Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 9/18/2009 5:05:04 AM EST
So I'm putting in a contract on a house today. It's got some pretty neat features, but one thing that's really got me stumped. In the garage downstairs is an open water holding tank sort of thing. I've never seen anything like it, but my Realtor asked the listing agent about it and he said it is some component of the air conditioning system, but that he didn't know anything beyond that. Apparently they're somewhat rare as the listing agent said he called around several A/C companies looking for details and most of them didn't have any idea.

What kind of A/C system uses a large water tank in the garage?? What do I need to know about these systems as a potential new home owner? Where can I find more information on them?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:18:45 AM EST
An open tank? Is it collecting condensate for... something?

Any tubes coming to or from it? where do they go? Where does the water appear to be coming from?

I actually saw a home-made tank that a guy had fabricated to collect his condensate, then re-introduce it into the ductwork as 'extra humidity'. I had to explain to him why that wouldn't really work too well.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:23:54 AM EST
Possibly part of a geothermal system?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:31:26 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/18/2009 6:12:59 AM EST by OlCrow]
Possibly a sump for an evaporative ac system.

Water runs over a media, fan blows air through the media cooling the air.

Here's an example of this cooling system.

CLICK HERE

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:41:59 AM EST
what mkes you think its part of ac sysem?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:43:17 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/18/2009 5:43:50 AM EST by fxntime]
Swamp cooler? Sounds like an old outdated one tho.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:53:49 AM EST
Originally Posted By fxntime:

+1, I usually come across them on old buildings around Atlanta
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:14:44 AM EST
Originally Posted By birddogz:
Originally Posted By fxntime:

+1, I usually come across them on old buildings around Atlanta

Company I worked for sold a new one to a resturant a few years ago. They are still made and used.

Surprised me too.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:22:28 AM EST
The home was built in 2004, so the concept may be old, but not the implementation.

I would have to look at it again, but there were definitely tubes or coils or something coming out of the tank, I just can't remember quite what they looked like. I asked an A/C guy at work and he said it could be some sort of pre-cooling tank to make the system run more efficiently. Basically run the hot air through coils in the tank (connected to a well) to cool it down before getting compressed and all that jazz.

I'll have to get some pics when I get a chance. Thanks for the responses so far...
Top Top