Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2010 9:58:00 PM EDT
Going to make this short as possible.

A person was arrested and charged with Assault 4. The victim stated the person never touched them in any way. A month later the victim receives a phone call by an on-duty officer asking the victim that he needs to speak with them and asks where they are, what are they doing, and wants to meet with that person at their residence to talk about a change of court date but wouldn't divulge information as to why the officer needs to meet in person.

Why would this officer "need" to meet the victim at their residence?

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:12:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Yesterday's victim is today's suspect.

If your the assault victim, you might now have a warrant for something else.  I'd try to take care of it by doing whatever you were supposed to do in the first place, or by going to the county jail and turning yourself in.

Or, it's possible that the suspect in the first case is now a suspect in another, and an officer wants some info about the guy.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:18:13 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

If your the assault victim, you might now have a warrant for something else.  I'd try to take care of it by doing whatever you were supposed to do in the first place, or by going to the county jail and turning yourself in.
Or, it's possible that the suspect in the first case is now a suspect in another, and an officer wants some info about the guy.

Why not just say that then?

My guess- "The date you have to be in court has changed, but I can't tell you when over the phone.  Perhaps we could meet for drinks and a romantic movie to discuss it?  I assure you it's official business."

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:36:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

That would be interesting if that person had a warrant for something else which I highly doubt. I am starting to wonder a bit since the "victim" was actually the aggressor and tried to turn themselves in after the "aggressor" was arrested.

I'm trying to figure this out so the person doesn't have to consult legal council and fees. It just seem strange to have an officer call and state they need to talk in person.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:37:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

A person was arrested and charged with Assault 4. The victim stated the person never touched them in any way. A month later the victim receives a phone call by an on-duty officer asking the victim that he needs to speak with them and asks where they are, what are they doing, and wants to meet with that person at their residence to talk about a change of court date but wouldn't divulge information as to why the officer needs to meet in person.

They wouldn't. Have a lawyer present just in case.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:58:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Could be follow-up on the case, could be the victim's name came up as an associate of a 3rd, unrelated person and the officer want's to interview your friend in person to look for cues of deception when they say they haven't seen the person in weeks, maybe there is a court order barring them from speaking to eachother until the case is adjudicated and your friend isn't smart enough not to call the other party 437 times a day...   could be anything.

If there are any doubts that it could be any reason other than legit, just have the meeting in the lobby of the police station during the day shift.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably because it is very difficult to arrest someone over the phone...  

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 11:05:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

- could be an arrest warrant for the person.

I'd tell the officer you'd be willing to meet them at the prosecutor's office - and bring your own attorney with. This in the event the officer is afraid the case will fall apart and might be inclined to (illegally) attempt to influence the victim's testimony. I would hope this is not the case.

If I were the victim in this case I would probably demand the officer explain a little more on the phone and if he refuses, make a call his on-duty watch commander and demand to know WTF is going on that he's being so secretive about it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 11:09:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably because it is very difficult to arrest someone over the phone...  

that is a possibility as well.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 11:20:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'd tell the officer you'd be willing to meet them at the prosecutor's office - and bring your own attorney with. This in the event the officer is afraid the case will fall apart and might be inclined to (illegally) attempt to influence the victim's testimony. I would hope this is not the case.

This is what as far as I could gather would be. A "meet with me and if you testify against us this is what we could do to you" Thing. Something is definitely fishy in my eyes. The only contact this person should be having is with legal council or the district attorney. Not some officer (not sure if it was the arresting officer or not)
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 11:26:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
"meet with me and if you testify against us this is what we could do to you"

Dude...  I know the AO you are in... nobody's doing that over an ASSLT 4 pinch.  

The case was probably marked "needs follow-up" so some guy's SGT has his balls in a sling for keeping it in pending when there is no evidence or witnesses.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 11:30:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Does the guy who's accused of DV have a boss who's name rhymes with Governor  David Laterson?
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 11:39:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Does the guy who's accused of DV have a boss who's name rhymes with Governor  David Laterson?

good one!

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 12:12:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is what as far as I could gather would be. A "meet with me and if you testify against us this is what we could do to you" Thing. Something is definitely fishy in my eyes. The only contact this person should be having is with legal council or the district attorney. Not some officer (not sure if it was the arresting officer or not)

On the outside chance that there is actually a new court date and the person just needs to be notified of it, tell them on the phone and let them know you'll stop by and drop off any summons/subpoena or whatever the prosecutor issues to request them to appear in court. Could just be a doofus of a guy who has to make a mountain out of a molehill too.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 2:36:57 AM EDT
[#13]
I prefer to do follow up/interviews in person whenever i can....especially if this is a touchy case (Sounds like the victim is the suspect and suspect the victim) I'm betting the D.A. wants everyone re-interviewed.  If this is the case, I would want to do in person interviews....easier to get a read if someone is being truthful or not.

what part of OR anyways?
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 8:29:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Going with subpoena service for $100, Alex.

Brian
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 10:56:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Brian

my first thought too.

J-

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 3:39:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brian

my first thought too.

J-

** DING DING DING ** We have winners!

Two officers showed up and asked the victim if they knew where the suspect was living and said that they have heard that the suspect has been here. So a Subpoena service with a little interrogation.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 5:06:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brian

my first thought too.

J-

** DING DING DING ** We have winners!

Two officers showed up and asked the victim if they knew where the suspect was living and said that they have heard that the suspect has been here. So a Subpoena service with a little interrogation.

Could be they were checking to see if the suspect has violated the "No contact" release agreement from the jail.  Which would make a quick trip to jail.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 7:50:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Of course the victim was subpoenaed.  A victim is also a witness.  More times than anyone wants to admit, the suspect is already moved back in with the victim as soon as they're out of jail, and well in advance of any protection order expiring.  As stated, a quick trip back to jail.

A neighbor or friend may have called it in. "Hey, just wanted you to know, Mr. X is living with Ms. Y.  Wasn't he just arrested yesterday?  Shouldn't there be a restraining order?"  Automatic followup, no victim action required.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top