Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 7/19/2002 8:36:35 AM EST
I am planning a trip to northern ontario in late august and out of curiosity I started reading some of the regs regarding bringing a gun to canada. I'm not planning on taking one with me I was just curious. This got me thinking what hoops you guys that live there have to jump throug to get guns. It said that if someone is from out of the country that they neep a permit just to buy ammo and stuff. Do you guys have to have a permit to buy ammo? Can you just head down to the local shop and pick up extra magazines or do you have to show some sort of ID. This is not intended as a flame I just would like to know what the differences are. In the states I can walk into almost anywhere and pick up some ammo and they don't even ask for ID unless you look to young. I could go to a sporting good shop and pick up mags and other accesories when I was a kid. So basically what's up with guns in our neighbor to the north?
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 8:46:13 AM EST
I live on the border and shoot with our neighbors in Canada. For us (read that Americans) we have to get a paper filled out and pay about $50 per arm to take to Canada, it is good for one year. As for hand guns forget it, unless you have access to a club there and are there for a competition. You do not want to get caught there with a hangun under any other circumstances. They (Canadians) bring down their hanguns to compete here but they keep their high capacity (38 Super) mags here in lockup.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 8:53:13 AM EST
It is easier to bring gun out of Canada then bring them in.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 9:15:12 AM EST
I understand those things. I was wondering if say for instance you (a canadian citizen) owned a hunting rifle that uses magazines. After you own the rifle is there any special paperwork that is necessary to buy ammo, accesories, or magazines? Is there any special paperwork required for a canadian citizen to buy a gun? Like in Illinois residents need FOID cards, to buy guns.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 5:17:02 PM EST
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 5:36:16 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/19/2002 5:50:03 PM EST by Stormbringer]
You need to have a Possession Aqusition Licence (PAL) or Possession Only License (POL) to buy ammo in Canada. IIRC Americans are allowed to bring up to 200 rounds into Canada from the USA for hunting or target purposes. Americans CAN get PALs if they take the course and pass the test etc ( and pay for the permit). If you want to bring firearms into Canada you need to have them registered ahead of time. The same thing is supposed to occur if you want to borrow one but they do not enforce it yet. Its actually funny. They will allow you Americans to come hunting up here without a PAL etc but we Canadians would go to jail if we tried!! LOL Go to the Fed assholes website for more info. [url]www.cfc.gc.ca[/url] for more details or call them at 1-800-731-4000 Edited to add better link [url]http://www.cfc.gc.ca/en/owners_users/fact_sheets/visitin.asp[/url] You can download the form you need to have filled out at the above site and have it ready. I have heard of up to 2 hr delays at the border if you do not have it ready. Oh Sigbluestar.....that is not true. I cannot bring my AR, AK, FN, K2 etc into the USA at all EVER!!. Now I also need a form 6 from the ATF to take ANY firearm at all into the USA even for competitions or hunting. So basically the rules are even. I cannot even go to a gun show and buy ammo in the USA legally anymore due to the same laws. Oh ARgon...we Canucks cannot bring our handgun down for Competitions anymore without the form 6 as well. I know MANY guys who will not bother anymore and just shoot up here. I myself have not been across the border since the new US law came into effect on Feb 18th. For those who want to know it was a Clinton law that Bush did not bother to stop before it went into play.....all us Terrorist Canadians I guess. Guncrazy.....where are you crossing into Canada for your trip up north?? Buffalo?? If so you will be passing within 10 minutes of my house on your way up north. ( that is if you will be travelling Highway 401 to 400. Consider this an official invite to drop in for a break on the trip..... Unless you are going to powerdrive up the QEW to the 401 that is.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 6:47:31 PM EST
Storm Thanks for the invite. I haven't actually decided the route i'm traveling yet. This is a trip with inlaws, I'll be driving seperately but I've never driven there before. But if I decide to stop by I'll give ya a holler first. One other thing about the gun rules. If you have a gun like an AR in canada can you buy extra uppers easily or do you have to use the PAL for that too, what about AR mags do you have to jump through any hoops to purchase extra mags. Basically I'm looking for a plain language breakdown of what is restricted for canadians and what you can just walk into a store and buy. Not me coming there and buying something, but what do you have to go through. Thanks Rick
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 4:32:38 AM EST
AR uppers are just spare parts and do not have to be registered. Only the lower is registered and is considered to be a restricted weapon which means that it is treated like a handgun. This is why we are allowed to have short barrels on our ( 7.5inch) not that I would want one anyway. Mags are here and there and are not controled as long at they are limited to only 5 rounds. Mag kits ( dissasembled mags) are not controled at all.......:) LOL To buy any gun you need to have a background check and pass a course. Your permit lasts for 5 years. When you guy a gun ( or lower) you have to report the sale to the CFC in Miriamichin NB and wait for a transfer number. Then you can go home. Long guns ( non restricted) take a couple of minutes to a few hours. Restricted and Prohibitted transfers can take up to 3 days. You also need a liscence to buy ammo.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 7:02:34 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/21/2002 7:04:31 AM EST by sniper1az]
We Americans need to get the hell out there and VOTE in mass to get rid of these people who make these fucking laws. And our brothers to the north need to do the same ! Or we are both going down the road to socialism where you'll have NO FREEDOM JUST REPRESSION ! It may be too late for us . How about Canada? I've spent lots of time up in northern Ontairo and Quebec and really love the place .
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 7:48:52 AM EST
Guncrazy223: Instead of paying fifty bucks every trip, just get a Restricted Firearm Possession and Acquisition license, which allows foreigners to purchase and possess nonrestricted and restricted firearms and ammunition. Valid for five years. Then buy guns up here using your real dollars & keep 'em up here in a storage unit or with a buddy. I would certanly never suggest storing them in a sealed container in a hole in the ground - that would be illegal, though cheap and effective. There are some interesting deals to be had up here - M1 Garands are cheaper, for instance. You can also purchase guns and accessories here that are not legal in the Land of the Free - shorty ARs for instance, and cheap brand new 10/22 hicaps. Folding stocks. And so on. The politicians who enact these laws aren't idiots despite their obvious disregard for the facts and our rights. Many politicians these days seem to crave power - getting reelected - more than anything else. They know roughly how many votes applying new firearm regulations will lose them. So far this hasn't cost them an election, until Gore. The trick is that unless we change society it it unlikely to change (and vote) according to our liking. The following quote may be helpful in deciding which way to move society in order to eventually secure liberty: 'The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years. These nations have progressed through this sequence: From bondage to spiritual faith; from spritual faith to great courage; from courage to liberty; from liberty to abundance; from abundance to selfishness; from selfishness to complacency; from complacency to apathy; from apathy to dependancy; from dependency back into bondage.' - Alexander Tyler
Top Top