Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2001 4:42:31 PM EDT
I have a few questions about private in state transfers of handguns. I live in Texas and was wondering if I buy a handgun from an individual if I have to file the transfer or anyother type of notification to the government. And is selling of a handgun by an individual to another individual under 21 legal? Thanks for any info you can give.

Matt
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 7:21:25 PM EDT
[#1]
In TX, no notification to the government is necessary.

An individual needs to be 21 (federal law) to buy a handgun.

hth
Steve
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 9:30:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
An individual needs to be 21 (federal law) to buy a handgun.
View Quote

Absolutely not.  An individual must be 21 to purchase a handgun from a federally licensed dealer, but each state sets the minimum age for private sales.  In Colorado, for instance, it's legal for a private seller to sell a handgun to someone under 21, but over 18.  I'm not sure what the law is for Texas.
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 1:19:30 AM EDT
[#3]
whats the min. 4 WA?
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 7:03:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Circuits, thanks for making the clarification.  This is from the NRA website...

PURCHASE

It is unlawful for any person to sell, rent, loan or give a handgun to any person if the seller knows that the buyer intends to use it unlawfully. It is unlawful to knowingly sell, rent, give or offer to sell, rent or give any firearm to a person under 18 years of age, without the written consent of his parent or guardian.

Link Posted: 6/7/2001 2:42:20 PM EDT
[#5]
www.nra.org

go to the ILA page and on the left side of the frame, click "firearms laws."

Link Posted: 6/7/2001 4:53:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Actually, the rules for the buyer are the same, whether buying a handgun from a dealer or from an individual. Rules for both dealer and individual sellers are ESSENTIALLY the same too (there is no separate standard or statute for each), except that an individual doesn't have the practical means of verifying the legal status of the buyer as does a dealer. An individual can, though, and should (my opinion) ask to see legal proof of residence of the buyer and whatever else they feel satisfies them that the sale is legal.
However, in Texas (thank goodness) no registration or other paperwork is required if you buy a gun from your brother, next door neighbor, or total stranger. The FBI check and "yellow form" is a requirement of the dealer only. That will remain so only if we all continue to vote and support our good legislators with $$$$ to help them stay in office.
Straw purchases between individuals are also illegal, just as they are from a dealer.  
You must have reached your 21st birthday to purchase a handgun in Texas (or in any other state, to the best of my knowledge).
Re the comment about Colorado--wasn't the individual prosecuted who sold a handgun to one of the school shooters?
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 5:51:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You must have reached your 21st birthday to purchase a handgun in Texas (or in any other state, to the best of my knowledge).
Re the comment about Colorado--wasn't the individual prosecuted who sold a handgun to one of the school shooters?
View Quote

Perhaps in texas, but not in all 50.  Yes, the guy was prosecuted, but because the buyer there was 17.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top