Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2008 1:42:03 PM EDT
My window guys says he has to put tempered glass near the window that is close to the door way.  He says they have to do that so that way if someone is trying to enter the home they wont cut themself too bad on the glass.

I just gave him a WTF look.

i mean if someone is trying to break in i would like them to cut themself.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:43:20 PM EDT
Maybe you should just wire up the glass with explosives so when someone breaks the glass the whole door blows up.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:43:38 PM EDT
your window guy is an idiot
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:44:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Silence:
your window guy is an idiot

yeah thats what I am thinking...
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:47:12 PM EDT
tempered glass is like safety glass right?
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:47:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/16/2008 1:49:04 PM EDT by xd675]
If a window is installed with in a 2' arc of the swing of the door, that window shall be tempered glass.  

Per International residential Code, glazing in hazardous locations.

ETA:  what state?
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:48:05 PM EDT
It may be a local building code.

Glass in walkways is frequently broken for reasons other than theft.  If you or a family member crash through it accidentally, you'll be glad it's tempered.

If you're worried about glass around a door for security reasons, either put something bulletproof in or leave the glass out altogether.  Hoping an intruder will cut himself is just one bare step above not cleaning your dog poop out of the yard so he'll step in it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:49:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/16/2008 1:51:47 PM EDT by Silence]

Originally Posted By xd675:
If a window is installed with in 2' arc of the swing of the door, that window shall be tempered glass.  

Or something like that yeap.

The glass has to be there, but it aint to keep people from cutting themselves going through it, it is to lower the chances of shattering and injury when somebody slams the door.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:51:45 PM EDT
Tempered glass is fantastic stuff. You want it on all your windows. There are a number of reasons it is "required" near doors. Not the least of which is that the door may swing into the glass and/or push something into the glass. It is installed in these locations for it's toughness.

Most people think tempered glass is like automotive safety glass. It is not the same. Tempered glass is VERY tough. I tried to break out my bathroom window with a crowbar and it would not break. I even scored it with a glass cutter using a star pattern, then hit it again with my crowbar, no luck. I simply could not break it.

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:52:50 PM EDT
I always thought a chinese finger trap kinda deal would be cool.  Let the bastard break the glass, arm goes in, arm sticks.  Your dog gnaws on new chew toy for a few hours.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:54:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By xd675:
If a window is installed with in a 2' arc of the swing of the door, that window shall be tempered glass.  

ETA:  what state?

Correct.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 2:59:53 PM EDT
CA

so the glass has to be pre ban!
Top Top