Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2006 9:06:32 AM EDT
Recently, an AR15 build that I had ordered was just finished and is scheduled to be shipped to me this week.  I sent the remainder of the balance to the builder, but as I was doing so, I began to wonder if a tip was appropriate.

Here is my thinking:  I believe (but I am not certain since I have never personally done this) that in situations like roofing and landscaping, tips are sometimes given to the contractor at the end of the project.  There are other times where the person performing the work is tipped at the end of the project as well.  

Is this a similar type of situation where a tip would be appropriate?  The person doing the build had to get prices on a number of parts that they don't normally use in their rifles.  I also changed some of the build specifications midway through the quote.  I have yet to fire the rifle (since it has not been shipped) but the entire time, the person I have been dealing with has been extremely helpful and nice.

I don't want to be seen as a prick if this is a situation where a tip is expected, I just am not sure because I had never thought about tipping in the context of firearms before.  Sorry if this is just a really stupid question.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:07:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't tip.  You are paying him for a service rendered.  He isn't turning over a portion of the earnings to anyone else, from what I understand, as is typical in many service-type jobs.  It's a fair deal as it is.

ETA:  I worked as a waiter for three years during college, if that adds any credence to my opinion.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:00:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd give him a tip alright.
Something along the lines of "Look both ways before crossing the street", or "Club soda can remove some stains".
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:09:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I would say it depends on how well you are pleased with your completed rifle. If service exceeds expectations, thats when I consider tipping someone (other than when normally expected to tip).

IBTPOSBAMPIRD

In before the picture of Steve Buscemi as Mr. Pink in Resevoir Dogs
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:27:21 PM EDT
[#4]
If you plan on having him do some work for you in the future and think he may remember..."Hey thats the dude who threw me the extra TJ...".  I guess your motivation in this case is not very altruistic...but what the hell....Or if you just think he deserves it...go a head why not?  

I recently had a guy out to fix some burst pipes in the other house from the December freeze.  He quoted me couple hundred and I said sure.  It turned out there was a lot more work than a couple hundy, so I threw him an extra hundred when it was all said and done.  Still a pretty good deal for me and he appreciated it a lot.

My thinking, as I am sure I will have him out to work on the house again, well you can figure out my thinking.

Basically, it boils down to if I hire someone to do a job and they go above and beyond the call or do something I would later have to do myself or hire someone else to do...I throw them some extra...

Tipped the Dish guy for hooking me up with an extra dish....he was so stoked.... I couldn't beleive how happy he was....and it gave me a warm fuzzy too.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:38:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I recently had a guy out to fix some burst pipes in the other house from the December freeze.  He quoted me couple hundred and I said sure.  It turned out there was a lot more work than a couple hundy, so I threw him an extra hundred when it was all said and done.  Still a pretty good deal for me and he appreciated it a lot.

My thinking, as I am sure I will have him out to work on the house again, well you can figure out my thinking.

Fixing burst pipes, outdoors, in the middle of winter is a whole different ball game than purchasing a firearm for an agreed-upon price.

The person doing the build had to get prices on a number of parts that they don't normally use in their rifles. I also changed some of the build specifications midway through the quote. I have yet to fire the rifle (since it has not been shipped) but the entire time, the person I have been dealing with has been extremely helpful and nice.

Par for the course. If you offer a service, people will call upon you for variations of the service. If the price qoute changes with each successive change in the original order, no tip would ne necessary. If you are getting something that could be considered an "upgrade" over what you ordered initially, a tip may be more appropriate, but probably not expected or required.
The "extremely helpful and nice" part is just good customer service. Assholes tend to not get repeat business, referrals to customer's friends, and good reviews of their products/services.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:38:40 PM EDT
[#6]
As a DISH guy, I say thanks. And yes if its above and beyone throw him a bone.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:10:19 PM EDT
[#7]
no tip, prompt payment is a tip in and of itself
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top