Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 8/3/2001 10:59:30 AM EST
Do you need to take a hunter's safety training course before you use a DNR firing range?
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 11:30:26 AM EST
No. And if you are talking about the one in Richmond Hill on Kilkenny road, there is no rangemaster or supervision anyway.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 12:19:03 PM EST
According to the rules at the two I have been to, YES. I have been to the one at Big Lazer Creek WMA and West Point WMA. My guess would be A definate yes!!!, Although I have taken friends and taught them how to shoot and no game warden ever checked and I was pretty suret hey don't have one.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 12:26:55 PM EST
this issue came up last year with a group i shoot with. when asked, the head of DNR said a GA Firearms Permit (CCW) would be acceptable also. nothing in writing, just word of mouth. never had problems of that type at a WMA range in GA. since last year, most of the ones in north GA have banned Full Auto and Suppressors. scott out
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 12:51:05 PM EST
I go to Big Lazer fairly often, in fact I was there yesterday and I have read the posted rules in the past and I think it only says: No drinking, safety glasses required etc. I don't think it makes any mention of a Hunter safety card. I think I would remember it if it did but I am not positive. I have some hunting property about twenty minutes from there and whenever i go to the land I usually go by the range and shoot for a couple of hours. I usually go during the week and I rarely see another person let alone a ranger. This range is totally unsupervised but it is covered and has a concrete floor and pretty nice shooting tables. I will take the time to carefully read the rules next time to be 100% sure but I beleive what I said is true.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 1:18:39 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/4/2001 5:55:01 AM EST by scottjimenez]
Charlie Elliott, John's Mtn, and Wilson Shoals WMA's have the rule posted (about HS card). if your WMA ruleboard has not been updated, then you are fine. you're really fine anyway. the rangers do not check ID or hassle anyone (except for unfortunate incidents when the rangers flip out about Full Auto Fire). scott out
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 1:33:43 PM EST
ftw46 or CHUCK6419...Where is the range at Big Lazer creek located? I live less than 20 minutes from there and didn't know that there was a range there! Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 3:08:56 PM EST
Continue on the main road pass the lake and keep going straight. It is about 3 miles after you come in the main entrance. For some reason it has never been listed with the other WMA ranges.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 5:45:55 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 6:58:54 AM EST
Hollywood, The range on big Lazr Creek is about halfway through the manegment area, on the right if you are coming from Po-BiDDY road. If you don't know how to get there, then read the directions from talboton in the GA hunting regulations. You DO Have to have a hunter's safety card. I am going there on august 12 with a friend shooting. I live about an hour away. ftw46, I have shot there on several occasions and have read that a Hunter's safety card is required. Nobby, Just get your hunter's safety card anyway, it is a fun course easay and very educational. I would recommend taking anyone who doesn't hunt to one too, they would learn alot. if you have lost your card you can go to http://www.gohuntgeorgia.com and print out a new one. -Chuck
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 7:34:54 AM EST
Hollywood' Went to the DNR website you posted above, but when I key on the Map listing all in gives me is a CHART of DNR activities and programs. Is there a MAP of DNR facilities on the site somewhere that I haven't found????
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 8:55:16 AM EST
nobby, Chuck and Scott are correct that you are supposed to have a HS card to shoot at the WMA ranges. I've shot at several around the state and have never been asked. Late 1999/ early 2000 there were several AR15.com shoots here in North Georgia. Some of the muzzle loader shooters at the range (Wilson Shoals) complained about the "evil black rifles" and a WMA official wanted HS cards etc. at that point. This was the only occassion that I have heard of that the HS card was brought up. IIRC, the matter was resolved and WMA said that a carry permit or a DD-214 would be acceptable as well. I recently had the opportunity to provide input as to range improvements at the Redlands WMA range. The district Ranger, Barnie Gyant, came by the range with an assistant and two Sierra Club members while some friends and I were shooting. He asked for our input as to what improvements that we'd like to see and asked us about the existing plan to shift the direction of the range (great idea since the range is parallel to the entrance road. The Sierra Club opposes it because a hundred or so pine trees would need to be cut. The Forest Service sells the cut timber to offset expenses and the Sierra Club thinks that they are just trying to make money from the trees. Needless to say, the tree huggers looked very uncomfortable with all the "evil" assault weapons out on the benches. Sorry to be so longwinded with the answer but I thought it was a great example of how some of teh officials actually care about the people who use the facilities. Mike
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 11:48:30 AM EST
Thanks CHUCK6419 for the facts. I have had a hunter safety card for many years even though I am not required. When my boys were young I took them and went through the class as you are never too old to learn. I will start carrying it in my wallet now just to be safe. Thanks
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 11:00:12 AM EST
no problem ftw46, you are welcome. My Dad took the course with me when he didn't have to. He loved the course and actually wouldn't mind taking it again. Neither would I. Just have it to be on the safe side. The rule is to have one so that the rangers know that at least the people out there have had just a little bit of gun safety to make sure that they don't get sued if an accident occurred. That's why the rule is there. I go to shoot at the Big lazer creeak WMA just about once a month. August 12 in the afternoon/evening is my next trip. All the DNR ranges close at dark, must have eye and ear protection, paper targets only(no plinking bottles,cans etc. they don't want it to look like trash)no alchohol, tobacco, or drugs, no FUll_auto, no supressed weapons, Must have a Hunter's Safety Card, Single Projectile weapons only, Always have the action open when ppl are downrange. That's my summary so you definately wanna double check. they are a great Resource and I am glad the yare there, but please call the DNR and have them close the range during main hunting hours on WMA hunts, the noise is very distracting when ppl are firing 30 round clips when you are hunting less than a half a mile away. -CHUCK out
Top Top