Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2006 10:27:19 AM EDT
Try not to laugh, but I'd like to replace the sorry ass 8mb video card in my Dell Inspiron 7500 laptop.
I know it's easy to pull out, but does anyone actually MAKE a better video card for it ?
It's an older laptop, so I'm assuming there are few accessories still available for it.
I already ordered a 512mb RAM upgrade from Crucial, and will have that in hand next week.

Can the CPU be upgraded as well ?  maybe to 700-750mhz ?  Not sure what the MB will support.

Also, what brand or part number hard drive do I need to buy...  
The 12g HD seems to be filling up fast...   I was thinking maybe at least a 20g-60g HD would be ample.

Current config is this:
CPU is a P3 @ 650mhz
256mb RAM (soon to be 512mb)
12g HD

Here's the vid card in it now...

Thanks in advance !

ART

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:32:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Not sure if those items are actually replaceable without sending the thing to Dell.
Ever opened up a laptop before?

My advice: Sell it and buy a Mac.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:32:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:35:52 AM EDT
[#3]
As much as I hate ebay...

cgi.ebay.com/DELL-LAPTOP-32MB-VIDEO-CARD_W0QQitemZ6853588604QQcategoryZ74957QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You decide if it's worth the bad karma.

<EDIT>
Be sure to get the one designed for your laptop. It would help if you could actually look at the one that is in it right now.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:36:46 AM EDT
[#4]
laptop video cards are not upgradable. I think there are a few companies that make laptops with upgradable video cards but they are those niche OEMs like alienware,voodoo,etc.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:37:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
laptop video cards are not upgradable.

It is in this model.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:40:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like you just need to get a new laptophough,Not worth the hassles to upgrade an old laptop IMHO

Just looked really quick - This cheap notebook would be much better than yours upgraded. $449 after $100 rebate  Can you cancel your crucial order?

configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=iB120S1&s=dhs
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:44:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
laptop video cards are not upgradable.

It is in this model.

The Vid card definitely is replacable, I've had it out already...   Just can't do it right now, or I wouldn't be able to post.
It's only a matter of popping off the plastic cover and removing 2 screws. The Vid card pops right out.

It's really not a bad computer. I've had ZERO trouble with it. It's surprisingly fast for what it is...  My boss's new 3.0ghz desktop is slower than this laptop at 651mhz...

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:18:42 AM EDT
[#9]
my question is why on earth would you want ot upgrade all that for your laptop.

the video card i guess i capable of being replaced.   but what advantage is it going to give you.   you gonna play solitate at 2fp instead of 1.  

that old of a laptop might use a 40gb drive with a bios flash.   anything above that your wasting your money.

a 512 mb chip is not compatible with that laptop.  so im hoping you ordered 2X 256's.  

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:33:03 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
my question is why on earth would you want ot upgrade all that for your laptop.

the video card i guess i capable of being replaced.   but what advantage is it going to give you.   you gonna play solitate at 2fp instead of 1.  

that old of a laptop might use a 40gb drive with a bios flash.   anything above that your wasting your money.

a 512 mb chip is not compatible with that laptop.  so im hoping you ordered 2X 256's.  

I've got very little money into it, and have had NO problems with it. To me, it's cheaper to put a few dollars into it, than to buy a new one. Parts are pretty cheap for the older stuff.
Yes, I got two 256mb cards...  I'm not THAT stupid...
I've got less than $300 into it, including the $150 worth of RAM I ordered for it.
I've had it almost 2 years now, and it's been a great machine. I'd buy another used one just like it before I'd buy an expensive new one.

Also... This is my personal laptop, but is used by several co-workers from time to time. I'd rather not have a high-dollar machine sitting on the countertop for someone to dump a cup of coffee in.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:41:54 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm not sure exactly what you hope to gain by upgrading your video card. Any possible benefit to upgrading the card will be negated by the still slow processor and low memory. Even if you can find a different card to put in it, it's not worth the trouble, because you'd have to upgrade everything else in the computer to gain any real benefit.

Buy a new computer.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:44:40 AM EDT
[#12]
personally, i would save up the $$ and just buy a new system.  vid cards in laptops are a pain in the ass to replace, and usually cost significantly more than any performance boost is worth.

dell is notorious for being very proprietary in their card shapes, so that you will need to buy a dell part to get it to fit.  that way they can charge what they want for the parts because they have you bent over the barrel
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:49:48 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
dell is notorious for being very proprietary in their card shapes, so that you will need to buy a dell part to get it to fit.  that way they can charge what they want for the parts because they have you bent over the barrel

I think I'll just stick to the RAM upgrade...
I know how miserable Dell can be to deal with...  I needed a replacement hinge, and called them looking for the part. They jerked me off for a few minutes until I just told them forget it.
I found the hinge on Ebay and had it in my hands 2 days later.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:57:25 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think I'll just stick to the RAM upgrade...
I know how miserable Dell can be to deal with...  I needed a replacement hinge, and called them looking for the part. They jerked me off for a few minutes until I just told them forget it.
I found the hinge on Ebay and had it in my hands 2 days later.

good..... the ram i can understand the video card i couldn't

make sure you have good antivirus installed, be safe online and you will be set to go for a while
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:58:58 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
[I've got less than $300 into it, including the $150 worth of RAM I ordered for it.
I've had it almost 2 years now, and it's been a great machine. I'd buy another used one just like it before I'd buy an expensive new one.

So now you will have a shitty laptop that has $150 worth of RAM in it.  You could take that $150 and add $300 and get a new, cheap laptop that will blow your old laptop out of the water.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:04:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:08:36 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I am DSCE, I have all the PDFs for what you can change and plug into it.

IM me your full model number off the bottom.

IM sent.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:32:43 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
So now you will have a shitty laptop that has $150 worth of RAM in it.  You could take that $150 and add $300 and get a new, cheap laptop that will blow your old laptop out of the water.

I didn't ask if I should buy a new laptop. I asked about upgrades. If you have nothing of value to add, then what exactly is your point ?

Per my previous statement, I have NO intention of buying a new laptop...

Originally Posted By DragracerArt
"This is my personal laptop, but is used by several co-workers from time to time. I'd rather not have a high-dollar machine sitting on the countertop for someone to dump a cup of coffee in."

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:35:10 PM EDT
[#19]
There's only real solution.  A sledgehammer and a credit card.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:37:24 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I am DSCE, I have all the PDFs for what you can change and plug into it.

IM me your full model number off the bottom.

--ETA:  Nevermind.  Nothing "new" can really be added.  MBD will autodetect a processor up to 800Mhz

VidCard you are stuck with.

Hard drive can go to 80G

i'll remember that.  you could be usefull in the future.  

as you have been before......... usefull i mean
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:46:00 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't ask if I should buy a new laptop. I asked about upgrades. If you have nothing of value to add, then what exactly is your point ?

Per my previous statement, I have NO intention of buying a new laptop...

You asked about advice, there's some advice.  Putting money into a laptop that old is a waste.  You would be better off getting a new one.  A new one isn't that expensive, especially if you can afford to put $150 of RAM into a Pentium III.  

Don't want advice, don't ask for it then.

I am in a computer upgrade/repair company, and I've told this to clients who would have paid me money to upgrade.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:48:20 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

How can you use that thing with the big white dot in the middle of the screen?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:05:00 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
home.comcast.net/~yullose002/dell7500.JPG

How can you use that thing with the big white dot in the middle of the screen?

hey laptops have a backlight to ya know

sometimes you just need a good pair of sun glasses  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top