Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2011 6:05:52 PM EDT
My house and yard has many very large tall trees blocking my dishes view of the southern sky.  I have a very small window they are shooting through.   I would like to place the dishes on a pole on the South Western corner of my property that has an unobstructed view.  This would mean they would about 250 ft from the house, is it possible to run cables this far, and can I mount my DishNetwork and Wildblue dish on the same pole?
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 6:46:26 PM EDT
[#1]
From what I remember when I used to install Dish, the line can't exceed 140-150 ft. Since the receiver powers the LNB on the dish anything longer than 150 ft will have all kind of issues. Now there are line amplifiers that you can buy as well as using a stronger coax (RG11), but that can be pricey and there is still no guarantee it will work for a cable run that long. Is it possible to mount the dish on the middle of your roof? Or is your house completely shrouded by tree cover?
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 7:05:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
From what I remember when I used to install Dish, the line can't exceed 140-150 ft. Since the receiver powers the LNB on the dish anything longer than 150 ft will have all kind of issues. Now there are line amplifiers that you can buy as well as using a stronger coax (RG11), but that can be pricey and there is still no guarantee it will work for a cable run that long. Is it possible to mount the dish on the middle of your roof? Or is your house completely shrouded by tree cover?

Metal roof they wont mount it to metal.  Plus the really big tall trees are south of the house.  Much taller than the house.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 7:20:25 PM EDT
[#3]
You could use a long cable run but you would need to use high quality coax cable and install a low noise amplifier near the antenna.  You will also need to run power to the amplifier.

All coax cable is lossy, which means that thermal noise will be generated throughout the run of cable.  Adding the amplifier near the antenna will increase the signal power, and therefore increase signal / noise power at your receiver.

Placing the amplifier at the other end of the coax run (opposite the antenna end) will amplify signal + noise, and will not work.

Satellite systems do not have much excess signal to noise ratio, so you will have to do this.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 7:20:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Ya, I kind of figured you had a metal roof since you live in TX, so that is a no go. Sounds like a tough install. I did a few Wild Blue installs and I remember them being very sensitive even with a short cable run. If you can find a clear line of sight by trimming some trees a pole mount is possible, but with a HD dish and WB on the pole will be very heavy. If you can work it out and plan on doing it yourself. Make sure you have a very sturdy/level pole. The HD polar plate from what I remember is gonna be smaller than the WB by about .5". So get a pole to fit the HD dish. Then you will need a bracket or some kind of rig for the WB.

Just curious was the installer Southern Star? Also, did they leave all the dish equip or did they tell you it couldn't be done and rescheduled/canceled your work order?
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 7:57:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Ya, I kind of figured you had a metal roof since you live in TX, so that is a no go. Sounds like a tough install. I did a few Wild Blue installs and I remember them being very sensitive even with a short cable run. If you can find a clear line of sight by trimming some trees a pole mount is possible, but with a HD dish and WB on the pole will be very heavy. If you can work it out and plan on doing it yourself. Make sure you have a very sturdy/level pole. The HD polar plate from what I remember is gonna be smaller than the WB by about .5". So get a pole to fit the HD dish. Then you will need a bracket or some kind of rig for the WB.

Just curious was the installer Southern Star? Also, did they leave all the dish equip or did they tell you it couldn't be done and rescheduled/canceled your work order?

Direct Tv installed it.  It works now, but it will be an issue in the future + I am not happy with its location or how it is mounted.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:10:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Direct Tv installed it.  It works now, but it will be an issue in the future + I am not happy with its location or how it is mounted.
How is the signal strength? Pics?  

Once they install and you sign the paperwork it could be complicated/pricey to change things, but I am here to help.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:16:45 PM EDT
[#7]
We have Wildblue/Dish, when they installed ours, they said they cant be mounted on the same pole, had to put 2 in. I dont know about the distance issue.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:31:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

How is the signal strength? Pics?  
Once they install and you sign the paperwork it could be complicated/pricey to change things, but I am here to help.

I may be contacting you later on, everything is fine now but I want to move it.  I am fully capable of doing all the install, its getting it pointed properly that  I worry about.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:32:35 PM EDT
[#9]
The WildBlue dish will absolutely not work from that distance. Max is <150' IIRC.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top