Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2003 9:14:45 AM EDT
....seems pretty basic, but I'm trying to learn here.  Would the wires that power my back porch light socket be the same wires needed to power an outdoor outlet?  What I'm getting at is, could I take out the socket, and then using the existing wires simply wire up an outdoor outlet box?  This would seem to be a cheaper alternative to having an outlet installed from scratch and we don't really need that socket, as we plan on using the outlet to power some rope lights.  Any info would be much appreciated!

--ZERO
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 9:20:40 AM EDT
[#1]
It is probably 14 ga. and could be used to set an outlet. Are you planning on the box being switched on/off?
I have my Christmas lights rigged that way![:D]

Flip a switch and they are off!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 9:22:38 AM EDT
[#2]
As long as it is a 110 socket you can do it.
For outdoor use, you need to use a ground fault interupt, and waterproof housing.
Home Depot or Lowes (or equivalent) will have the parts and instructions you need.
Also check with local codes for hight requirements.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 9:29:59 AM EDT
[#3]
BD:  yep, I figured having that socket already wired into a switch inside would be pretty handy!  How would I determine the guage of the wire?  

Gunslinger:  I figured I'd have to use a gfi, but I hadn't thought about local codes.  I'll cetainly check that.  Are there usually restrictions on how high up an outlet can be.  What's the technical logic behind a restriction like that?

Thanks for answering my questions guys, this is helping alot and saving me money!

--ZERO
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 9:37:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Each city varies on codes, in my town they have some pretty weird restrictions on electric outlet placement.
Has to do mostly with water run off, (as if it rains here).
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 9:46:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
BD:  yep, I figured having that socket already wired into a switch inside would be pretty handy!  How would I determine the guage of the wire?  
View Quote

The size of the wire doesn't really matter in your application.  Just use a 15A GFCI receptacle and you're good to go.

Gunslinger:  I figured I'd have to use a gfi, but I hadn't thought about local codes.  I'll cetainly check that.  Are there usually restrictions on how high up an outlet can be.  What's the technical logic behind a restriction like that?
View Quote

No, there aren't any hight requirements for a receptacle that is installed in addition to the ones required by code.

And to answer your first question, yes, you can do that.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 9:51:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Each city varies on codes, in my town they have some pretty weird restrictions on electric outlet placement.
Has to do mostly with water run off, (as if it rains here).
View Quote

Just don't install the receptacle in an obvious wet location and you should be ok.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top