Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2004 11:20:06 AM EDT
If one were placed in a fire or some how ended up in a fire do to an accident of some type, about how ling before the grenade detonates?

Also I’m I correct to assume that if you put two or more grenades together in a group and pull the pin on one the rest will detonate from the blast of the first one.

ETA: Thanks for looking.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:20:49 AM EDT
[#1]

If one were placed in a fire or some how ended up in a fire do to an accident of some type, about how ling before the grenade detonates?

I don't know, but I wouldnt' stick around to find out!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:22:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Depends on the intensity of the fire, but I'd guess about 10 minutes in an oven would do it. Yes if you detonate one, the rest will follow.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:22:35 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Also is I’m I correct to assume that if you put two or more grenades together in a group and pull the pin on one the rest will detonate from the blast of the first one.

We tried getting them all to go at once so we wouldn't have to waste time turning them back in.  It didn't set them all off.  only moved them apart.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:23:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Since it is a high explosive used in the M67 frag grenade, I'm not sure if a fire is enough to make it go off. I think the explosion of one would be enough for the rest to go off.
PS they are fun to throw
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:25:04 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Well I guess that depends on how hot the fire is....but I  would not want to be the guy to stand around and find out.

Also is I’m I correct to assume that if you put two or more grenades together in a group and pull the pin on one the rest will detonate from the blast of the first one.

Dont be the Ass in assume, the one that blows could blow the other grenade away and it may or may not go off....Military style hand grenades that I used in the ARMY were pretty tuff, and could take a beating...

Remmember that most things in the military are made for a 17 year old highschool dropout to be able to use with minimal training in a emergency...
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:29:37 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

1.  Not long at all, a good hot fire about 5 minutes max.  Most HE doesn't like high heat  like TNT.

2.  Yes, the others will likely sympathetically detonate from the shockwave passing through them from the first detonation.  It works best if the grenades are touching, if not they will probably kickout if more than a few inches away.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:31:20 AM EDT
[#7]
That's a nice... cigar..!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:33:05 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
That's a nice... cigar..!

wonder if it was Marinated  
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:33:57 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

1.  Not long at all, a good hot fire about 5 minutes max.  Most HE doesn't like high heat  like TNT.

2.  Yes, the others will likely sympathetically detonate from the shockwave passing through them from the first detonation.  It works best if the grenades are touching, if not they will probably kickout if more than a few inches away.

That sound logical.

Another question to add.  How is the HE added to the metal casting of the grenade?  

Does the grenade "shell" come in two parts and attached together with the HE added or is it added through the hole where the fuse is attached?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:34:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:34:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Reading the other replys it seems you asked a question.  Now how did I miss that and what was your question.?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:34:39 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If his name is right I would trust this guy to know
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:35:25 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm sorry...what were you saying?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:35:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:36:14 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Better put a BOTD warning on this thread, bad things could happen otherwise.

Already there.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:39:18 AM EDT
[#16]
I think the HE is added through the hole. If I remember correctly the grenades are cast as two havles and have casting marks but the HE is put in through the same hole as the fuse/pin
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:39:34 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats sound logical.

Another question to add.  How is the HE added to the metal casting of the grenade?  

Does the grenade "shell" come in two parts and attached together with the HE added or is it added through the hole where the fuse is attached?

Usually it is either poured in a liquid form or flaked explosive filler is added.  A space is left so the booster end of the fuze may extend into the body of the grenade.   The grenade body and fuze are usually separate pieces but this is not always the case, there are hundreds of different grenades that have been made over the years throughout the world.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:43:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:44:36 AM EDT
[#19]
sry, what were you saying,
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:47:32 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Cool beans, I wasn't trying to be a asshole, just don't want to see any body get in trouble for little things.

Who me. Trouble.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:54:29 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats sound logical.

Usually it is either poured in a liquid form or flaked explosive filler is added.  A space is left so the booster end of the fuze may extend into the body of the grenade.   The grenade body and fuze are usually separate pieces but this is not always the case, there are hundreds of different grenades that have been made over the years throughout the world.

Now for the shell.  as far as the fragmentaion types go.  Does the familure pineapple shape or the smooth side ave any advatage over the other as fare as fragmintaion goes or is this a matter of cosmetics?  IIRC the old german potato mashers wher nothing but a fancey pipe bomb with few framentation parts verses the one made by th U.S.A.

Also too if the law changed (not) and us civilians could purchase them.  Can the fuse be used for anything else if it was removed from the grenade.?  Liek say a detenatore for another explosive package or are they made specific for the gredade it is mated to?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:14:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Hey where are the other BOTD pics?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:20:36 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Now for the shell.  as far as the fragmentaion types go.  Does the familure pineapple shape or the smooth side ave any advatage over the other as fare as fragmintaion goes or is this a matter of cosmetics?  IIRC the old german potato mashers wher nothing but a fancey pipe bomb with few framentation parts verses the one made by th U.S.A.

Also too if the law changed (not) and us civilians could purchase them.  Can the fuse be used for anything else if it was removed from the grenade.?  Liek say a detenatore for another explosive package or are they made specific for the gredade it is mated to?

Well, the "Pineapple Grenades produce big pieces of frag but less frag means less chances of killing an enemy.

The so-called smooth grenade, they are only smooth on the outside.  They typically have frag matrix in the inside so they burst into many small pieces, a good example of this is the M67 frag grenade.  Or they may contain wire coil as is the case with the M61 frag grenade.

Civilians can own De-milled grenades but if you plug the de-milling hole IIRC the BATFE will consider it a destructive device again and as we all know they are pricks.  The fuze can be used for other things like screwing into  M18A1 Clamore so you can hook a trip wire on it. (I love Claymores)  Possession of a live grenade fuze is IIRC a felony also as it is a destructive device.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:34:31 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Well, the "Pineapple Grenades produce big pieces of frag but less frag means less chances of killing an enemy.

The so-called smooth grenade, they are only smooth on the outside.  They typically have frag matrix in the inside so they burst into many small pieces, a good example of this is the M67 frag grenade.  Or they may contain wire coil as is the case with the M61 frag grenade.

Civilians can own De-milled grenades but if you plug the de-milling hole IIRC the BATFE will consider it a destructive device again and as we all know they are pricks.  The fuze can be used for other things like screwing into  M18A1 Clamore so you can hook a trip wire on it. (I love Claymores)  Possession of a live grenade fuze is IIRC a felony also as it is a destructive device.

What was the fragmentation size diffrence between the M67 and M61?  Did the wire coil make smaller pieces or was this a matter of cost savings during production?

Not that I'm going to do anything illegale.  But can the fuse be used for something like a stick of dynomite or is this not doable do to the differing methods of making boom boom.

Where is the hole located on the demilled grenade?  I never had the chance to inspecte one.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:42:54 PM EDT
[#25]
I only clicked on this topic to see the pic
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:48:29 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What was the fragmentation size diffrence between the M67 and M61?  Did the wire coil make smaller pieces or was this a matter of cost savings during production?

Not that I'm going to do anything illegale.  But can the fuse be used for something like a stick of dynomite or is this not doable do to the differing methods of making boom boom.

Where is the hole located on the demilled grenade?  I never had the chance to inspecte one.

The demill hole is usually on the bottom of the grenade so one can make them a paperweight without the hole showing.

The M61 produces thousands of bits of wire frag but the M67 replaced it for reasons I believe that the M67 was more lethal.  I don't think cost was issue as much as it being more lethal.

Well if the fuze's booster can high-order TNT or a Comp-B HE filler, it will easily set off dynamite.  I have seen more than a few hands and fingers removed by the fuzes as well.

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:50:34 PM EDT
[#27]
The demilled grenade I had years ago had a hole in the bottom about 3/4" in dia. The fuse was a solid fake plastic piece with a removeable spoon and pin.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:59:58 PM EDT
[#28]
I have no idea... I am just here for the pics.

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:00:09 PM EDT
[#29]
eodtech2000

Thanks for your informative answers.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:22:43 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I have no idea... I am just here for the pics.

home.att.net/~shockwave03/00000001.jpg

Nice "Grenades"!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top