Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 7/21/2008 5:22:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/21/2008 5:24:53 PM EDT by thompsondd]
I have a friend who made a bad mistake when he was 17. For those of you who want to know, he beat the shit out of a guy with a baseball bat. He was prosecuted as an adult for felony assault and spent 5 years in the big house. It was a state (GA) felony, not a Federal one; not that that makes a lot of difference in this case.

He is now 33. He has learned from his mistakes. He has his life turned around. Married. Two kids. Works his ass off. He is an AC guy for a large manufacturing facility. On the weekends, he bar backs at a dive bar we frequent on occasion just because it's close to home. He is probably one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. I trust him with my back when we are out (*found that out one of the first nights we were out). He knows I have his as well.

I know he is a felon. He knows it too. I know he isn't allowed to OWN a firearm.

We were out not too long ago and I mentioned my carry permit. He asked if I had one with me. We were at the bar, so I told him that I wasn't allowed to bring it in, but that it was in the truck. Neither of us were drinking. I was the DD that night.

Needless to say, he about shit himself.

He says he isn't allowed to even be NEAR them.

Its my gun. It's my truck. I have a CCW permit.

I have never really thought about it before.

I don't want to put him in a position of ever getting in any trouble. He's a good guy who made some mistakes, but I can honestly say he is doing the right thing and the best he can with the Scarlet "F" attached to his chest.

So, does anyone know what the real deal is?????

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:24:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By thompsondd:
I have a friend who made a bad mistake when he was 17. For those of you who want to know, he beat the shit out of a guy with a baseball bat. He was prosecuted as an adult for felony assault and spent 5 years in the big house.

You didn't say WHY he did it
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:25:10 PM EDT
On one hand, I'd say the phrase "once a criminal, always a criminal" holds true for 90% of the convicts out there. However, I know there is that 10% that turns their life around, has paid their debt to society, and should be restored all that was removed during incarceration.

I'm torn I suppose. On one hand, logic tells me that most convicts will repeat their actions and shouldn't have access to a firearm (even though I'm sure they can get them illicitly easy enough). The other Constitutionalist/idealist side of me says that inalienable rights apply to everyone regardless.

I'm sure this is the dilemma with most...
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:25:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 22bad:

I have a friend who made a bad mistake when he was 17. For those of you who want to know, he beat the shit out of a guy with a baseball bat. He was prosecuted as an adult for felony assault and spent 5 years in the big house.

Because the other guy deserved it????

I don't know why. It isn't something he brings up and I am not going to ask him.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:29:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/21/2008 5:30:15 PM EDT by thompsondd]

Originally Posted By evo462:
On one hand, I'd say the phrase "once a criminal, always a criminal" holds true for 90% of the convicts out there. However, I know there is that 10% that turns their life around, has paid their debt to society, and should be restored all that was removed during incarceration.

I'm torn I suppose. On one hand, logic tells me that most convicts will repeat their actions and shouldn't have access to a firearm (even though I'm sure they can get them illicitly easy enough). The other Constitutionalist/idealist side of me says that inalienable rights apply to everyone regardless.

I'm sure this is the dilemma with most...

It isn't so much that he has 'access' to it as he is just in the same auto where one is stored.

It isn't like I am loaning it to him.

I mean, is it any different if I were legally carrying in a store and he just happened to be with me.

What if he were at my house? He and his wife and kids are here every other weekend or so.

What if I didn't know he was a felon and/or he didn't know I had firearms?????

I would never jeopardize what he has worked for. This issue came up the last time we were out. He and his family are on vacation currently, so they were around this past weekend.

I don't want to surrender my legal rights to keep him safe, but I will until I know for sure that I am not putting him in danger of more trouble.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:32:46 PM EDT
Hes good as long as you maintain POSITIVE possession of the firearm. (IE on your person.) If it is under his seat, in the glove box, in the center console, technically it can be construed for him to have possession of the firearm.

On the other hand, he can petition the courts for the restoration of his civil rights. It varies from state to state, but usually 10-15 years after completing a sentence for the felony with no further violations they will restore the felon's civil rights, including ability to vote and to own/possess a firearm.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:34:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JSteensen:
Hes good as long as you maintain POSITIVE possession of the firearm. (IE on your person.) If it is under his seat, in the glove box, in the center console, technically it can be construed for him to have possession of the firearm.

On the other hand, he can petition the courts for the restoration of his civil rights. It varies from state to state, but usually 10-15 years after completing a sentence for the felony with no further violations they will restore the felon's civil rights, including ability to vote and to own/possess a firearm.

Thank you.

I think he is contemplating trying to have his record expunged (or whatever you call the process - 'rights restored').
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:36:54 PM EDT
Isn't there a talk show host(Gordon Liddy?)that is a felon
but, his wife has a safe full of firearms in their bedroom?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:45:32 PM EDT

Thank you.

I think he is contemplating trying to have his record expunged (or whatever you call the process - 'rights restored').

It is a lengthy process but one (from the type of person he sounds like now) would benefit greatly from. Typically past behavior is a indicator of future behavior, but there are those that well and truly have learned from and moved past criminal behavior that deserve it.

It may be uncomfortable for you while driving, but until he does get the charged expunged/his rights restored, keep that weapon on you. (If able to while driving under your state's law.) Both for him...and to keep you from being charged as well.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:07:27 PM EDT

Thank you.

It is a lengthy process but one (from the type of person he sounds like now) would benefit greatly from. Typically past behavior is a indicator of future behavior, but there are those that well and truly have learned from and moved past criminal behavior that deserve it.

It may be uncomfortable for you while driving, but until he does get the charged expunged/his rights restored, keep that weapon on you. (If able to while driving under your state's law.) Both for him...and to keep you from being charged as well.

Thanks again.

I value my friends based on the quality of their character, not the mistakes of their past.

I have made some mistakes myself, though no felonies. At least no convictions anyway.

He's a good guy. I wish I knew 100 more like him.

I could care less and do without all the "look at me, I make $$$, live in a nnnn sq ft house, drive a foreign import sports car, have a boat on the lake, ride Harleys on the weekend for fun, but have NO BALLS, GUTS, or CHARACTER" type people that seem to take up more and more room in this world.

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:26:39 AM EDT
bump for the day crew.

still interested in what others have to say...................

thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:41:21 AM EDT
I try not to blame people for their mistakes, I only ask that they pay for them. Who cares WHY he committed his violent felony, it only matters that he did.

Give this guy some guns....nah.

If/when something happens, we will all be flaming the thread about the convicted felon who had a gun in the first place, etc.

If he turned his life around, that's awesome. That's what youre supposed to do.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:43:16 AM EDT

Originally Posted By dc306:
I try not to blame people for their mistakes, I only ask that they pay for them. Who cares WHY he committed his violent felony, it only matters that he did.

If/when something happens, we will all be flaming the thread about the convicted felon who had a gun in the first place, etc.

No one is asking for him to be given guns.......................
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:43:42 AM EDT

I would bet that you would get a more informed response if you posted your question here:

www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=1&f=76
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:48:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/22/2008 4:49:48 AM EDT by ultramagbrion]
He should file to get his rights back.......expunged might be asking for too much,even though technically he was a minor.

Taggage for the baggage
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:49:53 AM EDT

I don't know why. It isn't something he brings up and I am not going to ask him.

5 years, sounds more like attempted murder, than "beat up".
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:03:14 AM EDT

Originally Posted By OLY-M4gery:

It is really irrelevant to this thread.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:08:51 AM EDT

Then why did you bring it up?

Until he can admit what he did.....................................

Other people also asked about it.

He can't posses a firearm. That means exert physical or contructive control over it.

If you have physical control over the firearm, and he's there, say the cab of your truck, then he isn't in possesion of it.

It may be an issue, if you stop at the qwiki-mart, leave him and your gun, in the truck, alone together.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:48:30 AM EDT

Then why did you bring it up?

Until he can admit what he did.....................................

Other people also asked about it.

He can't posses a firearm. That means exert physical or contructive control over it.

If you have physical control over the firearm, and he's there, say the cab of your truck, then he isn't in possesion of it.

It may be an issue, if you stop at the qwiki-mart, leave him and your gun, in the truck, alone together.

I didn't bring it up. I replied to someone else asking. It is not mentioned in the original thread.

Until he can admit what he did?????????????

He has told me what he did, and what it cost him.

I know the personal toll it has taken on him. I have talked with him about it. I have heard the regret and how much he NEVER wants to be in that position again (which is the cause for the concern of this post to BEGIN WITH).

Unless you want to contribute something to the thread, please find another thread to hijack.

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:15:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/22/2008 7:16:40 AM EDT by OLY-M4gery]

I didn't bring it up. I replied to someone else asking. It is not mentioned in the original thread.

Until he can admit what he did?????????????

He has told me what he did, and what it cost him.

I know the personal toll it has taken on him. I have talked with him about it. I have heard the regret and how much he NEVER wants to be in that position again (which is the cause for the concern of this post to BEGIN WITH).

Unless you want to contribute something to the thread, please find another thread to hijack.

I'll post whatever is topical in whatever thread I want. If you don't like that, why don't you leave.

And FYI, re-read your original post where you minimze the whole attempted murder..........
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:51:25 AM EDT
A friend of my cousin was hitch-hiking on Interstate 4 one night and some guy pulled over to give him a ride. When they pulled back onto the Interstate, a Trooper stopped him thinking car trouble.

It turns out the driver was drunk, which gave the Trooper cause to search his vehicle. The driver was arrested and a search found a pistol in the glove box. The passenger was a convicted felon and he was charged with possesion of a firearm by a convicted felon. He ended up being sentenced to 18 months in state prison.

Both of these guys had never met each other before and the passenger certainly knew nothing about the drivers pistol. That, in my opinion, is messed up.

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:59:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Scooter4736:
A friend of my cousin was hitch-hiking on Interstate 4 one night and some guy pulled over to give him a ride. When they pulled back onto the Interstate, a Trooper stopped him thinking car trouble.

It turns out the driver was drunk, which gave the Trooper cause to search his vehicle. The driver was arrested and a search found a pistol in the glove box. The passenger was a convicted felon and he was charged with possesion of a firearm by a convicted felon. He ended up being sentenced to 18 months in state prison.

Both of these guys had never met each other before and the passenger certainly knew nothing about the drivers pistol. That, in my opinion, is messed up.

That story is certainly more plausible than two criminals hanging out together and the DUI criminal says "Not my gun" to avoid another charge whereas his buddy says "Not my gun" because he's already a felon so the officer writes down that the gun was in an unlocked glove box immediately accessible to buddy #2 and the DA uses logic.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:22:57 AM EDT
I think once a person has paid their dues to society (i.e. prison time/probation), it should be over and done with. Making it illegal for a felon to own firearms or vote for their entire life is completely obsurd. I think the very minute a person completes their sentence, they should be able to load up their car with pistols, shotguns, rifles, etc.

This lifetime punishment bullshit sounds like something they would do in Iran....
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:36:45 AM EDT

Originally Posted By dc306:

No one is asking for him to be given guns.......................

I, for one, do think he should be given guns (allowed to buy them). If he hasn't paid his debt, I don't know who has.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:39:14 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 418cwc:
I think once a person has paid their dues to society (i.e. prison time/probation), it should be over and done with. Making it illegal for a felon to own firearms or vote for their entire life is completely obsurd. I think the very minute a person completes their sentence, they should be able to load up their car with pistols, shotguns, rifles, etc.

This lifetime punishment bullshit sounds like something they would do in Iran....

If you can't abide by the rules of society, you don't get the Rights that go along with being a member of that society.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:47:07 AM EDT

We were out not too long ago and I mentioned my carry permit. He asked if I had one with me. We were at the bar, so I told him that I wasn't allowed to bring it in, but that it was in the truck. Neither of us were drinking. I was the DD that night.

If you were not drinking, why could you not take a CCW into the bar? That does not make sense to me.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:47:26 AM EDT
You can most definitely carry near him, YOU have it not him.

As stated you cannot leave it under his seat or in the glove box. He shouldn't be in the car with firearms in it, unattended, or possibly if firearms are in it at all.

Now could you have a gun under YOUR seat, while driving and he is sitting in the passenger side ? Don't know, ask a lawyer. I would think it should be fine, but sometimes the law is screwy. On your person is golden though I wouldn't stop carrying.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:47:42 AM EDT

I know he is a felon. He knows it too. I know he isn't allowed to OWN POSSSESS a firearm.

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:48:35 AM EDT

Originally Posted By v-dawg:

If you were not drinking, why could you not take a CCW into the bar? That does not make sense to me.

Many states have made it illegal to enter a bar while carrying regardless if you consume any booze.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:50:31 AM EDT
My question is:

If he continues to be a danger to society, then keep him locked up. If he's paid his dues to society, then he should be eligible for gun ownership. I'd like to hear how this turns out. It's been long enough for him.

HH
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:51:27 AM EDT

Could be, but no way to know without getting the whole story.

Some places are harder on crime, and also in some places its who you know, or don't.

There is plenty of people who have gotten five years for felony assault ( without any intent to murder )

It may not be common, or be likely in your area, but it does happen.

Until we get the whole story, we'll never know.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:53:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/22/2008 8:58:17 AM EDT by Scooter4736]

Originally Posted By PFC-Demon:

Originally Posted By Scooter4736:

That story is certainly more plausible than two criminals hanging out together and the DUI criminal says "Not my gun" to avoid another charge whereas his buddy says "Not my gun" because he's already a felon so the officer writes down that the gun was in an unlocked glove box immediately accessible to buddy #2 and the DA uses logic.

Exactly. Although a felon, why should he spend time in prison for it? He had no idea the guy had a gun.

It makes no difference, ingnorance of the law is not a defense, along with many other stupid laws and regulations.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:53:18 AM EDT

Originally Posted By glock21guy:

Many states have made it illegal to enter a bar while carrying regardless if you consume any booze.

I am not a drinker, so I would not know for sure.

I was thinking arfcommers refused to enter establishments that did not permit CCW. I am disappointed. If I had to list the most dangerous places one might need a CCW a bar/ night club would probably be #1.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:27:07 AM EDT

If you can't abide by the rules of society, you don't get the Rights that go along with being a member of that society.

I am talking about poeple who broke the rules, got caught, and completed their sentence.

Why should the federal governement have the right to keep punishing them until they die, long after they have served time?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 10:04:44 AM EDT

Originally Posted By glock21guy:

I am not a drinker, so I would not know for sure.

I was thinking arfcommers refused to enter establishments that did not permit CCW. I am disappointed. If I had to list the most dangerous places one might need a CCW a bar/ night club would probably be #1.

In GA, it is illegal to carry into a bar where alcohol is served for consumption. We just got the right, effective July 1, to carry in restaurants that serve alcohol but get 50%+ of their revenue from food sales. Prior to July 1, we weren't allowed to carry ANYWHERE where alcohol was served for consumption. I could carry in a store that sold alcohol as long as I couldn't consume it there (such as supermarkets or convenience stores).

Now carrying while consuming alcohol yourself is a big no no anywhere anytime.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 10:11:05 AM EDT

I'll post whatever is topical in whatever thread I want. If you don't like that, why don't you leave.

And FYI, re-read your original post where you minimze the whole attempted murder..........

I didn't minimize anything. I DON'T KNOW the details and find it humorous that you seem to think that you do.

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 11:48:00 AM EDT
I didn't mean be GIVEN guns, that would be unfair to the rest of us who have to buy ours I meant about him getting his rights restored to be able to have a gun.

I might be bitter, I've been a cop for almost 15 years (minus 2 years whilst overseas recently) and can count on one hand the success stories of real rehabilitation. Is it sad to say it, for us to admit the truth, once a convict gets out, its usually just a matter of time before they violate. Check the recedicism (sp?) stats. I can usually tell within a few minutes of talking with someone if they served time, it's not the tatts or anything other than their attitude. They blame everybody in the world, but themselves, for the time they had to do.

As for your buddy, he sounds like a good family man now, I hope youre basing your character references to that on alot more than he'd back you up in a barfight, which it sounds like he showed he would do the first time you went out? To me, a guy turning his life around would be avoiding these types of situations at all costs.

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:08:41 PM EDT

And FYI, re-read your original post where you minimize the whole attempted murder..........

I didn't minimize anything. I DON'T KNOW the details and find it humorous that you seem to think that you do.

People get 5 years in prison for either several smaller crimes, aka career criminals, or a heinous crime.

5 years if he had a clean record, prior to that incident, is serious, serious, time. That wasn't a minor felony.

Based on years of experience in the criminal justice systems, of more than 1 state.

You can continue to keep your eyes shut, or you can think about what is being posted.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:44:15 PM EDT

I am talking about poeple who broke the rules, got caught, and completed their sentence.

Why should the federal governement have the right to keep punishing them until they die, long after they have served time?

I couldn't agree with your post more.

IMO the govt does this to keep the people that are most likely to rise up against governmental oppression from the very tools most conviently used to do so.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:29:13 PM EDT
If convicted felons are going to rise up against oppression, they aren't going to be dissuaded by any laws concerning gun ownership, etc.

After the AWB, how many guys robbed banks in California with those single-shot fold open AR15's?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:39:23 PM EDT
Okie Dokie, I am apparently the only GA LEO here tonight, so I will throw my .02$ in... Since you ARE in GA, and he IS in GA, the rest of these guys have no clue how the system works... To be frankly honest, if he's in the vehicle, and the gun is within arms reach of him, he technically can have possession. GA also has what's called the Cease Fire, which if he meets certain criteria during the course of investigations, he can look at 10 years mandatory FEDERAL time. Cease Fire works great for convicted bangers and thugs, but unfortunately can cover people like your friend there...

Also, as I dealt with earlier today, convicted felons that are on active probation can be revoked for having in their immediate vicinity weapons OR ammo... Just because I say can be, doesn't mean they will be, really depends on the officer; discretion as they call it... Advise him to seek counsel in regards to gaining his rights back. Find out to the T what the law states about his rights and what the law says about being in the vicinity of firearms. I would venture to say that if an officer has probable cause to deal with your buddy in the passenger seat, they most likely have probable cause to search the vehicle, leading them to the handgun (provided you haven't mentioned it prior).

Tell him good luck if he's going to try to get his rights back, I'm not sure 100% how that works, so it'd be interesting to know how it goes for him...
Top Top