Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2005 10:28:32 PM EDT
My friend says Chevy truck door hinges are glued and not bolted or welded. Can anyone with more knowledge on this shed some light for me. I've already tried to google some information but cant come up with anything. If there is also any online documentation on this, it would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:39:55 PM EDT
[#1]
My 2004 Silverado door hinges are all bolted and pinned together.

They're also much better designed than the old GM hinges.

Anything about pre-98 or so ends up suffering from what we like to call 'GM Door.'

You open the door, and it immediately sinks about two inches.

Other brands have this, but it seems to be most commone amongst older GMs.  I dunno what sort of  paste and staples they made them out of back then.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:41:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Their welded, your friend is seeing the seam sealer. This is chevys dumest way to ever to save money
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:57:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Their welded, your friend is seeing the seam sealer. This is chevys dumest way to ever to save money

+1
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:13:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Their welded, your friend is seeing the seam sealer. This is chevys dumest way to ever to save moneyhr

trust me, he know what he's talking about
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:35:18 AM EDT
[#5]
My truck is developing a bad case of GM door.  It's a 90.  Is that fixable easily or am I looking at a big $$ at the body shop?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:52:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Where are the welds accessed from?  My 2 y.o. neice rolled the truck out the driveway w/o the keys in the ignition and folded the pass. door to the front fender.  I want to replace the hinges for him, but havent't found the actual welds.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:59:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Had a Jeep Cherokee Sport that had a major issue of door sink but after it was rewelded it was OK.

My 1999 Blazer had some door sink but nothing big.  My Impala has zero issues.  Maybe its just the trucks?!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:03:47 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
My truck is developing a bad case of GM door.  It's a 90.  Is that fixable easily or am I looking at a big $$ at the body shop?

All you need to do is knock out the pins and replace the bushings. It is not rocket science.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:04:58 AM EDT
[#9]
If its just the hinge pins are wallowed out there is a repair kit. The kit comes with new bushings and pin, you can pick it up at most part stores. Bodyshop wil put it in or you can do it yourself
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:14:03 AM EDT
[#10]
The fun part about replacing the bushings is the putting the detent? spring back in.  I'm sure there is a tool of somekind for such a task but I have never had the fortune of using one.  SPROING!!  

My poorman's way of putting the spring back in is to compress the spring in a vise and then wire it compressed.   Then force the spring back in the door thingy and cut the wires.  Not a perfect solution, but it works better than a couple prybars and scratched paint on the doorjam.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top