Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2006 5:42:28 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:24:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I agree with you that everyone in the household that can should know about the gun for safety. I've never shot a gun and only recently have been around them. I'm not against guns, just haven't been around and I've lived in NYC and Long Island my whole life. I am looking forward to learning about guns more hands on but if it was in the house, yes definitely, as well as anyone else who would be around it. ht
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:48:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:39:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Mona,
I agree with you 100%, but please remenber that type of
person is a sheep who belives the wolf only attacks others
not them. And is very hard to convince other wise.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:41:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Before I met hubby....  I never even SAW a gun up close let alone held one to shoot.  They scared me to death... FAST FORWARD...   Someone tried breaking in to the house while I was home alone with the little one.. My only defense.....  The Butcher knife from the kitchen and my 145 pound Rottweiller that I let Loose out the back door..  She chased them down the alley and I lost her for a good 15 minutes before she came trotting back all proud.. (they never got in)

Next day...  hubby has my at a friends shooting a hand gun for the first time... Takes me to lessons in propper handling and safety.. We buy our FIRST hand gun...  5 year later.. I have MULTIPLE birthday and christmas presents.. some I have not even touched yet!! LOL!!!

But today... I would not be without em....  Even our 8 year old knows propper handling....  Some may turn their noses up at that fact but....  In 5 years when he is hanging out with friends he is not going to be: "hey check this out"..  and wind up on the news for shooting his friend..

Like I tell my husband.. My first line of defense in the house...  My Rottie!! Let him loose and he will give me enough time to get locked and loaded...
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:53:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Some of the things we are taught when we were younger are difficult to shake.  I used to be intimidated by firearms, mainly because when I was growing up we were not allowed to touch my Dad's guns.  Besides the fact that they were dangerous, they were for the boys.  My dad would not even have considered teaching me to use a gun.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:51:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Some of the things we are taught when we were younger are difficult to shake.  I used to be intimidated by firearms, mainly because when I was growing up we were not allowed to touch my Dad's guns.  Besides the fact that they were dangerous, they were for the boys.  My dad would not even have considered teaching me to use a gun.

he was probably afraid his lil girl was going to out shoot him. Of all my years shooting, I took two differnt g/f's out shooting....both on thier first times, after getting familar with the rifle, were hitting things just as consistant as me, and at time further, which made me glad I'm on thier good side
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:10:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Its completely foriegn to me not to live in a world with firearms.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:48:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:12:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I was talking to a friend of mine a few days ago about protecting herself.  She is scared of her own shadow but is determined to be a victim.  I suggested a firearm, "no, I'd just shoot myself".  Well at least get some pepper spray or something "No, I wouldn't be able to find it it if I needed it"  I was getting frustrated so I just gave up.  I'll work on her again later.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:52:09 AM EDT
[#10]
My wife and I are both proficient with firearms.

20 year old daughter - crack shot with my Colt .45, thinking about a career in Law Enforcement
18 year old daughter - can't stand firearms, but understands how to handle them safely - load and unload etc.
16 year old daughter - prefers bows & arrows and knives, but can handle firearms safely and accurately - considering a career in the CIA or the FBI
13 year old son - has his own firearms (.22 rifle and a 20 gauge)and is a decent shot (popcans at 25 yards).
7 year old son - has his own firearm (.410/.22 combo) and is a decent shot.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top