Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2005 9:51:27 AM EDT
Anyone out there have a Luminox watch? (with the tritium hands & hour markings)

I got one recently and the tritium doesn't seem particularly bright, about equal to a conventional watch (held under a bright light to charge the glow in the dark markings) in a darkened room. Additionally, the 12 o'clock trtium marking (yellow) seems dimmer than the others (green)

Is this normal for Luminox watches? For some reason I was under the impression that they were suposed to be a bunch brighter than regular watches.

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:54:56 AM EDT
I have the S&W titanium version. It is bright enough to see in the dark if you are looking, but pale enough to not scream "hey, look over here!" - I like it that way. On mine the 12 o'clock is orange where the rest are green.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:57:09 AM EDT
Tritium is an isotope of hydrogen (H3) and has a half-life of just over twelve years, meaning you have 1/2 of the original activity decayed at half-life.  

If your watch is used or has been sitting on the shelf for a couple of years, you will have a visible difference in intensity as compared to a new watch.  Not sure about Luminox watches, but Trijicon sights are stamped with a date code indicating the year the tritium vials were sealed.

Would be good to know the date of service of your vials (or "lamps" as they are sometimes called).  If they are new issue it might be worth contacting the manufacturer to see if there is a problem.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:57:48 AM EDT
The one I have is very bright even after 12 years. In fact, you could almost read by it if you held the watch face against the paper and tilted one side up off the page.

It sounds like you might have gotten a bad one or something.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 10:23:06 AM EDT
I've had several of these. I think the other thing that can affect the brightness is exposure to sunlight. I can't back this up with nuke chemistry theory, but I had one that saw a lot of sun exposure, and it was definitley darker than my others.

I really like those watches until I dropped mine in the shower. It landed face down and the crystal completly shattered. WTF? Navy Seals watch and you can't drop it in the shower??!!

So I'm back to the trusty G-Shock. That is a tank, though not as sexy as the Luminox.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 10:26:42 AM EDT
A buddy of mine and I both have Luminoxes. When he first got his he told me he was able to "shine" it on stuff and see his way around in the dark.

Mine is noticeably darker but I still put it on the nightstand so I can tell what time it is at night.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 10:35:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/12/2005 10:37:08 AM EDT by Merrell]
This one won't light anything up, even held right next to it in the dark...

ETA: called their service center and they said if lights are not up to spec they would replace... don't know if I'm crazy about having a new watch torn apart though
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 10:59:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TheNorm:
I really like those watches until I dropped mine in the shower. It landed face down and the crystal completly shattered. WTF? Navy Seals watch and you can't drop it in the shower??!!

I've had mine for about 4 years (the Titanium version) and I've dropped it numerous times in the shower and on my tile floor with nary a scratch.  This is the first watch I've owned that I haven't been able to scratch the crystal.....YMMV, obviously.

TheNorm: I'm not discrediting your story, just offering another experience.

IMHO....if I had to do it over again I would have a got a Marathon SAR or TSAR now.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:01:47 AM EDT
ummm, on a bright sunny day, they aren't bright at all. on a clear night with no moon, they're a frigging beacon! seriously though, on a dead dark night out in the field, i could read a map by mine easily.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:01:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Merrell:
This one won't light anything up, even held right next to it in the dark...

ETA: called their service center and they said if lights are not up to spec they would replace... don't know if I'm crazy about having a new watch torn apart though

Something is definitely wrong then. The one I had was almost like a weak flashlight when it was brand new. Even after 12 years it still can light things up pretty well, but it needs to be held up close.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:49:58 AM EDT
Mine (original SEAL dive model) is just as bright as it was when it was new 5 years ago, and that's freaking BRIGHT.  It's every bit as bright as the night-sights on my TRP.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:52:58 AM EDT
Mine is 6 years old and bright enough for me to read with it if I hold it close to the paper, it was almost too bright when I first got it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:00:10 PM EDT
The one I had (before I got rid of it) was extremely bright and could have been used it as a light in a total darkness situation. The brightness was the best quality of that watch.

There shouldn't be a question of the brightness of your Luminox. If it's dull enough where you're questioning things then you have a bad one, either it's a knock-off or it's been sitting on a shelf for a half life.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:09:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/12/2005 12:12:13 PM EDT by TacticalStrat]
I have a chronograph Luminox (can't remember the model). It's very very bright.....like multitudes brighter than my other watches that have glowing numbers and hands. I have no problem at all seeing exactly what time it is at a glance while in a movie theater. It's so bright, when I lay in my bed at night, I see a ball of light around the Luminox as it sits on my dresser across the bedroom.

Luminox guarantees the glow for 10 years but they claim it glows for 25 years and is 100X brighter than a conventional watch:Link
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:05:59 PM EDT
Place where I bought them is going to sort through their stock to see if others are dim (or if there is a really bright one in the lot) and will do an exchange, else may send it of to the service center and hopefully they will install brandy-new tubes...

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:11:17 PM EDT
Merrell, they will most likley send you a new watch rather than repair the old one.

Ops
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:13:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By macman37:
A buddy of mine and I both have Luminoxes. When he first got his he told me he was able to "shine" it on stuff and see his way around in the dark.

Yea, the new ones are great for lighting a way to your bathroom during the night.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:17:24 PM EDT
For cheap watches, Timex 'Indiglo' watches are excellent.  Sure it uses the battery, but unless yo plan to stare at your watch for extened periods of time with the light on, it won't really be a factor.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:21:51 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:40:53 PM EDT
I've met many Seals, none of them were wearing these watches.  Instead mopst wear this big digital ype that has a compass and a bunch of other functions.  I forget the manufacturer but a few of them told me they were issue items..  i'll get more details when I haul the next bunch.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:48:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/12/2005 8:50:32 PM EDT by gmtmaster]

Originally Posted By Big_Bear:
My Luminox is still bright 5 years later. Tritium doesn't have to be charged under a bright light, same as night sights. Lotsa fakes out there. Maybe you got a fake Luminox?

Finally someone got it.. You dont charge tritium like you do luminova.. Tritium is "on" all of the time.. In low light, after your eyes adjust to the dark, you will be able to see it fairly well.. You can expect tritium to last 10-12 yrs.. Luminova is a different story.. Luminova has to be charged, and lights up like a cheap Burger King toy.. Its life is indefinite, and does not patina, or change color, like tritium does..

My GMT Master came with a tritium dial, Rolex replaced it with a luminova dial  Very bright if you charge it.. I have a Fortis B42 that has a tritium dial, very dim until your eves adjust.. Easy to see in total darkness.. And doesnt need to be charged..
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:56:46 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 3:42:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/13/2005 3:42:39 AM EDT by PBIR]
Who said you have to charge tritium? I'm pretty sure we all understand that.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 4:17:57 AM EDT

Originally Posted By PBIR:

Yup. The original "charging" comment was in reference to another (non-tritium) watch used for comparison to the Luminox.

Am guessing that Luminox' claim to be "100 times" brighter is when compared to a "charged" (held under a bright light) non-tritium watch.

Link Posted: 10/13/2005 5:11:56 AM EDT

Originally Posted By PBIR:

Thank you for clearing that up.. Ive been a WIS for  a long time and was trying to be helpful.. We all are supposed to be learning something here right?? For someone who clicked this thread and might invest in something nice down the road, maybe my info might help just a tad...

Please excuse my wanting to help...
Top Top