Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2005 2:57:15 PM EDT
Can Days of Thunder VS Kill Bill pt3 be far behind?

sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?series=wc&id=2144532
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 3:05:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh lord...

I predict he'll make the only NASCAR movie in the history of the planet that will involve swords and vampires.

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 3:06:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Has this segment aired on TV yet?
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 3:07:57 PM EDT
[#3]
The appeal of NASCAR continues to elude me. I guess it's a lot more exciting to watch in person than on tv.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 3:15:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The appeal of NASCAR continues to elude me. I guess it's a lot more exciting to watch in person than on tv.

Me too, I guess. I've never been to one, but, it must be like a hive of hornets buzzing around a track, one makes a wrong move and instant catasrophy....
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 3:23:47 PM EDT
[#5]
The appeal is not much different than drag racing, or listening to a Harley. If you like loud cars, or bikes, or jets, then NASCAR is alright. Watching the race is sorta boring. Smaller tracks are better. I am not a huge fan, but the people watching at a race is fun. I have lost interest in the high paid cry-babies in NFL/NBA/MLB/NHL, so thats where I am at.

Just saw the Tarantino bit. Funny!
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 3:29:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Plus there is always a flyover, and a ton of patriotism.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 3:46:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I guess it's a lot more exciting to watch in person than on tv.

It is more fun in person.  And it's even more fun behind the scenes, where not many people get to go.

My best friend's brother-in-law used to race Winston Cup in the 80s.  He also ran some ARCA races and we were invited to go to Texas World in College Station.  It was fun.  The car he drove had an engine supplied by A.J. Foyt, so A.J. was there with some of his guys making sure the car ran well - and it did, he took 1st there.

My problem is I would rather have a connection to something there and be involved in some way.  I can't just sit there and watch as a spectator.  I'll catch parts of NASCAR on TV, but I can't sit and watch a race start to finish.

Drag racing is better in that if you pay for a pit pass, you may get to talk to some of these guys you see on the tube and that's fun.  In 1992, we went to Pomona for the NHRA Finals for all the days - it was great.  Thursday is when everyone's setting up, so you get a chance to talk with them.  I'll always remember getting to talk to Eddie Hill and his crew (fellow Texans), Shirley Muldowney (got her autograph), and especially Bob Glidden.  What a gentleman he was.  I remember his comment as I thanked him for his autograph - he said, "no, thank you - you're the reason I get to do this for a living."

As far as the appeal, to each his own.  My dad always says that's why there's more flavors than vanilla.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 4:43:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I wish I had known he was coming to town, I would have tried to look him up and have a beer with him.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top