Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/14/2008 1:56:38 PM EDT
Thread in GD about young girls getting their ears pierced. Poster and a couple others likened it to child abuse. I took offense to this as my ex and I both had our 2 girls ears pierced when they were still babies. What say the ladies of Arfcom. Opinions please.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 2:00:51 PM EDT
[#1]
You should add a poll

And it is not child abuse.

Sorry, not a lady of Arfcom.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 2:06:14 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You should add a poll

And it is not child abuse.

Sorry, not a lady of Arfcom.

I'm to computer illiterate to do that.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 2:33:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Child abuse?  That's extreme.

My opinion: they're not my ears, so it's not my right to poke holes in them for decorative purposes.    YMMV.

I figured she could have them pierced when she turned 5 *if* she wanted them and *if* she was mature enough to care for them (not take them out, sit still while I clean them, etc).  She started asking around 4, but I made her wait.  I took her to get them pierced the week of her fifth birthday.  It was her little right of passage.   The first of many, I'm sure.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 4:47:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Child abuse? Ear piercing is no more abusive than circumcision.

I had mine done when I was 6. Those of Italian heritage (and Spanish/Greek/Portuguese heritages, as well) often pierce the ears of their infant babies.
Anyone thinking it's abuse has no clue.

ETA: found the thread. The guy is an Obama man.
People with lobotomies just shouldn't post.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 4:57:33 PM EDT
[#5]
No more is it child abuse than giving your child braces so that their teeth are straight.

Some people just need something to complain about.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:01:34 PM EDT
[#6]
my mom waited until I was 13 and I made the decision to pierce my ears. Child Abuse?? that's a little extreme
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:42:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Abuse??

Not abuse.

However, I haven't done it with my young girls yet.  I will let them get their ears pierced if they want them, and when they are mature enough to take care of them themselves.

I didn't get mine pierced until I was 12.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:44:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks ladies for at least backing me up on it not being abuse. Seems my ex and I got it done earlier then most of you would have but it worked for us.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:24:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
my mom waited until I was 13 and I made the decision to pierce my ears. Child Abuse?? that's a little extreme

Same here.  Waited until 13 to make decision.  Would do the same with my own daughter, because they are her ears; however, wouldn't classify it as abuse any more than circumcision as mentioned above.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:58:20 PM EDT
[#10]
My parents did not think it was correct to put wholes in God's body.  

I got mine done at about 15 the lady I nanied for got them done for me.  I think that it should be the decision of the girl and also based on their maturity and ability to take care of their ears.

I will allow my daughter if when I have one to pierce her ears only if and when she wants them done if she can show me she is responsible enough to care for them.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:52:51 AM EDT
[#11]
My mom had mine done when I was in jr high.  My daughter I had hers done before she turned 6.  She wanted them and I was talked into it by my sister.

Peircing is no more child abuse than circumsision or braces.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:57:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Thread in GD about young girls getting their ears pierced. Poster and a couple others likened it to child abuse. I took offense to this as my ex and I both had our 2 girls ears pierced when they were still babies. What say the ladies of Arfcom. Opinions please.

My mom had the youngest of us 3 girls ears pierced at 3-6 months old b/c she was tired of having my sister Bryna in pink and people would still say What a pretty little boy you have! She got tired of it and if you do it young enough, they don't know they can tough their ears and infect them. YMMV and all that
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:02:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't think it is child abuse.  

Had mine done wihen I was about 10 - my mom said I had to be able to take care of
them myself.

My daughter got hers done when she was 8 years old.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:12:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I let my daughter make the choice to put them in when she wanted to - however, to each her own. I didn't feel it was my choice to make since they were her ears. YMMV
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top