Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/18/2004 8:54:54 PM EDT
Lets say you can't afford to go out and purchase one before the ban goes into effect, Couldn't you just buy a striped single shot AR lower and register it as a .50 BMG? Then you pretty much have all the time you need to build one of the many .50 bmg kits on the market today. Will this work or does it already have to be assembled as a rifle?
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:50:04 PM EDT
Yes, there are some that are doing that right now.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:57:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Ratters:
Yes, there are some that are doing that right now.

Actually, I suspect their DOJ is on to this, and the manner in which a 50 BMG rifle is defined in the law makes this strategy kinda flimsy. I'll be happy if it works, though.....
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:10:12 AM EDT
Well, it is supposed to have them fall under the same system that assault weapon registration was under. You fill out the type and caliber. I don't think there will be anyone to check on whether the upper is already on it as it is not a serialized part. Not sure there is much the DOJ can do about it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:07:30 AM EDT
Can anyone out there clarify this?

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:16:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/19/2004 11:16:39 AM EDT by warlord]
I remember under the 1st Calif AWB, you could just register a slab of aluminum metal with an electric penciled serial number, you held the slab in your hand so that you can say that you took possesion of the reciever, and sent it back to the manufacturer for finishing. But, I THINK they closed that loop hole in the subsequent 2nd AWB, BUT they have had such a turnover in the legislature, the lawmakers(breakers?) may have forgotten about it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:38:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/19/2004 11:39:43 AM EDT by Dave_A]

Originally Posted By Wheelgunner:
Can anyone out there clarify this?


Basically, it depends on how registration is implemented...

Most places that have required gun registration do not require the gun to be shown in order to register it. After all, who would register a gun they do not posess, right?

So, they just have you fill out the form with the type & serial number of the gun...

In that case it will work, and since the 50 uppers are not 'firearms' under federal law, they would be legally purchasable for use on a registered lower (ala folks who registered ARs for the CA AWB)...

If they require you to show them the gun to register it, then you will have a problem...
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:30:29 PM EDT
You were not required to show the weapon under the previous bans. All you were requied to do was fill out the card with the make, serial number, and caliber of weapon. If I wanted a 50cal rifle I would buy a FAB lower and register it as a 50cal. I am an owner of an "assault weapon" lower AR receiver which is classified as an assault weapon I guess because I could throw it at you and poke out your eye with it.
Top Top