Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2008 6:19:48 AM EDT
My grandpa has a police scanner that he uses to listen to police and fire frequencies.  He bought this scanner in the early 1990's and I believe he said it was a UHF scanner (I could be remembering incorrectly though).  Anyway he used to be able to pick up more channels than he can right now and was asking me why he can't get police/fire channels that he used to get.  I said it probably has to do with the new radio equipment the departments along with the fact that his scanner is old, but I am just guessing.  Is this the reason why he can no longer hear frequencies he once could?
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 6:22:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Departments have been switching to analog trunking systems for years.  In addition, there are now digital trunking systems for larger departments and cities.

Short answer is he probably needs a newer scanner.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 6:23:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Most agencies have been switching from old frequencies as technology has changed and their old frequencies were sold by the Feds for other uses.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 6:24:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I had a uncle that had one..

Why do people listen to scanners any way? I dont get it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 6:26:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Dig around here for his area, it'll help you determine what he'd need these days.
www.radioreference.com/
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 6:27:40 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

So you know whats going on?
They can be rather interesting.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 6:28:26 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Probably because they feel like it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 6:29:09 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Departments have been switching to analog trunking systems for years.  In addition, there are now digital trunking systems for larger departments and cities.

Short answer is he probably needs a newer scanner.

+1

Thats it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 6:29:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Same reason everybody stands outside their house when the police are at the neighbors house.  We're nosey.

Takes awhile to get used to the way cops talk on the radio before you can understand whats going on.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 6:30:19 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

In a large urban area, they are not too useful in my opinion.

In a rural area with limited local radio and TV coverage, I would almost consider one to be a must.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 6:32:14 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I pull my hacked ham out when I want to know why I'm sitting in traffic, where the police/fire are going or what to really expect at work when trauma's are being scooped up to come to the ED.
My local PD has scrambled their freqs....
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 6:32:19 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In a large urban area, they are not too useful in my opinion.

In a rural area with limited local radio and TV coverage, I would almost consider one to be a must.  

The urban areas are where you get the best entertainment.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 7:19:04 AM EDT
[#12]
One word.

Trunking.

New scanner will solve this problem.

-Mark.

Link Posted: 7/23/2008 7:20:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Go to this database, click on the state of interest, and see what frequencies and system types are in use in that area.

www.radioreference.com/apps/db/

CJ
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top