Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/25/2004 4:24:08 AM EDT

I have started running at work with my coworkers before our shift begins.  I was a halfway decent runner several years ago, but haven't run regularly in a long time.  

What I need to know is how to increase my lung capacity.  I suspect I have large lungs for a guy my size, because even at my skinniest, I have a significant barrel chest, and very broad shoulders.  

So, other than the actual running, what can I do to increase lung capacity?  Would practicing holding my breath help?  What else?

Link Posted: 12/25/2004 4:38:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Damn, I thought this post would be about boob jobs, maybe even with pics...
Link Posted: 12/26/2004 4:00:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Just run.  Jogging won't do it though.  You have to be pushing yourself up to the anerobic limit for periods then pulling back a little.  Your whole cardiovascular system will increase production.
Link Posted: 12/26/2004 4:40:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Go diving, and hold your breath on the way up

(for those who do not find this obvious: DO NOT DO THIS. IT CAN BE FATAL)
Link Posted: 12/26/2004 11:15:32 PM EDT
[#4]
swimming
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 3:43:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Play the saxaphone.  I did for 5 years and I have asthma. My docotor was amazed that I could ace all the lung/breathing tests he gave me. Said I did better than most non-asthmatics...

Plus...you can impress people by playing the sax solo from "Hungry like the Wolf"...headbang.gif
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 12:56:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's a link I found helpful:

Breathing Techniques and Tips

Link Posted: 12/30/2004 10:02:39 AM EDT
[#7]
When walking or running practice getting as many footfalls into each breath as possible.

In other words breathe in for 5 steps, breathe out for 5 steps, etc and gradually increase.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 1:27:33 AM EDT
[#8]
They make gadgets that supposedly help you with this. Do a search in yahoo for "increased lung capacity"

S.O.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 11:45:43 AM EDT
[#9]
practice holding breath would help slightly.  It is best to hold your breathe while doing a physical activity.  The best would be in a pool, but I guess you could trying it out of water too.

In all actuallity you won't really increase your capacity, but the quality of your breathing.  More bang for your buck in a sense.

Some other facts that might not be relavant is that the pain you get from holding your breath is caused from cardon dioxide and not the lack of oxygen.    Back in dive school they taught use to hyperventilate ourselves if we needed to hold our breath long.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:34:03 AM EDT
[#10]
You can increase your lung capacity posting on this board.  Just take real deep breaths and hold them for as long as you can.  Time yourself for to track progress and for motivation.  Try beating your last time.

Running will also help some.

Nikkels
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:47:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Your lung capacity isn't nearly as important as your aerobic condition and your VO2 max. As you get in better shape, your body gets better at turning oxygen and stored nutrition into energy - you will literally start to expand your arteries in your lungs allowing you to take up more oxygen.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top