Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/8/2001 5:06:28 AM EDT
I'm thinking about getting the ZM Weapon kit (http://www.zmweapons.com/) where you supply your own lower.

$1500 is a lot of dough and I want to get your opinion before I buy. My question is this...

I assuming you have at least one other "normal" AR15 to choose from if something goes wrong and you need a weapon.... would you grab your ZM or the normal AR15?   Let me ask the question another way...do you like the ZM because it looks cool, or because you trust it with your life?

Looking at the thing gives me hot flashes. I want one, but I don't want to get something to "show off". I want something I can trust. Since this weapon uses a totally new gas system, I need to know how people feel about their purchase. Any opinions?
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 5:21:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't have one, but I'd definitely trust my ass to one.  I have never liked the gas system on the AR15/M16, but I've learned to tolerate it. The ZM solves it.  Of course, the price of the ZM is an issue; $1500 for just an upper is expensive. For that kind on money, you could buy two complete post ban Bushmasters, or almost three complete Bushmaster uppers.  In my mind, it just doesn't add up.  Even with the benefits of the ZM, I'd rather have two complete guns than one single upper assembly.
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 5:30:06 AM EDT
[#2]
$1500--

I like the looks of them, but that is kind of expensive (plus a lower worth a minimum of $700 if it is a pre-ban).

For $1500, I'd rather have a pre-ban AK--Yugo, Hungarian, or Legend.

For less than the cost of the lower and the ZM kit, I'd rather get one of these:

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1157297&a=11109695&p=52026286&Sequence=0&res=high[/img]

If I had a RR M-16, then the ZM kit would be an interesting accessory, but just to trick up a pre-ban--it seems to be some overkill.  Even at that--the FNC is $2000 and the sear with burst is $2000, for $4000, still a better deal in my mind than taking an M-16 receiver (minimum $4000) and adding a $1500 accessory.

AFARR
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 9:41:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I own a Z... awesum weapon.

Not only does it look great, but it is the prefer weapon of choice over my AR.  Shoots great, accurate, reliable, very little muzzle movement.  Definately the choice to show off, both looks and shooting.

I've also shot one in full auto. VERY controlable.   I know the owner, I shoot with him in IPSC.  The gun was designed as a weapon, not as a range gun.

Expensive yes, but way high on the cool factor to boot-- definately the one to bet  your life on.
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 11:50:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 3:08:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I've never shot mine, but if push came to shove, I'd fire it with blind faith and total confidence. It's amazingly well made, and I am literally itching to try it, I wanna go to the range sooo badly. I've got money saved for an AimPoint CompM2 now, so it's almost complete, I just need a flashlight system for it.

Speaking of the AimPoint, do I need to order a seperate rail adapter, or is that the default?

Anyways, I don't have a normal AR anymore, the ZM is my only rifle at this point, I wanted something fast, reliable and accurate and the ZM has gotten nothing but rave reviews.
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 5:12:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Lincoln`s Wax:
I've got money saved for an AimPoint CompM2 now, so it's almost complete, I just need a flashlight system for it.

Speaking of the AimPoint, do I need to order a seperate rail adapter, or is that the default?
View Quote

Lincoln,

Your going to need to get the railgrabber and spacer.  The mount that comes with it will not work on your LR-300...it will sit way too low.  The railgrabber and spacer will position the red dot perfectly above the front sight post.  Of course there are other manufacturers that make good mounts as well...such as GG&G, but I recommend the railgrabber...easy on and off and holds zero when remounted.

Here is an old pic...I have since had my lower reanodized and coated in black teflon by DPMS...I Highly recommend them...they do outstanding work...my preban lower came back looking brand new...and I had the piece of mind that it was Hard Coat Anodized...not just painted.

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/p460ee6bd6639725452bbf4a2d8bd55c7/fe5c63a9.jpg.orig.jpg[/img]

DUFFY!!

How the hell are you bud?  Finally got moved in.  I have to get some new pics I did some work on the LR and she is really Primo right now.  Also built a post ban that is pretty unique.
    So you finally shot her eh???  I saw the pics of the CA shoot...looks like a great time...wished I lived closer!

Bear_Hunter
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 6:56:38 AM EDT
[#7]
brings a tear to my eye.... so beautiful [>Q]
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 4:27:18 PM EDT
[#8]
...Thanks Scarecrow

PeterAR,

To answer your question, I would completely rely on my LR without hesitation.  I have had no malfunctions of any kind and it shoots as good as it looks.  I have shot it at tempreture ranges from 40 below zero (ambient tempreture) to 100 degrees F.  The price may not be for everyone, but I have had no reservations on my purchase.  I have not scoped the rifle yet, but with my aimpoint I can have a 5 shot group (all touching) at 50yds off a Harris bipod.  It is more accurate than our issued M-4's.
    Allan Zita has a great video where he shoots 5 rounds out of an 11 1/2inch LR-300 with scope at 100m and achieves sub-MOA with standard green tips.

Allan is a great guy...give him a call.  I have heard that he is pretty busy...probably from the publicity from the "GUNS" magazine article.  I think its worth the wait.

Bear_Hunter
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 10:30:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I only had to wait about 6 weeks for mine.

Bear: is the spacer for all sight types? I told Allan that I wanted to put an AimPoint on it, and he said he'd put on the older style tritium sights with the larger rear loop as they went really well with the aimpoint, will I still need a spacer?

Here's a pic:
[img]http://www.jacksonville.net/~dan1972/myzmaim.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 12:49:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Lincoln`s Wax:
Bear: is the spacer for all sight types? I told Allan that I wanted to put an AimPoint on it, and he said he'd put on the older style tritium sights with the larger rear loop as they went really well with the aimpoint, will I still need a spacer?
View Quote

PART I

Lincoln,

The spacer in conjuction with the railgrabber was designed to put the dot just above the front sight post.  The size of the rear aperature should not make any difference unless the "Old Style" rear sight sits lower than a standard A2 Rear.

Here are some facts about the Aimpoint:

1.  The Aimpoint is its own aiming device it is not used in conjuction with your iron sights.

This means that you do not have to line up your dot with your front and rear iron sights to shoot...you look over your iron sights and just use the red dot.  This allows for quick and accurate target aquisition.

FOR FLATOP AR's

The purpose of the spacer is to allow you to fall back to iron sights in the event of a battery failure (I have not had one yet).  The spacer positions the Aimpoint aperature in the correct position...where you will have the best field of view of your iron sights (centered in the Aimpoint window)...I hope this makes sense...you also will not use up a lot of elevation to zero the Aimpoint either.

If you do not use the spacer the Aimpoint will sit too low and you will be looking through the top of the Aimpoint window when shooting through iron sights (in the event of a battery failure).  
    When using the Aimpoint WITHOUT the spacer the front and rear iron sights will obstruct most of your field of vision and will defeat the purpose of your aimpoint (quick target aquisition)

2.  Zero methods for new rifle.

a.  Bring your iron sights to mechanical zero.

b.  While looking through your aimpoint adjust your windage and elevation (on the Aimpoint) where the red dot sits on your front sight post while you are looking through your iron sights.

c.  While using the aimpoint only (not iron sights)...shoot 3 rounds.

d.  Make necessary adjustments (to your aimpoint)...and shoot 3 more rounds.  Continue until your Aimpoint is zeroed.

e.  Now look through your iron sights and see where your red dot is in relation to them.  Adjust your iron sights (bring your iron sights to the red dot...do not adjust your aimpoint).  The red dot should be half way above your front sight post.

f.  Turn your aimpoint "off"...but leave it mounted on the weapon system.

g.  Shoot 3 rounds looking through your iron sights.

h.  Make adjustments (if necessary) to iron sights to ensure point of impact is the same as when you use your aimpoint

Link Posted: 7/11/2001 12:50:56 PM EDT
[#11]
You should now be good to go.  If your aimpoint was zeroed correctly your red dot will sit halfway above your front sight post.  This will also serve as a "double check" when you remove and remount your aimpoint to your weapon (everything should line up correctly).

Do you have only one rear aperature?  Or can you flip between large and small...like on a standard rear sight?  I imagine Allan put the larger rear aperature on becuse it causes less of an obstruction when looking at the aimpoint.  
    Personally, I like the A2 rear because I can switch to the small aperature when using iron sights for longer distances.

Sorry for being so long winded....But I recommend getting the spacer and if you don't need it (because the "old style" rear sight sits lower than a standard A2 rear)...no sweat.  But if it is the same you will be glad you have it...not to mention, if you ever get another standard flatop AR you will be able to switch the aimpoint over with the spacer.

Hope this helps,
Bear_Hunter
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 6:34:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Would one of you guys that has a ZM mind posting a picture of the UNDER SIDE of the handguards?  I notice that they offer a handgrip that slides along the bottom of the handguard. I could imagine that there is a groove or slot in there. I'm trying to imagine what that would look and feel like in your hand.
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 7:59:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Pete,

The handguards do not have a rail underneath.  The foregrip is installed by a screw...there are 5 positions under the hanguard for you to screw it in.  With the foregrip removed the handguards are perfectly round

...was that what you were asking about?  Sorry I don't have a digital cam

Bear_Hunter
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 7:59:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 8:20:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Hows it goin Duff!!

Yep, it took me forever to move in.  The government gave me 13 days of travel to get to Louisiana from Alaska (had to stop enroute to visit the in-laws[>(]) so I took a few days of leave.  When I got to Ft. Polk we went right into a rotation so that took me out of the net for a little while.  It took 5 weeks to get quarters on post so we just recently moved in.  It is HOTTER that $%&# here!!!  humidity is kicking my butt[;)]  I'm used to the cool Alaska winters [:D]

I saw your completed project!  That Accuracy intl is one sweet rifle (You SOB[;)])

Just found out the wife is pregnant again so my purchases are going to be put on hold for a while (had my sights set on a DSA SA-58[:(])  I guess I have to live vicariously through you until I can afford more toys!
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 8:30:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 5:41:48 PM EDT
[#17]
hello do you guys know how heavy the postban one is including the weight of the lower and i was wondering if you could tell me if the rear sight is qd or removable

cause it looks like it would get in the way of the aimpoint cause it does not flip down and you would have to put it in front or in back of the aimpoint and that is no good
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 6:37:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top