Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2002 8:25:53 AM EST
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 9:02:33 AM EST
Not a LEO anywhere, but pretty sure a two-way radio that works on emergency frequencies is not covered by a "ham" license. Sure approaching unity it is not in Virginia. And isn't the "ham" license a Federal thing? Scott
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 9:28:30 AM EST
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 6:03:49 PM EST
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 7:05:16 PM EST
Article 12, Section 397 of the VTL. It's a misdemeanor, not a violation.
397. EQUIPPING MOTOR VEHICLES WITH RADIO RECEIVING SETS CAPABLE OF RECEIVING SIGNALS ON THE FREQUENCIES ALLOCATED FOR POLICE USE. A person, not a police officer or peace officer, acting pursuant to his special duties, who equips a motor vehicle with a radio receiving set capable of receiving signals on the frequencies allocated for police use or knowingly uses a motor vehicle so equipped or who in any way knowingly interferes with the transmission of radio messages by the police without having first secured a permit to do so from the person authorized to issue such a permit by the local governing body or board of the city, town or village in which such person resides, or where such person resides outside of a city, or village in a county having a county police department by the board of supervisors of such county, is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by a fine not exceeding one thousand dollars, or imprisonment not exceeding six months, or both. Nothing in this section contained shall be construed to apply to any person who holds a valid amateur radio operator's license issued by the federal communications commission and who operates a duly licensed portable mobile transmitter and in connection therewith a receiver or receiving set on frequencies exclusively allocated by the federal communications commission to duly licensed radio amateurs.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 6:43:09 PM EST
Top Top