Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2006 3:45:00 PM EDT
The ammo shortage thread got me thinking..
How much ammo is the average person using over there per week. Including practice and missions?
I have no idea how much trigger time they are getting and hoped someone here has first hand knowledge..
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:47:26 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
The ammo shortage thread got me thinking..
How much ammo is the average person using over there per week. Including practice and missions?
I have no idea how much trigger time they are getting and hoped someone here has first hand knowledge..
Thanks

The average person over there probably isn't shooting hardly at all.  Maybe just to zero their weapon here and there.

I work with guys who were deployed to Iraq for 8 months in the infantry and never once fired a round in combat.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:47:38 PM EDT
[#2]
depends on the mission and the person. 92S tend no to expend much ammo where as some 11B can easily expend 500 - 1000 rounds a week
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:49:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I would say very little ammo is shot in country, going to the range isn't all that common and unless your in contact or doing a EOF you don't go shooting for no reason.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:50:18 PM EDT
[#4]
well if you want to hear how much can get used sometimes listen to 9min 10 seconds of the first audio clip in my thread.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=434436
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:52:07 PM EDT
[#5]
In contact, all hell breaks loose but other than those times there isn't allot of shooting.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:53:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
In contact, all hell breaks loose but other than those times there isn't allot of shooting.

We did about 10 ranges in the 7 months I was there. Before change over we shot all our ammo becuase the incoming unit was bringing there own as well. We really wasted a ton of rounds before we left.

I dont know if that is typical, but I think we expended alot more ammo than grunts normally do in the rear.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:54:35 PM EDT
[#7]
On a related note, is everyone over there shooting M855? Or is M193 still being issued?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:58:40 PM EDT
[#8]
The unit I am ripping with hasn't done one range since they have been in country (they rip-ped when you were going home for 4-6.1).  The have had a couple of dozen EOFs and not been in a large fight like Al Jafar.  Also you were out in AA, and there more ranges out there, and more opportunities to get on them than those guys in a few other bases closer to Baghdad.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:59:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
On a related note, is everyone over there shooting M855? Or is M193 still being issued?

green tip is all I ever seen over there Im sure there is some M193 for the few A1s in use over there tough
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:06:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The unit I am ripping with hasn't done one range since they have been in country (they rip-ped when you were going home for 4-6.1).  The have had a couple of dozen EOFs and not been in a large fight like Al Jafar.  Also you were out in AA, and there more ranges out there, and more opportunities to get on them than those guys in a few other bases closer to Baghdad.

That makes sense.

We did most of our ranges when I was out at Camp Wolf, its in the middle of nowhere and so we could just shoot in all directions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top