Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2006 10:38:19 AM EDT
Does the H model Herc have a liquid or gaseous oxygen system?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:55:18 AM EDT
[#1]
LOX.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:19:28 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Does the H model Herc have a liquid or gaseous oxygen system?

Depends on branch of service actually, I know the USMC hercs have GOX, and I think the Navy ones do too, but the AF H models are Lox, as was previously stated.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:15:51 AM EDT
[#3]
How does the gaseous system work? I'm familiar with the LOX, MA shop back in the late 60's. I think it's AES shop now.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:49:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
How does the gaseous system work? I'm familiar with the LOX, MA shop back in the late 60's. I think it's AES shop now.

The -130s I have seen with GOx on them had big green bottles (you know the ones, like on old school O2 carts) strapped along the cargo compartment at the ceiling to wall joint.  It takes a lot of gas volume to equal a few liters of LOx.  It is safer though, I guess.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:20:15 AM EDT
[#5]
That's kind of what I pictured, thanks.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:30:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The -130s I have seen with GOx on them had big green bottles (you know the ones, like on old school O2 carts) strapped along the cargo compartment at the ceiling to wall joint.  It takes a lot of gas volume to equal a few liters of LOx.  It is safer though, I guess.  

Green bottles are for high pressure GOX, low pressure GOX (such as the KC-135) is stored in yellow bottles.

The other plus side of GOX over LOX is that LOX will boil off at room temp and will need constant refilling to keep filled.  A good GOX system can go weeks without needing a top off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top