Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/10/2002 9:00:13 AM EDT
If you were traveling at a high rate of speed in a general westerly direction, at the right altitude, is it possible to maintain a path in which it appeared that the sun would never set? This is assuming the aircraft can travel at an extremely high rate of speed, such as an SR-71. If not possible with traditional aircraft, how about the space shuttle?

If this is actually the case, one could seemingly avoid the wrath of vampires forever, given you had an unending supply of fuel and did not have to land for any reason.

Yes, I am bored at work. This question has been bugging me for a while now.  [>:/]
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 9:04:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes it would be possible, and you would not need an SR-71.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 9:05:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Take the circumference of the globe and divide by the number of hours in a day and that would give you a velocity and if you matched that with an airplane the sun would appear stationary.

Ben
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 9:06:39 AM EDT
[#3]
concievably you can have breakfast in New York; fly to Los Angeles (in a Blackbird), have another breakfast (time wise) before you left New York.
so i would say that an SR-71 would be overkill for your mission [:P]
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 9:08:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to build a cross shaped pool and fill it full of Holy water and stay in it all night?

[:)]
View Quote

I think the I remember reading that somewhere...The numbers were "close" to an elevation of 20,000' at approx 800 mph...
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 9:11:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to build a cross shaped pool and fill it full of Holy water and stay in it all night?
View Quote

Hmmmm...I never thought of that. I'll get my shovel and start tonight.

Vampires be damned!
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 9:17:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Get a slower plane and go around the earth at the poles, switching nort and south as the seasons change.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 9:19:34 AM EDT
[#7]
If I am correct you would need to travel west at approximately 1,040 mph to achieve this (at the equator).  Actually, the altitude doesn't figure in very much.  Travelling at 20,000 feet versus sea level only adds about 12 miles to the diameter of the path around the earth.  I think the change in speed quoted comes in when comparing relative air speed to ground speed.  I could be wrong, though.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 9:45:11 AM EDT
[#8]
I believe the circumference of the earth is roughly 24,000 miles. With 24 hours in a day, you get about 1,000 mph. However, since you couldn't fly at sea level all the way around, you would need to increase altitude, increasing the circumference. But 1,000 mph should be pretty close.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 1:38:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Lose the plane.  

Every year just camp out at the North Pole for 6 months and then move to the South Pole for the next 6 months.  
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 7:35:45 PM EDT
[#10]
The Concords takes off just after sunset in Paris.  As it heads east, the sun comes back up and stays up the rest of the trip.  You get into New York and get to see another sunset on the same day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top