Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2016 10:28:45 PM EST
OK, Joe shoots Bill.

You arrest Joe and take his gun.

You process it for fingerprints,record the serial number, maybe test fire it, then lock it up somewhere as evidence in Joe's case.

Maybe it comes back out in court, maybe not.

So where do these idiots get the idea that putting performance parts in a carry gun will get them crucified in court if they have to use it?

How possible is it,

A. That someone is going to take that pistol apart in the first place.

2. That same someone is going to be able to tell a Ghost Rocket connector from a standard Glock?

How common is it in a plain old Joe vs Bill case for a gun to be taken out of evidence and sent to a gunsmith or dept armorer to be disassembled looking for modified parts?

Is this even possible?

And before the "Well Massad Ayoob says," crowd comes along, Mas is a friend of mine and a good guy, but I don't accept everything that comes out of his mouth as gospel.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:30:05 PM EST
Only tested for ballistics or for a rare case of malfunction.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:30:44 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/25/2016 10:31:08 PM EST by Bravo_Six]
To be devil's advocate, in a civil case, any PI attorney worth his salt would have an expert inspect the weapon.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:33:37 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/25/2016 10:34:06 PM EST by charliebravo]
My personal opinion is that performance modifications would be more relevant in a civil trial. Most of the killings are done by gang-bangers with whatever they stole or bought off the street. Most couldn't tell you the difference between a Lorcin trigger and that of an Ed Brown 1911.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:34:50 PM EST
Isn't uncommon for my department to send them to our state bureau of investigation for ballistic testing which generally includes a inspection by the firearms unit.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:36:03 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bravo_Six:
To be devil's advocate, in a civil case, any PI attorney worth his salt would have an expert inspect the weapon.
View Quote

Correct. These things generally boil down to who has the best experts. If the state gets an actual expert and not some guy who "took a class on guns once," then upgrades and modifications to guns could be a problem.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:37:58 PM EST
Civil suit will get ya
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:47:01 PM EST
Originally Posted By TC6969:
OK, Joe shoots Bill.

You process it for fingerprints,record the serial number, maybe test fire it, then lock it up somewhere as evidence in Joe's case.

So where do these idiots get the idea that putting performance parts in a carry gun will get them crucified in court if they have to use it?

How possible is it,

2. That same someone is going to be able to tell a Ghost Rocket connector from a standard Glock?

How common is it in a plain old Joe vs Bill case for a gun to be taken out of evidence and sent to a gunsmith or dept armorer to be disassembled looking for modified parts?

Is this even possible?

And before the "Well Massad Ayoob says," crowd comes along, Mas is a friend of mine and a good guy, but I don't accept everything that comes out of his mouth as gospel.
View Quote

These things are not up to LEO's. These types of things are dealt with by the district attorney's office. A clean shoot is a clean shoot. Depending on state law is the 'victim' or their family might come after you with a civil lawsuit and whether that info is used really depends.

It would be the least of my worries.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:47:21 PM EST
Said trial lawyer or prosecutor would just introduce Joe's bragging on ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:49:27 PM EST
Originally Posted By ICEAGE:

These things are not up to LEO's. These types of things are dealt with by the district attorney's office. A clean shoot is a clean shoot. Depending on state law is the 'victim' or their family might come after you with a civil lawsuit and whether that info is used really depends.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ICEAGE:
OK, Joe shoots Bill.

How possible is it,

Is this even possible?

This ^^^

It's either a good shoot or it's a bad shoot.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:51:56 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/25/2016 10:55:09 PM EST by J75player]
OK, Joe shoots Bill.

How possible is it,

Is this even possible?

View Quote

highlighted the relevant bit.
a shoot is judged on were you justified in using deadly force or not. there is nothing on the statute at to what you used
for deadly force. doesnt matter if you shoot them with a highpoint, a punisher addition uber glock, or run them over with your truck.

that being said,
"I carry for defense a super duper uber custom 1911 because if (God forbid) I am put in a situation where
myself or someone else is in imminent threat of great bodily harm or death that my rounds will be as accurate
as possible. Minimising the chance of hitting an innocent bystander or shooting when I dont intend to."
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:30:35 PM EST
Well Massad Ayoob says,"[/span] crowd comes along, Mas is a friend of mine and a good guy, but I don't accept everything that comes out of his mouth as gospel.
View Quote

This!

I never formally met Ayoob, but we shared a friend (who has passed) and that assessment was his and is mine!
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:41:25 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/25/2016 11:44:43 PM EST by Dc204]
You erroneously assume we arrest Joe. Quite often Joe's info is retained after a statement is made and he isnt taken into custody, though his gun will get placed into evidence, but lots depends on the circumstances. But thats my experience. I am not aware of any instances of my former agency's homicide guys looking at individual parts. I dont think an aftermarket connector will sink you. It's the bad shoot overall that will sink you.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:41:35 PM EST
Joe should have done a better job hiding the body. Maybe spent that ghost money trigger on a shovel
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:45:38 PM EST
Originally Posted By KeithStone:
Joe should have done a better job hiding the body. Maybe spent that ghost money trigger on a shovel
View Quote

Sig line wothy......tooooootally sig line worthy
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:47:26 PM EST
i don't have federal jurisdiction...i don't give a damn about the specifics, just that it was the gun used in a local homicide
Top Top