Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/17/2001 3:41:43 PM EDT
I have an opportunity to obtain parts for my FNC from Belgium; barrel, stock, handguards, etc. Is there any law prohibiting my direct receipt of those parts? They would be shipped from private party to private party. Thanks for any responses.
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 4:07:00 PM EDT
Yes, it's illegal without proper import paperwork (ATF Form 6?). Barrels for an FNC will not be approved for import under the current guidelines. Doing it from private parties might sneak through the customs cracks, but is still illegal without the proper permit
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 9:13:38 AM EDT
How about stocks and handguards? Any knowledge or opinions?
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 7:49:42 PM EDT
I did some research on this very topic less then a month ago. I used my 2000 edition FEDERAL REGULATIONS REFERENCE GUIDE and spoke to lawyer/importer that brings firearms and parts in on a regular basis from Russia. Import regulations can be found starting on page 35. Such things as firearms, parts and high capacity magazines are imported with an approved Form 6. There is also an importer license that is issued by the ATF for the purpose of importing such items. A dealer may also submit a Form 6 for approval in limited cases. Such as for the purpose of his personnel collection or an item for a customer that is a resident of his State. 27 CFR Part 47 describes what items must come in with an approved Form 6. There is also a part of this section that describes bringing in limited items with no Form 6. Here is most of the text that would be interesting to us; 27 CFR Part 47 - Importation of Arms, Ammunition and Implements of War 47.11 Meaning of terms Defense Articles Any item designated in 47.21 or 47.22. This term includes models, mockups, ...... Firearms A weapon and all components and parts thereof, not over .50 which will or is designed to or may be readily converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive, but shall not include BB and pellet guns...... Machine Guns ........is a firearm originally designed to fire, or capable of being fired fully automatically by a single pull of the trigger. 47.21 The US Munitions Import List CATEGORY 1 - Firearms (a) Nonautomatic and semiautomatic firearms, to caliber .50 inclusive, combat shotguns, and shotguns with barrels less then 18 inches in length, and all components and parts for such firearms. (b) Automatic firearms and all components and parts for such firearms to caliber .50 inclusive. 47.22 Forgings, castings, and machined bodies. Basically just because an item is not completely machined you still need a permit..."except for such items as are in normal commercial use." 47.41 Permit requirement (c) A permit is not required for the importation of......(2) minor components and parts for category 1(a) firearms, except barrels,...receivers or complete breech mechanisms, when the total value does not exceed $100.00 wholesale in any given transaction. Conclusions: Seems to be according to 47.41 semiauto parts can be brought in without an approved Form 6 in small lots of less then $100.00 in value per transaction (excluding barrels receivers and breech mechanisms). If someone was wanting to do business in imported firearms parts they would need to get an importers license and do everything on a Form 6. BTW I just got a letter in the mail last week saying that barrels are okay as long as they are for replacement.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 1:44:05 PM EDT
Ekie, Thank you for that information. So it looks as though I would be able to receive a replacment barrel, handguards, and a stock--all in separate shipments, of course, without filing a Form 6. The "importation" in this case would be for personal use and not for the purpose of doing business. I think I may give it a shot.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 2:45:41 PM EDT
Very nice - thanks for doing the research, Ekie!
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 4:34:36 PM EDT
Ooops, guess that last sentence was not clear enough. You see effective August 18th, 2000 you could no longer get a Form 6 approved for a barrel or a receiver for a "unsporting firearm". Yet at the same time a Form 6 is required to bring in a barrel or receiver. It is still the case that a Form 6 is required. The change is that you can get a Form 6 approved for the importation of a barrel for a "unsporting firearm" if it is for replacement and not for a new firearm. I received this notification in a ATF newsletter just last week. Have not had the opportunity to study it real close yet.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 5:00:30 PM EDT
Understood. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 1:16:20 AM EDT
So what does that mean?Can you still get a barrel for a non sporting rifle?Also,I thought it only applied to surplused items(excluding the recs). I wnt a new barrel for a FMP G3,will I be able to get it?
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 4:37:26 AM EDT
As I understand it, you can still import barrels for non-sporting weapons, but the barrels must be marked "for replacement only" and cannot be used to make a new firearm, only repair a damaged firearm or replace an old barrel in an existing weapon. I don't have a CFR cite though - saw it in a recent FFL newsletter; I'll have to see if I can find it and post the info here.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 4:09:29 PM EDT
Shaggy Think you could dig that up? I keep forgeting about it while at work. Was thinking that replacement only had to be on the paper work not engraved on the barrel. Like I said though I skimmed it pretty fast.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 4:32:46 PM EDT
My FFL newsletter mentioned that "for replacement only" had to be on the Form 6, but nothing about requiring it to be marked on the barrel...
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 6:42:37 PM EDT
Ekie - You and Circuits are right; it only has to be noted on the F6, not on the barrel itself. When I got the newsletter I just sort of skimmed through it and knew there was some sort of notice necessary, but didn't pay too much attention to the details. Do you need a copy of it? If so, I found my copy so I could scan it if you do.
Top Top