Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/9/2005 12:01:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2005 12:20:36 PM EDT by MillerSHO]
I live right under the landing flight paths at the PDX airport here in Portland and yesterday 3 Military Cargo planes flew right over me that had probably the coolest engine sound I've ever heard come out of an aircraft.

I'm not on the up and up with Military Cargo planes so I don't know them by the look so I'm hoping you guys could help me out.

It was grey, had 4 LARGE jet engines and looked to be longer and even fatter then a C-130.

I had my window open in my computer room and I heard the strangest noise from far away and the closer it came, I realized it had to be a jet engined plane.

As it went over my house the engines were seriously singing to me, they didn't sound like any other plane and I've heard alot of planes living where I live.

Any ideas which model it could have been?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:03:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2005 12:04:40 PM EDT by numbers]
C-17 ?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:05:09 PM EDT
You heard the Rose.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:11:24 PM EDT
The C-5 Galaxy has a very distnctive sound.

A C-141 tends to have a high-pitched sound, but there are fewer of them in service these days.

The C-17 is a Stage III aircraft for noise abatement and isn't very loud for an airplane its size.

For a person who isn't familiar with them, they can resemble eachother in appearance. They all have four engines and a "T" tail.

A quick way to tell a C-17 is that it has a 9-foot tall winglet on each wingtip.

A C-141 has a fuselage cross-section similar to a C-130.

The C-5 is just huge, with a much fatter fuselage.

Stick around here and we'll make a spotter out of you one day.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:16:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2005 12:21:48 PM EDT by MillerSHO]
Crap I can say I don't know which one it was.

The high pitched "singing" of the engine is all I remember.

I will say that the last 2 did sound a bit different then the first one.

The first one either was a different plane then the last 2 or he was in the throttle more then the last 2.

I'll never forget the sound and would love for them to fly over my house anytme.

I don't think it was the C-17 in the picture. I don't remember the bottom being so fat and I don't remember the yellow on the tail.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:23:40 PM EDT
I love watching them, especially C-5s, on approach. You see it and you think, "Damn, that a big mo-fo." Then it gets closer and you think, "Big hell, that mo-fo is huge." Then it flies close and I get wood because we can build something so big and bad-ass. But hey, that's just me.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:24:17 PM EDT
The stripe on the tail varies depending on where they're based.

Ft Lewis/McChord is one of the C-17 bases, might have been from up thataway.

NTM
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:34:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2005 12:35:12 PM EDT by MillerSHO]
After looking at some pics on the web of the 3 planes Brohawk suggested it was the C-5.

It has the same grey I saw and I remembered the engines were hanging down off the wings and no so embedded into the wing like the C-17 pictured here in the thread.

I'm pretty sure I've seen or heard most of the military cargo jets in service in the last 10 years living in the area this was the first time I actually stopped what I was doing to go out figure what the hell was coming my way due to the engines having such an unusual sound.

Man I love this country and what we're capable of.

I wonder if the C-5's presence here in Portland has anything to do with what's going on down south?

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:36:13 PM EDT
this is the c-5 big ass plane

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:51:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MillerSHO:
It was grey, had 4 LARGE jet engines and looked to be longer and even fatter then a C-130.

Heh, that's like saying it looked like a gray Honda Civic with 4 tires, most of our cargo planes look like that! I bet it was a C5, the high-bypass turbofans make an incredible noise that sounds half-prop half-jet.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:55:17 PM EDT
That had to be a C-5. The have one of the most unique engine noises of anything in the inventory. It's tough to discribe, but once you've heard it you'll be able to pick it out every time.

You should hear the thing on takeoff, it's even more pronouced.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:55:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By KlubMarcus:

Heh, that's like saying it looked like a gray Honda Civic with 4 tires, most of our cargo planes look like that! I bet it was a C5, the high-bypass turbofans make an incredible noise that sounds half-prop half-jet.

I know I know.

But I figured it was enough to get a discussion going.

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:55:47 PM EDT
I used to work on C-5's... I loved the sound of that thing. (worked 141's too)

There is nothing "BIG" about a C-130, unless you park your C-150 next to it

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 3:18:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2005 3:19:41 PM EDT by MillerSHO]

Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:
That had to be a C-5. The have one of the most unique engine noises of anything in the inventory. It's tough to discribe, but once you've heard it you'll be able to pick it out every time.

Singing was the word I thought fit the best.

And Red, C-130 is probably the only cargo plane I could call out if I saw it, like I said I really don't know much about Military cargo planes but this C-5 does spark my interest.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 3:45:28 PM EDT

Singing was the word I thought fit the best. And Red, C-130 is probably the only cargo plane I could call out if I saw it, like I said I really don't know much about Military cargo planes but this C-5 does spark my interest.

www.militaryvideos.net/ has a video clip of a C-5 takeoff. It's part of the Balad Video Collection 2 .zip file. You must have a BitTorrent program to download it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:06:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ArmedAggie:
I love watching them, especially C-5s, on approach. You see it and you think, "Damn, that a big mo-fo." Then it gets closer and you think, "Big hell, that mo-fo is huge." Then it flies close and I get wood because we can build something so big and bad-ass. But hey, that's just me.

True, I'm a civilian C-5 mechanic and occasionally, while standing near the fwd pax door and looking back towards the tail, I'll think to myself "that is a big son of a bitch." Also its fun to climb up to the top of the tail (from the internal ladder). It's canted ribs/structure and angle-of-climb is disorienting.

The unique 138db and higher noise level comes from the "stage and a half " fan.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:21:40 PM EDT

Yep,the very old early 747s also had that sound,they have cowl inlet doors(so does the early 737s,and the old 707s too),wanna really hear something wild? Listen to a DC-8 50/61 start up,that howl is something you never forget.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:42:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MattyMattel:

Yep,the very old early 747s also had that sound,they have cowl inlet doors(so does the early 737s,and the old 707s too),wanna really hear something wild? Listen to a DC-8 50/61 start up,that howl is something you never forget.

NOTHING sounds like the C-5 at full howl. Just did a full TRT on numbers 1 and 4 yesterday. My job was to stand on the brakes in case we jumped chocks.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:50:34 PM EDT
Those old 747s with the "sucker doors" are long gone. Thats where that wierd singing howl comes from. USAF doesn't have to worry much about noise abatement.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:59:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MattyMattel:
Those old 747s with the "sucker doors" are long gone. Thats where that wierd singing howl comes from. USAF doesn't have to worry much about noise abatement.

You mean those spring-loaded doors that operate at ground idle? We have those. Our unique sound comes frome the first "half stage" fan.

The -135s have noise abatement qualites which are kind of neat: when leaning into the intake (not running of course) its like those phone booths fron the 80's, muffling the sound.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:24:34 PM EDT
United had some of those 737s from the late 1960s,they also had sucker doors. Another wierd sounding A/C was the old Convair CV-990. it had an aft-fan GE Cj-805,very strange sounding engine.(some of the Falcon 20 had a smaller version of an aft-fan).
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:40:22 PM EDT
C-5s are very cool. My stepdad was stationed at Ft. Carson in Colorado Springs Last year. I bought his truck from him, So I flew up there to pick it up.
They were unloading troops and cargo that were coming back from the sandbox, and he got me up into the cockpit of the C-5. The pilots let me wear their jackets and took a picture for me.

There is nothing quite like the sound and the sight of one of those things taking off or landing. They are just immense.

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:52:42 PM EDT
Neighbor of my Grandpa was one of the designers of the GE engine on the C-5. An amazing A/C,the C-5 flew into Cincy-Lunken in the early 1970s.(the runway for Lunken is 6500 ft or so,a DC-9 looks huge there).
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:35:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By junker46:
True, I'm a civilian C-5 mechanic and occasionally, while standing near the fwd pax door and looking back towards the tail, I'll think to myself "that is a big son of a bitch." ...

It ain't called the FRED (Fucking Ridiculious Engineering/Economic Disaster) for no reason.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:55:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/12/2005 7:41:41 AM EDT by Cape_hunter]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:55:37 AM EDT

I don't think it was the C-17 in the picture. I don't remember the bottom being so fat and I don't remember the yellow on the tail.

The yellow tail stripe is Charleston AFB.

McChord AFB's is green.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:59:36 AM EDT
i can pick oput that low drone of a 130 anytime
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:34:41 AM EDT
Click here

You can go through all of the aircraft. Each one has a bunch of pictures. Should make it easier to determine if you see a few different pictures of each one.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:47:29 AM EDT

True, I'm a civilian C-5 mechanic and occasionally, while standing near the fwd pax door and looking back towards the tail, I'll think to myself "that is a big son of a bitch." ...

It ain't called the FRED (Fucking Ridiculious Engineering/Economic Disaster) for no reason.

No argument from me on that one.

Often, the biggest fan of a particular aircraft is someone who has never worked on it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:57:57 AM EDT
C-5 is loud but in a rather annoying way. The B1 is loud in a "wow, that aircraft has balls" kinda way....

And I think the KC10/DC10 has the neatest trash-hauler soundtrack. That gruff growl of the engines gives me a chubby.... RAWWWWWWWWWWWWR
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:00:45 AM EDT

No argument from me on that one.

Often, the biggest fan of a particular aircraft is someone who has never worked on it.

Practicing how to troubleshoot stuff in seven level school with the landing gear schematics was enough to tell me I never want to work on that thing.
Top Top