Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 4/7/2006 11:17:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/7/2006 12:10:07 PM EDT by David0858]
I was burgled and robbed Tuesday night. I drove up in front as they were throwing my stuff (guns) out the back door and evidently ran out the back as I was driving up as I found out later. I got out of my truck, rounded the front of the truck to go in the back door and saw an AR15 mag on the walk. I stopped and looked and saw some of my guns on the ground and the back door wide open (more guns than one person could be carrying at one time so they were obviously being put out and not just dropped when someone ran out).

I got back behind the truck where I could see the back door from there and tried to call 911 but the phone was cutting in and out. I called the next door nieghbor and just said " Call 911, I'm being robbed and they may still be in the house". He came out in just a minute and told me 911 said to go on in the house and check it out, the robbers were probably gone. I was thought to myself, WHAT????

A little background why - I only had a few guns not in the safe, some air rifles and old junk C&R's of odd calibers and no ammo for any of these, but I thought everything AR was in the safe. With the AR mag on the sidewalk, I assumed they had got into the safe and could be well armed and still in the house as I had been watching the back and the neighbor had brought a rifle when he came and was watching the front. No one had came out since I'd been there. I didn't think my Keltec P11 and myself were up to the job.

I called 911 back and the cell phone worked right this time. I explained to the dispatcher how well armed anyone left in the house could be and she said she would send someone. Thirty minutes later a deputy drove up, no lights no siren, no speed and we explain the situation. He pulled his handgun and headed on in the back door the check the house out.

As it turned out no one was in there and I assume that I has just missed putting up one of the AR mags, as the safe was untouched.

My question is, is the response in this situation normal? This is NOT a criticism of the Deputy. I had explained to him before he went in the house what might be waiting for him. He had more balls than I did. My problem is the 911 reaction and responce.

All I actually lost was what one person could have carried as they ran off. An older laptop computer, cheap BB pistol and a lock back knife. The gun outside had actually been thrown of the porch. They were scrathed and dented with one stock broken and a shotgun barrel badly dented.

A lot is somewhere else now and a good security system is going in.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:19:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/7/2006 11:20:11 AM EDT by bcw107]
Where was this? What exactly is the question? I assume you realize that if you are in a very rural area, that may be the only deputy on duty and his backup may be a long way off.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:20:04 AM EDT
How rural of an area are you talking about?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:22:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/7/2006 11:24:03 AM EDT by AR15fan]

Originally Posted By David0858:
My question is, is the response in this situation normal? .

No. Interupted burglary (not robbery) in progress is a priority one call. Where i work they would dispatch every avalable officer, a Sgt, a K9 and an airship to that call. We would be there in less than two minutes, because catching burglars is fun!

Sounds as if you live someplace where the tax base does not support a well trained, staffed and equipped police force.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:23:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By AR15fan:

No. Interupted burglary (not robbery) in progress is a priority one call. Where i work they would dispatch every availbale officer, a sgt, a K9 and an airship to that call.

Sounds as if you live someplace where the tax base does not support a well trained, staffed and equipped police force.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Probably a sheriff named Buck who is more of a figurehead than a Conservator of the Peace.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:24:00 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:24:55 AM EDT
I can't believe they said to go and check it out yourself. Most dispatchers will tell you not to follow a vehicle you've called in. They'd rather you be as far out of harm's way as possible.

As for his response - I can't say for sure how far away he might have been or how large your county is to account for his response time, but there are not many types of calls you respond lights and sirens right up to the door. Any crime in progress, you want to shut them off a ways out so as not to spook anyone inside and cause them to do more harm in their panic. Who knows though, he could've just been driving along, leisurely making his way to your place. He'd be wrong to do so, but only he could answer that.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:29:16 AM EDT
I almost never use my siren, scares away the bad guys.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:31:39 AM EDT

No. Interupted burglary (not robbery) in progress is a priority one call. Where i work they would dispatch every avalable officer, a Sgt, a K9 and an airship to that call. We would be there in less than two minutes, because catching burglars is fun!

TEE HAW HAW
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:34:53 AM EDT
Please don't tell me it was in Hunt County.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:37:59 AM EDT

I had explained to him before he went in the house what might be waiting for him. He had more balls than I did.

No. He had less sense than you did.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:39:44 AM EDT
In some of the county I work it may take a half-hour to respond running code...The deputy may of shut it down a couple miles from your home to keep the element of surprise...just an idea.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:43:39 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Old_Painless:

I had explained to him before he went in the house what might be waiting for him. He had more balls than I did.

I do that almost daily. I must be senseless.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:46:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By AZ-K9:

Originally Posted By Old_Painless:

I do that almost daily. I must be senseless.

I doubt it.

I will freely admit that many years ago when I was a LEO, I did the same.

But now that I am better trained, I would do things differently.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:51:18 AM EDT
Depending the size of the county, manpower on hand, etc.. response times vary. I would never roll into a situation like yours coming in fast with lights and sirens going. For something like this I would have parked down the street and approached the rest of the way on foot.

Somewhere, someone is probably bitching about seeing a Deputy driving fast for no reason other than to get to the donut shop.

The dispatcher telling you to go inside and check things out is a big no, no.

BTW. Sounds like some local kids broke in.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:03:59 PM EDT
You should have received a quicker response unless your area does not have it's own police department. There are several areas in my State where LE assistance can be 10-15 minutes out if it is a priority call. Sometimes other departments closer than the primary responding agency will respond and secure the area until the primary department arrives.

But that brings me to my department and it's new policy. They have "re-organized." We still have the same defined patrol areas, yet permission is needed to leave them(its still up to debate if permission is needed to take a bathroom break). This means there is one officer in each of the two areas with a roving Sergeant or Captain to provide assistance. The other night we received a call of a prowler attempting to enter a residence. The Sergeant advised dispatch to send the officer assigned to that side and he would be the back up. Well I don't know what the outcome was, but I would have thought it would be nice to have a K9 en route as well. Needless to say I still went to a business nearby and covered the perimeter with NVG until they cleared. Sometimes I just have to wonder what they are thinking.

Mike

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:20:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/7/2006 12:39:41 PM EDT by David0858]
I'm not critical of the deputy. We are a rural county and he may have been the only one on patrol and in the other end of the county. He did drive up and parked right in front of the house. If someone had stuck one of my rifles out my bedroom window they could have ventilated him and his vehicle at close range.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:13:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/7/2006 1:14:04 PM EDT by David0858]
I have learned some things from this.

1. Having a Keltec P11 CCW gun waiting for someone(s) to potentially come out with one or more AR's and AK's doesn't give you a warm, fuzzy feeling.

2. There is a truck (long) gun in my future.

3. Even the cheapo steel gun lockers (Homak, ect) are worth there weight in gold. They stop someone from grabbing and running. It takes time and noise to get in even them.

4. The money you didn't spend on the security system seems like a REALLY bad decision after you needed it and didn't have it.

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:30:16 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:16:44 AM EDT
The response largely depends on what your neighbor told them. The fact the dispatcher wanted you to check the house out tells me there was a communications disconnect at that point.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:31:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/8/2006 6:32:25 AM EDT by Crock]
The deputy was likely just on his 2nd cream filled break of the night shift. Interupting that for a mere robbery in progress? Not likely!

You did not tell us: When did he shoot your dog? On the way or on the way out of you house?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:55:59 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:08:20 AM EDT

That's one hell of a small town police department.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:18:35 AM EDT

Originally Posted By shotar:
The response time is normal. The level of response is not.

+1
Can't imagine less than 2 units showing up, and waiting for a third before going in.

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:22:26 AM EDT

Interupted burglary (not robbery) in progress is a priority one call. Where i work they would dispatch every avalable officer, a Sgt, a K9 and an airship to that call. We would be there in less than two minutes, because catching burglars is fun!

Maybe we should all move to LA where there's enough crime to warrant such expensive police services.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:02:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By tvc184:

That's one hell of a small town police department.

Small towns should contract for police services with larger agencies.

If your town only has two or three cops you'll get better service by contracting with a larger local agency. They will provide two or three officers to cover your town in additional to acess to the larger agencies Air support, K9s, investigations, SWAT. All the for same amount of money, or less, than the existing police force is costing the tax payers.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:29:37 AM EDT
So is anyone in this thread suprised that police arent able to stop crime?

Ultimately it is up to us as individuals to protect ourselves and our property.

Arm, train, and prepare accordingly.
Top Top