Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2010 6:45:58 PM EDT
Can a portion of a trademark slogan be legally used as long as it's not the exact phrase ONLY?  

For instance, if a company has the phrase "Be Good" trademarked, can another business that is completely unrelated use "Be Good Shoes?"
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:06:00 PM EDT
[#1]
If they both made shoes the answer is maybe not. If one made shoes and the other made ladders the answer is probabaly. IANAL but this is how I understand the law. SS
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:16:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
If they both made shoes the answer is maybe not. If one made shoes and the other made ladders the answer is probabaly. IANAL but this is how I understand the law. SS

Yes, I'm thinking it's ok because the products are so wildly different.  But I did read something that said even abstract phrases can be trademarked, such as "Just Do It" for Nike.  I guess we need to contact a profeshunal to make sure.  I was hoping for a quick *yes* or *no* from an expert!  GD is swimming in know-it-alls most nights!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top