Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2006 5:04:10 AM EDT
I wasn't sure where to put this question, so here goes...question about Olive Drab coloring for BDUs and gear versus the newer Coyote color.

I'm an old school guy, who grew up with OD and Woodland camo gear. But I'm wondering if it isn't time to change. My current gear is primarily OD color.

From reading here and there, I have discovered that it is generally thought that OD is great in the summer. Coyote seems like it'd be best in the winter, as long as there isn't much snow on the ground.

I'm in PA, near the MD border, so my area has mostly hardwood forests, with patches of evergreens and lots of open fields/farmland. It looks to me that OD/Woodland Camo would be best from about May - September, when there's lots of greenery. Whereas in the winter, OD/Woodland would stick out pretty badly with hardwood forest (leaves on the ground are brown naturally, plus lots of brownish ground cover - shrubs/stickerbushes, etc). Coyote looks like it'd blend in alot better from about October - April.

My question is, will Coyote blend in well in my environment the rest of the year (May - September)? I have three choices: stick with OD gear, get rid of it all and get all Coyote, or buy a second set of gear in Coyote. I can afford the second set of gear, but why spend the money if I don't have to, you know?

I'm not quite sure what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:10:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Coyote and OD both work in similar ways.  They are both medium value colors that will slightly take on the appearence of colors next to them (more green in a green environment, more brown in a brown environment).  IIRC, more Coyote was put into MARPAT than green because it was found that in most of the terrains they were looking at, there was not as much green in them as had been assumed
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:03:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I like coyote brown.  In my humble experience as a hunter (admittedly in the fall) brown/gray colors blend best.  You don't know camo until you watch a timberwolf disappear when he stands still.  One minute he's moving and you can see him, the next minute he holds still, and if you look away you can't find him again.  Same thing with deer, although their white bellies, tails and necks make them stand out a bit more.  Black bears, on the other hand, are easy to spot.  Avoid black!!  And blaze orange isn't good camo, either.  In case you were thinking of blaze orange.  
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:08:28 AM EDT
[#3]
+1 for C.B.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:28:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Coyote.

OD is okay too, but I think coyote works a little better. Especially here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top