "Dad" my wife "mom" his grandma well, "grandma" and "grandpa", "great grandma" "great grandpa" etc.  That's how it was in my family, nothing formal.  To me the kids are who get the nicknames.  I was "TT" for my first and middle initial for 99% of my family.  My mom's dad called me scooter, and my dad called me mongoman, after Mongo on Heathcliff because I loved to eat.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 7:58:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 7:59:55 AM EDT
[#3]
"MAH-mee" (given phonetically because, being in Spanish, so it loses a bit if spelled in English).
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:01:19 AM EDT
[#4]
My son calls my mom GranTeke.  Her name is Theresa but everyone calls here Teke.  He calls my dad Grandpa Bud.  I always called my grandmother "granny".

Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:01:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:06:40 AM EDT
[#6]
My kids refer to the Grandparents as Grandma or Grandpa.  If they need to refer to which side of the family (My parents or my wifes parents) they just insert the appropriate last name.  My wife referred to her mother's mom as Grandmother, and her father's mom as Granny.

My brothers kid's have different "nicknames" for their grandparents.  I'm not sure if my Mom likes the nickname for her.

Bottom line, pick a title/nickname you are comfortable with, and ASK the Grandparent if that is acceptable with them.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:08:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I was 11 before I learned my grandparent's names were NOT 'mamaw' and 'papaw'.
[:D]
View Quote

me, too
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:09:34 AM EDT
[#8]
easy

they started off all the same.
gra-maw and grand-paw for both set's of grand parents and it led to a little confusion so dad's parents were hyphenated.  

gra-maw - at the farm
grand-paw - at the farm

i have some cousins that don't play by the rules so here are the names.  
[finger nails on chalk board]
pee-paw
mee-maw
pa-paw
ma-maw
nee-nee
dee-dee
[/finger nails on chalk board]

it's like half our family is Polynesian or something.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:13:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Well, my mother's parent's were Nana and Papa, and my dad's were Grandma and Grumps.  I have no idea why we all called him Grumps.  Both of my grandfather's died when I was in my early teens.  Being military, we moved around much, and I barely knew them.  

My nephew calls my parents Nana and Grandpa.  He hasn't really figured out what to call me, tho!  He's only 2.5 years.

Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:19:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
gra-maw - at the farm
grand-paw - at the farm

i have some cousins that don't play by the rules so here are the names.  
[finger nails on chalk board]
pee-paw
mee-maw
pa-paw
ma-maw
nee-nee
dee-dee
[/finger nails on chalk board]

it's like half our family is Polynesian or something.
View Quote

Finger nails on chalk board is a good way to put it.  My cousins call my mom "KayKay" - that's why she wants to use it - but I think that's a little too close to addressing her by her real name.  "Neener" just sounds like a funny-looking hat or a small car IMO.
Some of our great-grandparents got strange names - I had a "mamaw in the bed" (she was very ill when I was born and up until she died) and the wife had a "little bitty grandmother" - she was short.
Others in the family have used:  PaPa, MiMi, Nanna, and MaeMae.

(Granny is cool too - but her mom would faint)

Oh and they didn't give me a chance to ask - as soon as they found out the wife was pregnant, they started picking out their names.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:23:38 AM EDT
[#11]
You people are weird.

Cutsy names for Grandparents??  What next??

This is eggs sackly the reason why women should never leave the kitchen.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:28:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You people are weird.

Cutsy names for Grandparents??  What next??

SGtar15
View Quote

What's the norm around Sgtar15's house?  I myself prefer the traditional names, but the future grandmothers have different ideas.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:58:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a "mamaw in the bed"
View Quote

that statement brought back a lot of old memories of great grand parents and other family members (who scared the hell out of me as a little kid).  all i remember was the room smelled like bleach, everything was white, lot's of plastic tubes my mom made me be quiet and I was scared.  

probably explains why i hate doctors.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 9:08:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Well, I don't have kids, but us kids always called our grandmothers "Gramma-with-the-brown-hair" and "Gramma-with-the-white-hair"[:D] No shit.

The grandfathers were "Grampy(or Grumpy) Walt" and "Mommy'sdaddy". I ended up working for "Mommy'sdaddy" so I called him "Boss" after that-a lot less embarassing in public, y'know.

J.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 9:10:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What's the norm around Sgtar15's house?  I myself prefer the traditional names, but the future grandmothers have different ideas.
View Quote

Mom & dad

Grandma & Grandpa.

Those above them get called Great grandma & great grandpa.

Everyone else we call by their given names.  No Billy-Ryas

no sugar plums

no honey bears

no neeniers

no loveykins

Just normal names.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 9:47:18 AM EDT
[#16]
My children call my parents "Oma" and "Opa" Dutch for grandma and grandpa. (My mom came to N. America from the Netherlands post WW2.)

My wifes parents are grandma and grandpa.

I hate cutsie names!!!

Kent
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 9:52:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My children call my parents "Oma" and "Opa" Dutch for grandma and grandpa. (My mom came to N. America from the Netherlands post WW2.)

My wifes parents are grandma and grandpa.

I hate cutsie names!!!

Kent
View Quote

Every bit the same at the 95thFoot household- exc. my wife's parents are German; Oma and Opa (God rest his soul)- same words in German, too.

Agreed about cutesy names for grownups, too.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 9:56:46 AM EDT
[#18]
My mom is granny and my wifes mom is grandma.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 10:01:15 AM EDT
[#19]
That the problem with western society. In Chinese society, there is a specific title for each individaul grandparent on the father's sde and the mother's side. From their titles, one could deduce the relationship.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 10:07:02 AM EDT
[#20]
My parents are Oma and Opa..( Dutch)

My inlaws are Grandma and Grandpa

My newphew calls my mother in law Gamma.....drive me crazy!
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 10:09:54 AM EDT
[#21]
My kids call my Dad  - 'Cuppie' and my Mom 'Regular Grandma'  (too bad for her)

They call my wife's Mom - 'Zeppy'

They call my wife's Dad and his wife - 'French-horn Grandpa' and 'French-horn Grandma' seeing as how he used to play French-horn in the symphony.

Who the heck knows how these things happen?  Kids make up the weirdest stuff.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 10:11:19 AM EDT
[#22]
I've been corrected by the wife:  "Neener" was what her mom's friend goes by - her mom wants to be...  ...I don't know how to spell it exactly, but sounds like "non-ee" - still-->[puke]

CR
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 10:20:36 AM EDT
[#23]
My parents are Gran and Papa.  My wife's are Grandma and Grandpa.

My wife called hers Grandma and GrandmaDaddy.

Mine were Gran and Grandad, and Grandmother and Grandad.

Edited to add:  You could always go with the popular, "my old man's old lady."
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 10:31:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I've been corrected by the wife:  "Neener" was what her mom's friend goes by - her mom wants to be...  ...I don't know how to spell it exactly, but sounds like "non-ee" - still-->[puke]

CR
View Quote

"No-knee"? She hobble around a bit?
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 10:32:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Grandma and Grandpa...

Although when we were kids, I called my Mom's Mom (my Grandma) BaBa.  It is a Polish reference for the word Grandma, or something of that sort.

Funny thing was everyone called her Baba.  Her doctors, neighbors,...  everyone.  She liked the name.  God, I miss her...
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 11:07:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Here's the roster:

To my kids,
I am Daddy
My wife is Momma
Wife's mother is Granny
Wife's father is PopPop
My mother is Grandma
My step-father is Grandpa
My father is Grand-dad or Grandfather or "El Jefe"

To my grand-kids, I want to be PopPop, but will probably wind up being "The Crochety Old Bastard" or "Hey, You".
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 11:18:17 AM EDT
[#27]
My kids call both mine and my wifes parents "Grandma" and "Grandpa".

I wouldn't have it any other way.

Av.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top