Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2006 3:58:14 PM EDT
We have a deck that's about three feet high, and a friend is gradually working on a wheelchair ramp for me in his spare time.

So far he put in four posts, and we need one more put in. (Where the red X is).  The ramp entrance will be between posts 1 and 2, and then go onto the deck where it says "Remove this rail".

He's planning on having the ramp meet the deck level where post 3 goes across to the "X" new post.

My question is;

Would it work (and is it difficult) to have the deck level run out to the line from post 4 to the "X" new post?  I'm trying to make the incline a lower angle.

Thanks.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:27:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Wheelchair ramps should be built  on a 1/12 incline. 1" rise on a 12" run. If your deck is 36" higher than the sidewalk you need 36' of ramp. Anything less will be a hazard and difficult to push yourself up or down. It also needs to be 36" - 48" wide.

Info

Downloadable manual

I don't think that 4 posts are gonna be anywhere near enough for 36' of ramp. The one below is almost too narrow and not built to code, but it's better than nothing.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:43:15 PM EDT
[#2]
You need all the landing you can get, bisecting it at an angle is not a good idea.

And +1 on the need for lots of lineal feet of ramp.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:12:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Other advise... use ONLY treated lumber, am sure you know that.

Go to Home Depot or Lowes, and take a good look at the various brackes and braces by Simpson Strong-Tie.  You can build this without driving a nail, using only deck screws and drill driver.  And the ramp and handrails (the brackets are especially good for handrails) will be much more rigid, and stronger.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:47:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow! We'll be far from ADA compliant. We are using all pressure treated wood, and the posts were put about two feet deep in eight inch diameter sona(sp) tubes and filled in with concrete.

I'm mostly going to be using my 3-wheeled mobility scooter,  (I have a smaller one in the house), and leaving it on the deck, so I'm not as worried about the proper incline.  I'm looking at the angled transfer only because as planned the three foot rise would be done in sixty one inches instead of one hundred and twenty.  We're good on width though.
 I like the angle of the one pictured, but my scooter would never make those turns.  It would also put the price too high for us to do right now.

I measured the gap between posts;

1 to 2 = 53"
1 to 3 = 61"
3 to 4 = 59"
3 to the deck post = 94.5"
4 to the deck post = 95.5"
Between deck posts is 65.75"

I should have explained about the scooter when I first posted. Knowing that, does it change anyone's opinion on my initial questions?

EDIT--I'm getting all the supplies at Home Depot, so I'll check out those Simpson Strong-Ties.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:57:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Here's an actual picture. I strung some twine to show both positions of what I'm talking about.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top