Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2005 2:09:09 AM EDT
I was having a conversation with a black guy in my office and we where talking about why black people have lighter hands and feet.

He was saying it was becuase the sun doesnt hit there hands and feet as much but it didnt sound right.

I dont want anyone to get the wrong ideal about this question me and him where just wondering if anyone of you know?

Thanks
Cody
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:12:27 AM EDT
[#1]
The obvious answer is: Less melanin in those areas. Why there is less melanin in those areas? Dunno.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:17:56 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The obvious answer is: Less melanin in those areas. Why there is less melanin in those areas? Dunno.

what is melanin???
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:19:18 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
what is melanin???

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:20:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:24:51 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It's because when God made black people, he did it with spray paint.   And they are on all fours on the
newspaper during the painting.  

Hey, it's almost  as reasonable as any other explanation!

IBTL,  man.

But seriously,   I think it's a matter of skin wear.  Hands and feet are in contact with everything
else in the world far more often than any other part of the body,  so the skin is constantly being
worn away and replaced.

thats what i was trying to tell him but he didnt want to believe me
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:26:03 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
It's because when God made black people, he did it with spray paint.   And they are on all fours on the

IBTL,  man.

But seriously,   I think it's a matter of skin wear.  Hands and feet are in contact with everything
else in the world far more often than any other part of the body,  so the skin is constantly being
worn away and replaced.

holyshit
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:30:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:33:58 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

what is melanin???

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:40:18 AM EDT
[#9]
hmmm
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:45:14 AM EDT
[#10]
The anti-evolutionists aren't going to like this explanation, but it's because as black people evolved as a race, their skin became darker to cope with their relatively higher exposure to the sun (melanin is the pigment that makes skin [and hair, I think] darker. Albinism is a lack of melanin). However, the hands and feet did not receive nearly so much exposure, so the body didn't up the melanin there. Breeding took its course.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:54:42 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't know.

I don't think it is from wear; if this was true, manual laborors would have really white palms, and people like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson would be monochrome.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:02:33 AM EDT
[#12]
while we on on a skin color question, why are white folk's scrotums darker than the rest of their skin?

Then there is the whole pubic hair issue...

And the armpit hair..

Hair color in general.

And why do the French stink?

And why are Canadians so damn happy?

It all basically comes down to that there was a reason at some time for all these differences, and it ain't clear what it is now, nor does it fookin' matter.

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:20:15 AM EDT
[#13]

You ever get a sun tan? Your skin turns darker right? Ever see anyone with a sun tan on soles of their feet? How about their palms.

The question is not of hands and feet, its of soles and palms....get the difference? It's for the reason that was already stated. There isn't as much pigment in these areas. If you need to know more, why don't you ask Jeeves?

Bomber
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:29:39 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The anti-evolutionists aren't going to like this explanation, but it's because as black people evolved as a race, their skin became darker to cope with their relatively higher exposure to the sun (melanin is the pigment that makes skin [and hair, I think] darker. Albinism is a lack of melanin). However, the hands and feet did not receive nearly so much exposure, so the body didn't up the melanin there. Breeding took its course.

Neither will those with any common sense.

Black- full of pigment.
White- void of any pigment.

As you have already indicated your knowledge of pigments, riddle me this. How do you take something void of color and make it totally inclusive? You cant.

Some Blacks lost their pigmentation and thats where White people come from. Assuming one lineage, as we both have, there is no other explanation.

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:32:12 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

what is melanin???

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melanin
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:35:58 AM EDT
[#16]
In Before The Lock And The Ban.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:37:25 AM EDT
[#17]
why aernt there transparent skinned people? that would be neat.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:45:29 AM EDT
[#18]
I've know blacks who's plams are the same color as the rest of them.  I know blacks who's palms are as pink as a white babies ass.   Heredity.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:47:16 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

IBTL,  man.

worn away and replaced.

Eddie Murphy called.  He wants his bit back.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:48:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:49:19 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Neither will those with any common sense.

Black- full of pigment.
White- void of any pigment.

As you have already indicated your knowledge of pigments, riddle me this. How do you take something void of color and make it totally inclusive? You cant.

Some Blacks lost their pigmentation and thats where White people come from. Assuming one lineage, as we both have, there is no other explanation.

You obiously have a firm grasp on the color spectrum and how it works.
Did you come up with this theory based on your fingerpainting experience.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:58:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Add the lips to the list also. Bottom line, it's a common trait to all humans. I haven't been able to find out why ALL humans lack pigment in these areas although I read one interesting hypothesis. I'm just the messanger and I am not refuting not endorsing the following:

It may have been an evolutionary development aimed at communication. Light palms may have facilitated hand gesturing pre language. The lighter soles may have been a warning or beacon to follow when walking or running a la white tailed dear.

Once again....not my theory, just the only thing I could find so far addressing the lack of pigment in all humans in these areas.

Bomber
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:45:50 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Close. It's because they have to "assume the position" before they dry!

(I'm going to Hell for that one!)
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:51:59 AM EDT
[#24]
derogatory racial comments
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top