Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 10/25/2013 11:48:11 PM EST
It seems to me like most Battery chargers only allow you to charge batteries in pairs.

Now, let's say I have this problem....

Battery #1 has a charge of 5% of capacity.
Battery #2 has a charge of 30% of capacity....

Assuming I put them in the charger, and they charge at the same rate of time... wouldn't Battery #2 reach 100% and stop charging before battery #1 reaches it's full capacity? And since these chargers require *BOTH* batteries to be charging at the same time... wouldn't this mean that perpetually, when charged [AND USED] as pairs... battery #1 will always be at 75%?

In essence, this would lessen the battery life of the pair of batteries...

Then there's the "memory affect"... which would cause the other battery to "learn" a lesser capacity.

Am I correct in all my assumptions? It would explain why my rechargeable batteries seem to run out quickly.

If so... how do you avoid this? Seems one would have to have a charger that charges batteries as individual units and not in pairs... or are there other ways to keep your rechargeable batteries charging up to 100%?
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:51:16 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/25/2013 11:54:02 PM EST by shocktrp]
Electricity follows the path of least resistance.
The 5% battery would fill up to 30% & they would charge at the same time up to 100%.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:13:08 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/26/2013 12:15:03 AM EST by PatriotAr15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By shocktrp:
Electricity follows the path of least resistance.
The 5% battery would fill up to 30% & they would charge at the same time up to 100%.
View Quote
So what you're saying is that in reality, both batteries would be charge in such a way that they both reach the 100% point. The other battery would simply "charge up slower", allowing the lower capacity battery to "catch up"?

I guess I was wrong about my theory as to why my batteries have such a shitty capacity. I guess I'll be buying some Eneloops and hope they fare better than the ones I have.

ETA: Sorry if this was a stupid question. I just had no idea how battery charging works, and I have heard of battery chargers that charge batteries as single units rather than pairs... but they are EXPEN$IVE
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:39:01 AM EST
Look at the Nitecore i4 if you haven't seen it yet.

It can charge AA as singles but not AAA
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:48:04 AM EST
I'm guessing the batteries are being charged in series and that is why they will not charge one at a time. A charger that can charge individual cells would need another charging circuit, adding to the cost of the charger.

Top Top