Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2005 3:28:16 PM EDT
I live in a college town and there are people here from all over the world. There are quite a few arabs, Pakistanis, and Africans, many of them muslim. A very small percentage of the muslim men wear the long, dress-like robes. What is the significance of this attire? Is it worn by followers of a certain type of Islam or those from a specific nation?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:30:37 PM EDT
[#1]
It's just their style.  Nothing political about it
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:33:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It's just their style.  Nothing political about it

+1
Just like the Jews you see wearing black hats and black suits.
Cultural not religious.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:38:33 PM EDT
[#3]
It is easier to hide bombs in a dress.

- BG
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:03:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:05:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
img299.imageshack.us/img299/6750/learnaboutislam4gs4gy.jpg

The man asked a straight forward question jackass... if you have nothing to contribute to the question, STFU.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:40:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
img299.imageshack.us/img299/6750/learnaboutislam4gs4gy.jpg

The man asked a straight forward question jackass... if you have nothing to contribute to the question, STFU.

He gave a straight foward answer.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:43:58 PM EDT
[#7]
The galibaya is actually quite comfortable in the desert heat. It covers the whole body but is lightweight and breathes well. I have one that I wear when I'm "over there". It's not a Muslim thing, it's an Arab thing. Same with the kefiyeh, the traditional Arab headdress. Very comfortable, very practical.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top