Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2001 7:21:33 AM EDT
I have had a Mauser for some time now, that I am shooting cheap corrosive ammo through.  When I bought the gun, the dealer said the best way to clean it was to use dish soap (like Dawn) and water to get all the corrosive agents out. Dry it out, and then clean it as normal with a good lead/copper bore scrub.

Anybody have any comments on this, or better suggestions?
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 7:25:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I read about this last week on one of the C&R BBs.

They said corrosive ammo is misleading when there are indeed salts that will harm your barrel bought it is not like pouring acid in your gun.  As long as you clean it the same day you are fine.  They also said going to the extremes of using boiling water are not needed.

They said you do need to wash it down first and then clean as normal.

Link Posted: 6/15/2001 7:26:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Dealer is correct; use hot water with the soap. Simple Green & windex also work.  I try to reclean mine about 2 days or so later.

hanko
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top